Do United Methodist still hang out here?

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
In another vein, there is no way the UCC could take in all of the moderate and progressive pastors in the UMC. There are more of us, by far, than there are UCC churches in existence. Also, be are Methodists. The UCC I not a Wesleyan denomination. It is also a congregationalist denomination. We'd not fit.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I cannot believe that John Wesley would ever accept the idea that a human written set of rules would allow us to set aside our obedience to Holy Scripture.

Indeed, on this point we agree.

Our baptismal vows, which are also binding, say that we are to oppose evil, injustice and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves. If a provision of the Discipline leads to oppression or injustice, it also has to be opposed.

I agree but I do not agree that such a provision was created by the Traditional Plan.

At any rate, I really want us to discuss with other mainline and mainstream Christians how to save the mainline denominations. You indicated a willingness to let me tag you in that thread and quote you and I have vouchsafed to conduct the thread in accordance with strict parameters, including not directly discussing human sexuality but rather referring to controversial issues in order to avoid stirring up a hornets nest of interlopers who will flame both you and I for being liberal. I also proposed two potential safe space alternatives to Denomination Specific Theology if you preferred, namely the Moderate Christianity forum and especially Traditional Theology, which has a culture devoid of polemics and where people associated with the mainline churches tend to hang out.

I just desperately want to have a conversation, after we celebrate Pascha (Easter) on Sunday about how to save the mainline and traditional mainstream churches whose membership is either stagnant or shrinking, in some cases spectacularly, such as the especially tragic case of the Episcopal Church, for every major American, Canadian, Australian, British and Kiwi city typically has two great cathedrals, one Roman Catholic and one Anglican. I want to analyze attributes of churches whose membership is growing, including some continuing Anglican churches, some Orthodox churches (but not the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in North America, which is starting to lose members), the Assyrian Church of the East, and also the Traditional Latin Mass movement and the popularity of the highly liturgical monasteries of Elder Ephrem of Arizona (who I once met; he reposed in 2018), and I want your opinions and the opinions of representatives of other mainline and mainstream Protestant denominations, including Episcopalians and other mainline Anglicans, the ELCA, the PCUSA, the SBC, the LCMS, the UCC, the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ, the Reformed Church in America, and pretty much anyone else in this category, as well as representatives of Orthodox churches which are expanding and contracting and Roman Catholics who are contracting, but manage to get a full house at the Tridentine liturgy.

I believe, based on earlier remarks you and @seeking.IAM made, that we might actually agree on a solution, one involving liturgical worship services and Wesleyan concepts that are applicable outside of Methodism, and I want to hear everyone’s ideas. The reason why I am into congregationalism now is because beautiful high church liturgical congregationalism is dying just as the UCC is dying; there is only one traditional Congregational church left in Boston, due to the UCC moving in other directions and the theft of our parishes and Harvard by the Unitarians in the late 18th and early 19th century (if only the Puritans had spent time thinking of ways to prevent a congregation from converting to a different religion from Christianity rather than executing innocent people on bogus accusations of witchcraft, and just after Puritanism became the more refined and less radical Congregationalist Christian Church and had its issues worked out by folks like Rev. Jonathan Edwards, who was a preacher perfectly suited for the 1700s but whose legendary sermon Sinners In The Hands of an Angry God would probably not have the desired effect today, we were hit with the Unitarian schism, and lost among other things the Old Ship Church in Providence, the oldest in the US. And the Unitarian Universalist Association and other heretical groups like the Mormons and the J/Ws, who are especially noxious because their religion, also called the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, practices Scientology—style shunning, has rigid discipline, bans blood transfusions based on an absurd reading of Acts 15, and publishes an intentionally corrupted Bible to defend their Arian belief system, in which John 1:1 and probably other verses have been tampered with, are taking members from our Christian churches. It is dreadful and we need through God’s help to turn the tide against them. Indeed of such groups, the only one mercifully dying off is Christian Science, probably due to publicity over their opposition to the medical profession leading to the death of several children ostensibly being cared for by “Christian Science Practitioners” who you pay to pray (which sounds like simony to me) and probably the aversion to doctors that cost the brilliant puppeteer Jim Henson his life. But are we doing all we can do to secure their buildimgs and make them proper churches, and to prevent their members from becoming unchurched? Christian Science for many decades had an undeserved veneer of respectability; I thought they were just another denomination for many years thanks to the Christian Science Monitor and the formerly uniquitous denizens of strip malls, the Christian Science Reading Room, until I learned what they were about.

But such a discussion would be valueless without your opinion as a progressive methodist, so that is why I seek your blessing to start such a discussion, a strictly non-polemical discussion, on Monday, I think in Traditional Theology (which is reserved for members of the historic denominations and liturgical churches like ours) on how to arrest the loss of members and resume growing the church. As I see it such a discussion is worth it even if we can agree on one common point and relay it to our denominational leadership.

i hope you have a blessed Good Friday and a joyous Easter.

• Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
In another vein, there is no way the UCC could take in all of the moderate and progressive pastors in the UMC. There are more of us, by far, than there are UCC churches in existence. Also, be are Methodists. The UCC I not a Wesleyan denomination. It is also a congregationalist denomination. We'd not fit.

Indeed, that may have been a bad idea, which is why I propose we in a non polemical manner try to find good ideas with members of other denominations.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way, here is another wacky idea that probably wouldn’t work, but it would wipe out a cult: if progressive Methodists who vastly outnumber Unitarian Universalists joined their churches en masse and took them over, replacing their clergy with Methodist clergy, and restored them to authentic Christianity, that would be heroic. But they would probably catch on and change their bylaws. As you might tell, I have a huge bone to pick with what I call the Big Five Cults (Scientology, J/Ws, Mormons, Unitarian Universalists and Christian Science), because they claim to be churches and use our symbols and in some cases claim to be Christian. I feel we have an ethical duty to bring them back into the fold, and I think John Wesley would share this view based on his concerns regarding the emergence of Unitarianism, his opposition to slavery and oppression, his interest in advancing medical science, and his devout Anglican doctrinal orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Liturgist,

I'll be honest, keeping the UMC from splitting isn't a conversation I'm willing to have here, for several reasons:

1. Christian Forums leans very far to the right. There are few centrist UMCers here (or centrists of any kind) and even fewer progressives. The people who need to have the discussion aren't here.
2. It is 40 years (or at least 15 years) too late to have this discussion. We are splitting starting May 1st. There is no way right now that a split doesn't happen.
3. And, given the alternative of LGBTQ+ people continued to be treated as second class members, I'd rather us split than do that.
4. Methodists have split, reformed, and re-merged more than once. This is nothing new to our movement or denominations.
5. I don't see unity as being higher good than justice. If we can only get unity by unjustly treating some group in the UMC, then a split is preferred to unity if it demands forced uniformity.
6. You aren't a United Methodist. We are the only group that can solve our own problems. No matter how well meaning, non-United Methodists don't fully understand our doctrine, polity and culture. Every denomination has its own culture which isn't written in any document. And the problems splitting other mainline denominations aren't identical to what is causing our split.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
5. I don't see unity as being higher good than justice. If we can only get unity by unjustly treating some group in the UMC, then a split is preferred to unity if it demands forced uniformity.

I don't know how to award a "Winner" ribbon for one salient point of a multi-point post, so I'll just say this particular point resonated with me. :oldthumbsup::clap:

Reactions: Methodized
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Christian Forums leans very far to the right. There are few centrist UMCers here (or centrists of any kind) and even fewer progressives. The people who need to have the discussion aren't here.

Putting all my cards on the table: I am a very progressive Methodist, and I agree with every single other point you made. You're probably right that this may not be an ideal place for that particular conversation; especially since personally I'd probably end up inadvertently breaking some site rules because I'm fairly passionate on the issue dividing the UMC.

Not trying to start a debate/fight. Just chiming in to say that I like your post.
Ringo

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Liturgist,

I'll be honest, keeping the UMC from splitting isn't a conversation I'm willing to have here, for several reasons:

2. It is 40 years (or at least 15 years) too late to have this discussion. We are splitting starting May 1st. There is no way right now that a split doesn't happen.
3. And, given the alternative of LGBTQ+ people continued to be treated as second class members, I'd rather us split than do that.
4. Methodists have split, reformed, and re-merged more than once. This is nothing new to our movement or denominations.
6. You aren't a United Methodist. We are the only group that can solve our own problems. No matter how well meaning, non-United Methodists don't fully understand our doctrine, polity and culture. Every denomination has its own culture which isn't written in any document. And the problems splitting other mainline denominations aren't identical to what is causing our split.

Forgive me, I have not expressed myself. I am not proposing talking about keeping the UMC from splitting as I agree with you that it is a UMC-internal model (although I am a baptized United Methodist and grew up mainly in Methodist and Lutheran LCMS churches, so I do understand Methodist doctrine, polity and culture as it existed in the 1970s); I also briefly rejoined the UMC after resigning from the Episcopal Church but left; at any rate the division of the UMC is something I don’t want to debate with you because it is methodist internal and I think we both know our opinions. Also you are correct to point out an interesting fact not specific to Methodism: most schisms are temporary. While many people know of the North/South schisms and the Avignon Papacy, less well known are The Three Chapters Controversy, the Syriac-Armenian schism, the Antipapacy of St. Hippolytus, the schism between the Catholicos of Holy Etchmiadzin and the Great House of Cilicia, and the Bulgarian-Constantinopolitan Schism. I believe I could name around ten others from memory.

Rather, I am proposing you join me in an ecumenical discussion about how to arrest the decline in the membership of all the major denominations, a non-polemical discussion, conducted on socratic principles, in the safe haven of Traditional Theology, with the idea being to analyze and evaluate the phenomenon of membership loss and parish consolidation in the major Protestant denominations, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, all of which have aging populations and are not attracting the youth except in a subset of parishes. I want to explore with you and with some Anglican and Episcopalian clergy why that is. I believe, based on a remark you made, that we already have a shared opinion. That is the discussion I am proposing we have, next week.

I hope that clears that up and I wish you a blessed Easter my friend.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Putting all my cards on the table: I am a very progressive Methodist, and I agree with every single other point you made. You're probably right that this may not be an ideal place for that particular conversation; especially since personally I'd probably end up inadvertently breaking some site rules because I'm fairly passionate on the issue dividing the UMC.

Not trying to start a debate/fight. Just chiming in to say that I like your post.
Ringo

I agree with his post as well insofar as I never wanted to have that conversation, and to the extent I gave that impression by joking about a Methodist takeover of the Unitarians, I apologize. Rather I want to see if Methodized would be interested in an ecumenical conversation on identifying possible solutions for church membership decline. That is the only discussion I have sought since the start.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Ringo

Agreed. In most of the forums on this site you aren't even allowed to fully discuss human sexuality. So, there is no way to discuss justice issues that have led to our split either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Rather, I am proposing you join me in an ecumenical discussion about how to arrest the decline in the membership of all the major denominations....

Thank you for the clarification. But I don't think you will be able to have a fruitful discussion. The decline in major denominations is part of an inevitable cycle. Phyllis Tickle, now with the Lord, discussed this in her book "The Great Emergence." We are at the tail end of a 400 year cycle that historically occurs in the faith in which new movements start, and old institutions fade, shrink, die or reform.

We don't need to keep the current denominations from failing. We need a new reformation which may lead to the forming of new movements or major reform within some current denominations. But, most denominational entities, as we know them, are going to go through organizational death. Some may go through mergers that lead to reforms.

But we are dealing with a cancer that needs to be rooted out of US Christianity to save the Church. Being very blunt, the current marriage of Evangelical Christianity with right wing politics is leading evangelicalism to either destruction or a complete abandonment of the gospel. We have evangelical Christians supporting white nationalism, sexism, racism, and anti-immigration not to mention issues around human sexuality. You can't carry a tiki torch in Charlotte and also call yourself a follower of Jesus. Until this is rooted out of the US church, the name "Christian" is stained and it effects all efforts by even mainstream Christians to lead people to Christ.

Upvote 0

DeFyYing

Sep 8, 2020
NJ
✟8,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Fifty-year Methodist currently in exile. You can take the boy out of Methodism, but you can't take Methodism out of the boy. :wave:

Hi, although I am currently Lutheran I am interested in Methodist theology and was wondering if there is a “Wesleyan Anglican” scene, essenitally theological Methodists with Anglican liturgy/Book of Common Prayer. Wesleyites

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, although I am currently Lutheran I am interested in Methodist theology and was wondering if there is a “Wesleyan Anglican” scene, essenitally theological Methodists with Anglican liturgy/Book of Common Prayer. Wesleyites

I am not aware of any. I am not even sure I fit into your description. I was Methodist until I was about 55 so that has certainly shaped my theology. Since The Episcopal Church is non-dogmatic, emphasizing common worship not common belief, it provides a tolerant home for this former Methodist to hold his Methodist-influenced beliefs. I actually find Methodism and Anglicanism fairly compatible. The Wesleys were always Anglicans, so that helps.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

There is a group in the Church of the Nazarene which is actively working on a Wesleyan Anglican church plant: Wesleyan/Anglican

In addition I am a member of a group of liturgists; one of our two founders is a traditional UMC minister whose project, on which I have also worked, is a revision of the Sunday Service Book to have propers more in line with the pre-1989 propers found in the Protestant Episcopal Book of Worship, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. Given the impending schism, it may have to be rebranded as it was envisaged, like all our projects, as public domain, but approval was to be sought from an Open Source Liturgics project in the UMC. Also, I never knew much about the Nazarenes but it sounds like they might be more interested than we are.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is a group in the Church of the Nazarene which is actively working on a Wesleyan Anglican church plant: Wesleyan/Anglican

Interesting chap in the video. Looking at prior videos he seems to have been in a UMC until recently. Does his referenced church plant relate to the schism in any way? And is what he is referencing a one-man show or part of a wider movement having similar churches in other locations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting chap in the video. Looking at prior videos he seems to have been in a UMC until recently. Does his referenced church plant relate to the schism in any way? And is what he is referencing a one-man show or part of a wider movement having similar churches in other locations?

I suggest you ask him. I don’t know the man.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not aware of any. I am not even sure I fit into your description. I was Methodist until I was about 55 so that has certainly shaped my theology. Since The Episcopal Church is non-dogmatic, emphasizing common worship not common belief, it provides a tolerant home for this former Methodist to hold his Methodist-influenced beliefs. I actually find Methodism and Anglicanism fairly compatible. The Wesleys were always Anglicans, so that helps.

If I were not or could not be a United Methodist I would join the Episcopal Church myself. I love high church worship and the Book of Common Prayer. It would be a pretty easy transition for me.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I love high church worship and the Book of Common Prayer. It would be a pretty easy transition for me.

I continue to be a regular viewer of my former UMC's online services. I am surprised at how frequently I hear things during their service that come right out of The Book of Common Prayer. I suspect the congregation never knows the source, but an Episcopalian tuning in does. I have no doubt the minister has a Book of Common Prayer very close on his bookshelf. We're glad to share. We're all about common prayer and worship. :grinning:

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I continue to be a regular viewer of my former UMC's online services. I am surprised at how frequently I hear things during their service that come right out of The Book of Common Prayer. I suspect the congregation never knows the source, but an Episcopalian tuning in does. I have no doubt the minister has a Book of Common Prayer very close on his bookshelf. We're glad to share. We're all about common prayer and worship. :grinning:

Wesley, as an Anglican, of course borrowed a lot from the prayers of the Church of England etc. The Episcopal Church and the UMC are about as close as two denominations can be historically. When the UMC split gets finished I hope the full communion agreement between the Episcopal Church and the UMC goes through.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, a pastor need not necessarily be disloyal by serving a church outside of the UMC or even serving a non-Methodist church. I've known a UMC elder who served as pastor for a Presbyterian church for a time and one of my mentors who is licensed to serve a UMC church was ordained Southern Baptist, so there are provisions for pastors to serve churches outside the UMC or come from other denominations.

The associate dean of the General Baptist seminary I attended in Indiana was LLP at the UMC church in the town where the seminary was located, in spite of the fact he was ordained a General Baptist.

• Informative
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0