Do Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians worship the same God?

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟235,687.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I truly do believe that born again Arab Christians ought not address the Lord God as Allah.
But Arab Christans were calling God "Allah" long before Islam ever existed. Why should they change now?

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟75,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But Arab Christans were calling God "Allah" long before Islam ever existed. Why should they change now?
Were they doing that? That is not something I have been taught, nor is that something I have read in my own research.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟235,687.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Were they doing that? That is not something I have been taught, nor is that something I have read in my own research.
Yes, the term "Allah" doesn't belong to Islam. The term existed in the Arabic world long before Islam arrived on the scene, and it's basically the Arabic equivalent of the Hebrew word Elohim.

Below is an excerpt from Building Bridges by Fouad Accad:

It’s interesting to observe that, in rejecting the Athenian’s erroneous concept of God, Paul did not reject the word they used for God, Theos, which was the common Greek word for God.

Some Christians unthinkingly say 'Allah is not God.' This is the ultimate blasphemy to Muslims, and furthermore, it is difficult to understand. Allah is the primary Arabic word for God. It means 'The God.' There are some minor exceptions. For example, the Bible in some Muslim lands uses a word for God other than Allah (Farsi and Urdu are examples). But for more than five hundred years before Muhammad, the vast majority of Jews and Christians in Arabia called God by the name Allah. How, then, can we say that Allah is an invalid name for God? If it is, to whom have these Jews and Christians been praying?

And what about the 10 to 12 million Arab Christians today? They have been calling God ‘Allah’ in their Bibles, hymns, poems, writings, and worship for over nineteen centuries. What an insult to them when we tell them not to use this word ‘Allah’! Instead of bridging the distance between Muslims and Christians, we widen the gulf of separation between them and us when we promote such a doctrine. Those who still insist that it is blasphemy to refer to God as Allah should also consider that Muhammad’s father was named Abd Allah, ‘God’s servant,’ many years before his son was born or Islam was founded!”

god allah book.jpg

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Those who do not believe will face punishment in this life and the afterlife, those who believe and do good deeds will be rewarded.
Jesus is the ONLY way to be saved. There is no other way. Most religions have something good about them, but they do not offer salvation.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The one true God is the creator of all things, visible and invisible (Colossians 1:16).

Do not make an image representing the true God to bow down to it (Exodus 20:4-5).

2 Chronicles 35:

Josiah was a good king of Judah. He repaired the temple.

Neco was a gentile. By God, he tried to dissuade Josiah from fighting him.

i.e., elohim

A good king of Judah fought against a gentile king. God was with the gentile king. Josiah died as a result.

I am not even sure that Neco knew the name YWHW. Yet, it seems that the true God was with him.

Later, in Isaiah 45:

The Lord (the true God) called Cyrus his anointed.

Even though Cyrus did not acknowledge the true God.

In the NT, Acts 17:

but they did not know the LORD personally

god is a multifaceted concept.

the one true God

The Lord God accepted worship from Athenians who didn't know Him exactly. But then, who knows Him exactly?

Acts 17:

God is gracious to everyone who repents, even if they don't know Him exactly. See What about people of other cultures?.

Do Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians worship the same God? Do Christians worship the same God?

Most Christians seem to worship the same God, the creator God with no idols/images. Buddhists and Christians worship different gods because of their heavy use of idols. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam worship more or less the same God: creator God and no idols. I spent four years working in Saudi Arabia. The longer I stayed there, the more I felt that they were worshiping the God of Abraham. I had joined their worship in their mosques. Notably, only Christians can be born of the Paraclete.
Do Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians worship the same God? Do Christians worship the same God?
No they do not.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0