Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At a meeting today, we tried to scope out what needed to be covered under the umbrella of disability inclusion, and came up with five areas:

- Physical access
- Communication
- Mental health support
- Sensory environments
- Social behaviours.

That seems to me to cover pretty much everything, but did we miss anything, do you think?

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At a meeting today, we tried to scope out what needed to be covered under the umbrella of disability inclusion, and came up with five areas:

- Physical access
- Communication
- Mental health support
- Sensory environments
- Social behaviours.

That seems to me to cover pretty much everything, but did we miss anything, do you think?

would literacy fall under communication as well as not having english as a first language?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wheelchair accessibility isn't an issue with my church, but I'm not sure what they would do with a situation where someone is deaf. I haven't seen that issue raised and am not sure if we have anyone who knows sign language. Mental illness doesn't seem to come up in our church, at least where someone stands up and mentions it.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mental illness doesn't seem to come up in our church, at least where someone stands up and mentions it.

This is a common problem, though. Because of the stigma around mental illness, people don't talk about it, and then the church thinks it doesn't have to think about it.

I had this conversation in one church I worked in, where I wanted to do a workshop on supporting people with mental illness, and someone else said, "But we don't have any of that here, do we?"

Yes, we did. Anxiety, depression, bipolar, PTSD and Alzheimer's (off the top of my head), all within a congregation of about 60 people and all of those people having particular needs for pastoral care and social support.

When you look at the stats on prevalence of mental illness, if you have a congregation of any size, you almost certainly have someone with mental illness in it; but until we have permission to be honest about it, and know we will be loved anyway, we won't say so.

• Winner
Reactions: MarleneJ
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When you look at the stats on prevalence of mental illness, if you have a congregation of any size, you almost certainly have someone with mental illness in it; but until we have permission to be honest about it, and know we will be loved anyway, we won't say so.

I don't think it's a shameful problem that needs to be hidden, but a lot of people are private and don't want to share their personal business like that at church. As with the pastor, that sort of communication stays private so I'm not sure how many people she spoke to regarding their mental issues.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome which is one of the most socially isolating disabilities one can have.
How are you socially isolated when you have very good communication skills?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes churches do not understand the actual desires of the disabled.

I've been to churches where people feel the need to try to get my partner, who is legally blind, to have a braille pamphlet, even though she does not read braille.

It's not a huge complaint, but it's something I've noticed. This does not actually respect true diversity. She's more comfortable with the Catholic or Lutheran approach to things, which is more passive in regards to worship- if you can't worship like everybody else, that is OK and it doesn't warrant singling you out as "special needs".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a better writer than a speaker. If you were to meet me in person, you'll find that I'm not so eloquent and in fact very awkward, especially during my bad days.
Some people say speaking is left brain and written language is right brain.

265175_8f8169cb0a52d4dd77bc8b63620e17b1.jpg

Attachments

• right-brain-left-brain-fnl-598x441.jpg
    right-brain-left-brain-fnl-598x441.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...the Catholic or Lutheran approach to things, which is more passive in regards to worship- if you can't worship like everybody else, that is OK and it doesn't warrant singling you out as "special needs".

I get that, but what bothers me (and I have seen this too) is that in some places, rather than enabling people to worship in a way that works for them, people seem to settle for saying if someone's physically there, that's good enough. So, okay, we have a child on the spectrum, give him an iPad to keep him distracted and quiet an we're all good, kind of thinking; instead of doing the hard work of asking, what would we need to change to allow that child to participate fully in worship in a way that's appropriate for him?

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sometimes churches do not understand the actual desires of the disabled.

I've been to churches where people feel the need to try to get my partner, who is legally blind, to have a braille pamphlet, even though she does not read braille.

It's not a huge complaint, but it's something I've noticed. This does not actually respect true diversity. She's more comfortable with the Catholic or Lutheran approach to things, which is more passive in regards to worship- if you can't worship like everybody else, that is OK and it doesn't warrant singling you out as "special needs".

This is a really good point. If there is someone in the church who is new, is there a welcoming committee who could ask the kinds of question that would address the specific needs of all newcomers, rather than figure out who has a disability and go with that?

The church I attended for several years was very good about disabilities. There was a man who was fully visually impaired, several elderly who were hard of hearing/hearing impaired, there was one who used a wheelchair, and when stairs became difficult for me, they let me know I could use the elevator if I needed to. At one point, a family started attending, and they had a child who was severely challenged, non-verbal, non-mobile, and required extra care. At first, there were a lot of volunteers who would sit with him downstairs in the room where we had a speaker, so those who were in it, could still hear the sermon....like a nursing room for new moms. Eventually, though, the volunteers dwindled away and eventually there were none. They were still searching for volunteers the last time I attended there, and the husband/wife took turns attending. There were also those who had some learning disabilities, but they were loved and accepted as anyone else. Some had mental illnesses, some anxiety, a few with depression (not necessarily the major depressive disorder). Some had addictions (diagnosable). All were accepted, though there were a lot of people who were unhappy about it and/or did not understand.

Why is it that people can get sick from the neck down, but not the neck up. The church certainly seems more ready to accept visible disabilities.

I have also recently seen that accessibility goes deeper than we can imagine. I recently saw a video clip on FB that showed a handful of women with Down Syndrome, learning how to be a salon assistant. They were learning to greet customers as well as wash and condition customer's hair and follow the directions of the stylist (getting the right perm rods, foils, etc, and cleaning the floors). I thought that was a wonderful demonstration of accessibility! But the biggest part of the program they went through was to find salons and stylists willing to work with these women.

That is what the church will have to do - learn to work with them, find out from them what it is they need and want, without assuming, without judgement.

BTW - a social justice board?! How great is that (I'm a social worker)!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

polkaman

Jul 14, 2013
✟57,563.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
good discussion. We have made a few pews shorter to give people in wheelchairs a place to
park, other than the corners. we have the things you put in your ears so you can hear.
also we have a couple of big screens that have a lot of the service on it, like the songs,
readings, etc.
blind........I don't know what you could do better.
mental illness, case by case, you try to do the best you can.

Upvote 0

RadiantGrace

Jul 18, 2017
Russian Federal Subject of America
✟23,705.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I've been co-opted to a diocesan committee which is trying to work to help churches become more inclusive of people with disabilities.

I'm finding that often, raising the issue is met with one of two responses:

- Apathy. This isn't a problem.
- But disability inclusion will cost us a fortune so we shouldn't have to do it.

I'm wondering if I've just got a really weird sample, or whether this is a bigger problem in the church.

Does your church talk about disability inclusion? Does it do it well? If someone turned up at your church who was

- in a wheelchair
- deaf
- intellectually disabled
- with significant mental illness,

would your church know how to welcome that person, how to include them fully into the life of the church, and how to involve them in service as appropriate to their gifts and talents?

I'll be interested to hear others' experiences!

If you have 99 lambs, why concern yourself with the one?

I could give you all kinds of practical advice, but you'd fall into the same trap that has produced the results you find yourself in opposition against. You haven't been co-opted, you have been presented with a challenge that touches upon the issue of human dignity. You know what Christ did.. so discern why it was done..
To be blunt, this can only be addressed by finding a passion, not taking practical measures.

Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟439,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a sound sensitivity due to autism and for me churches are too loud. I wish churches would make the music lower for at least some services, even if they were to just have one quiet service a month. That wouldn't cost any money either.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most churches I've been in have a no-music option; (at my current parish both the Sunday 8am service and the Wednesday 10am service have no music). Would it be worth looking around to see if you can find a church near you with a service like that?

• Winner
Reactions: gerbilwoman
Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟439,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Most churches I've been in have a no-music option; (at my current parish both the Sunday 8am service and the Wednesday 10am service have no music). Would it be worth looking around to see if you can find a church near you with a service like that?
I've never heard of that here. Thank you, something I will look into.

Upvote 0