Texas
✟10,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know how to put all of this into words, but it's a very real thing that's bringing me down. I always wanted to be a very devout Christian. At one point I wanted to be a missionary. I have studied theology fairly extensively. Maybe it's my natural OCD nature, but I really wanted to serve God completely. God led me down a different career path in life, but I still felt that I was following His will. Well, fast-forward to my late 40s. I'm a SAH wife and a mother (jobs I dearly love and I believe are part of the divine plan.) I homeschool our adopted daughter and run our little farm. I teach Sunday School at church. Our family is blessed and, while we live simply, we're able to help a lot of people and charities. From taking home-raised food to food pantries, taking baby goats to "visit" the nursing home, and financially helping those in need, I think our family really has made a difference.

All of this sounds great. Maybe I'm just discouraged. I have fibromyalgia that causes me almost constant fatigue and pain. I literally don't have a lot of energy; the fatigue is like I'm getting a cold or the flu every day. One day it was like God just pulled the plug and since then, I'll occasionally have a flare that will literally knock me down. (And, yes, I've tried all kinds of supplements and drugs and also some quackery.) I can't be nearly as active as I'd like, and along with my back problems, I've had to give up many activities, and our house is never as clean as I'd like it to be. (We also foster dogs, by the way, in part because our daughter, below, has a real affinity for dogs and has what amounts to several emotional support dogs.)

I've homeschooled our adopted daughter who, we've been told twice, has an IQ of between 71 and 76, along with ADHD, etc. This probably isn't anything like what you're imagining. She's a wonderful person and appears and sounds very "normal," even intelligent. She just struggles academically and thinks on a level about three years younger than she is. Homeschooling used to be an exciting challenge, to say the least, but not it seems almost futile. She's 16 now, and reads (by the grace of God) at a 7th grade level. Some of her friends, though, are already starting college early or taking dual-credit, while she struggles to tell time on an analog clock, and her writing still looks like she's never studied grammar a day in her life. We've used Christian materials throughout her schooling, but she's also going through a "questioning" time, while her friend is a solid, devout Christian. I know that Biblically we shouldn't compare, but sometimes, honestly, it's hard to be faithful and continue to invest such an incredible amount of time and energy in her lessons when I'm really not sure it makes a difference. ** To clarify, I love my daughter very much, and I'm not disappointed in her given the challenges she's face in her life. Sometimes I feel that maybe we could have done more (although we've done all that we could, and it's driven me to prayer over and over.) There are schools on the East Coast ($$$$$$$$) that specialize in this type of education. In my worst moments I wonder if that might have been better for her, but logically I know that, while it might have had some advantages, it would also have had some SERIOUS problems, other than just the financial challenge. For one, we love our daughter, she loves living here on the farm with her dogs, and she's learned some really practical vocational skills here. Sometimes I just second-guess myself, though, and wish I could have waved a magic wand and made all her struggles disappear.)

I teach kids' Sunday school, but I don't know that I'm really good at it. I try to be fun and creative, but I'm a very logical, serious, detail-oriented person and I don't like the fluffy lessons so often taught to kids. We DO crafts and things (right now we're making hats for charity), but sometimes I feel that I'm just in the wrong place. I can only hope that maybe I'm planting some kind of a seed.

It's also hard at church (we go to a little bitty church.) I'm going to come out and say this here even if it sounds boastful. I have a superior IQ (maybe in the upper 2%, while our daughter is in the lower 2%), am a historian, and have studied more theology than most people in our church. Maybe I'm even a little bit Asperger's. I like people, but just don't fit in well. It's really uncomfortable. In some churches we've been to, I've known more theology than the pastor. I know this isn't as important, perhaps, as having the Holy Spirit, but when you hear someone teaching something that's just completely WRONG historically and theologically, or something that's completely crackpot, and you can't even say anything or have a dialog about it, that's really stressful. Our friend is a Sunday School superintendent, and yet doesn't know the first thing about history, and he doesn't even realize that Baptists are Protestants. Yet because I'm a woman, I feel that I "shouldn't teach a man," so I bite my tongue. It's honestly getting pretty sore. (Yes, if we had a women's Sunday school class, I would like to try to teach it, but we're too small of a church for that.)

This is even harder: again, I'm a little OCD. If it were up to me, we'd turn OFF the TV or maybe not even have one, and I'd probably dress in skirts all the time. (Again, no judgement, that's just me.) I'd really be more separated from the world and try to be more single-minded toward serving God. My husband, a wonderful man, feels differently about the TV, and he and my daughter watch some shows and movies that I'm very uncomfortable with, not because they're horribly bad, but they're just worldly and they do contain a lot of sexual references. I've tried to discuss this, but my husband really doesn't see things that way. He's the head of the house, though, and gets the last word on anything not clearly forbidden.

All of this isn't about my salvation; I believe in salvation by faith alone. Yet I just feel that I'm not being pleasing to God somehow; I'm not single-minded. I feel that I'm trapped in being a mediocre Christian and yet can't accept where God has placed me. It's like God has said, "You're too weird and just not holy or good enough to really do anything of any importance. I'm choosing someone else who's more normal, more energetic, and more dedicated." I just feel that I'll get to heaven and Jesus will say, "Wife- check. Mother -check. Decent person- check. Nice to animals-check. Sunday School teacher- check. You did okay, but you could have done better. Go on in and have a seat somewhere."

Maybe it's a mid-life thing. What do some of you think?

Last edited:

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟495,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It sounds to me like you're doing some good work right there where you are. Praise God!

I do understand your frustration. Have you thought about writing a blog?

I was feeling like I was at a bit of a dead end and writing a blog has been very fulfilling.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since you ask, I think you've explained your thinking and your challenges awfully well! Thank you.

What to do to make anything better, I don't know, though. Perhaps a change of church would make all that you do there be more rewarding. As for your daughter, we readers cannot appreciate all the nuances that probably are involved, but it seems to me that she is capable of finding her niche and doing well. Not everyone goes to college,and those who do often bomb despite that experience, so she may just become a successful florist or something else in keeping with whatever her talents are.

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It sounds like you're trying to do what you can to be a loving mother and wife. Also it would be frustrating if you felt that others were not practicing Christianity the way you are or you would like them to. But I'm grateful to hear you are actively humbling yourself. I can imagine it is not easy for you to be gifted in certain ways that your daughter is not (or perhaps even your pastor) but your gifts are not yours, they are God's. If he gave you a gift of intelligence that you feel you cannot demonstrate around others in the manner you would like then perhaps at this time simply use that gift in study to deepen your relationship with God. If you feel inhibited consider starting a blog or journaling or finding a way to express yourself.

You cannot control others ultimately, but you can show by your good conduct an example (perhaps some time in the future they will follow your lead).

As for your daughter please think about what she is going through every day. It must be difficult to be behind her friends and not to be able to relate to her mother in the way she desires or be the person her mother wants her to be. Your daughter does not want to be behind. She does not want to struggle. But I pray by the grace of God that she takes up this mantle that God has bestowed upon her with grace and aplomb. I am also sorry about your health. Sometimes things are taken away from us and we don't know why and may never get an explanation (this side of heaven) that will satisfy us. God loves you no matter what you do and he does not judge as the World judges (quite the opposite). If you believe you are saved then you are saved - I never read anything in the Gospel about a gold star or checklist to be filled out. You are already reigning in Heaven no matter what title or role you have on earth.

Please be patient with your daughter. And I pray for your family.

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We've used Christian materials throughout her schooling, but she's also going through a "questioning" time, while her friend is a solid, devout Christian. I know that Biblically we shouldn't compare, but sometimes, honestly, it's hard to be faithful and continue to invest such an incredible amount of time and energy in her lessons when I'm really not sure it makes a difference.

If you've raised someone who asks questions, then my guess is that you're probably doing a good job.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you've raised someone who asks questions, then my guess is that you're probably doing a good job.
I definitely agree. Asking questions and seeking out the answers takes the faith from being just from the parents to making it your own. Anyone who is sincere in their walk with the Lord has to go thru that process.

Upvote 0

GoatsandRoses

Jun 21, 2018
Texas
✟10,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I DO think about our daughter. I worry about her (and I know I shouldn't) all the time. She's the sweetest, most tender-hearted person in many ways, but that also makes her vulnerable and sometimes it's troubling what she doesn't understand. (Recently she just comprehended that boats sat on trailers, and were taken off the trailers at the lake. Our neighbor has a boat. She's seen boats. Things that other people pick up by osmosis sometimes just don't click with her, though.) I'm concerned that she may have reached her developmental level (about 13) already. Part of the struggle is that we worry if she'll really be competent enough to function on her own in 2 years; she's only 16 now), or if she'll need additional help. But how may 18-year-olds have life by the tail? I certainly didn't. Most people would never dream that she has any struggles because she's so verbal, funny, and great at technology. In a way that's dangerous, though, because she can get into problems over her "pay grade" pretty quickly. I love who she is as a person, and her struggles don't bother me apart from the danger they might put her in as an adult. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make all her struggles disappear, but it doesn't work that way.

Upvote 0

GoatsandRoses

Jun 21, 2018
Texas
✟10,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As of right now, I think our daughter is probably heading toward something to do with dogs, maybe dog grooming or training. She'd be great at that. She also is a very good cook! It's not just her academics that would keep her out of college. Her developmental level right now is about age 13 or so, the doctor thinks, (she's 16) but she's had a few quirks. For a long time she had an obsession with being a dog, and she'd pretend to be a dog at every opportunity. Nothing would stop it, not us, not counselors, not friends. She's getting out of that finally, but she's still very much like a child in many ways. She's incredibly sweet, vivacious, and loving; everyone adores her, but she sometimes can't figure out how things work (like how to fill out a form at the doctor's office if there's anything unusual or different wording.) She looks like a normal 16-year-old (which makes her dad want to dress her in a nun's habit.) She sounds funny and smart (which she is), but many things go right over her head. If you ask her to do something, you have to be VERY CLEAR and detailed as to what needs to be done, and many bosses might not be able to understand that. Worse, the doctor warned me in clear language that she's going to be very vulnerable to men. "Telling her" or "talking to her" doesn't help sometimes; she can "know" something in her mind (like not to steal) and yet do it anyway under slightly different circumstances. Often she can't process that "being friendly" can be taken by men to mean something very different. Sometimes I get down on myself and wish I could have done more, somehow, although logically I know this just is what it is. We're just struggling to see how far she'll develop, and if she'll need a little extra help in life. We're already planning for her to live here at least into her early 20s, and then we'll see how she's doing, and if she can manage her finances. Thanks for letting me talk about this, even if you never read it. I think the stress has just been building up slowly.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're better off than you realize. I'm a literal failure in life at age 26 with no university degree, no job, apathetic/depressed, backslidden(maybe even an apostate), and etc.

So when I look at your life I don't think "haha mediocre housewife hehe". I see a very successful woman who respects the church, respects her husband, loves her daughter, and is a great success in life with a great respect for God. You have already succeeded. Now keep going and I'm sure God has great plans for you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Porpoise
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
but when you hear someone teaching something that's just completely WRONG historically and theologically, or something that's completely crackpot,

Our friend is a Sunday School superintendent, and yet doesn't know the first thing about history, and he doesn't even realize that Baptists are Protestants. Yet because I'm a woman, I feel that I "shouldn't teach a man,

One of the best forms of education is the art of asking challenging questions.
So ask where does it say that, Why do you believe that etc and what about this verse.

It can be an uphill struggle but get permission to email your preacher and to discuss his surmons.

If rebuked because you are femail, the retort is God uses women when the men are no good and to bluntly point out historical or theological error.

Do talk to your paster, see what he thinks about your quitely pointing out areas where he is 'mistaken'.

As for medioce, Jesus said the first will be last and the last, first.
Paul spoke about how the dishonourable are treated with special honour.

We don't know how Jesus will greet us, but it won't be a 'oh its you!'.
He died for each of us and he will welcome each of us because he knows how we have served him.

Upvote 0