• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

depressed and or borderline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenessa

May 28, 2004
✟908.00
Faith
Christian
I have read every web site or piece of information that I can find regarding these topics. I don't know what to do now. I am on meds for depression now because that is all that my gp feels that my problem is. I know it looks like a scary list, but it is even scarier to me that I have prety much all the characteristics of the following signs of BPD.

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.

2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal
relationships characterized by alternating between
extremes of idealization and devaluation.

3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable
self-image or sense of self; or sense of long-term goals;
or career choices, types of friends desired or values
preferred.

4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially
self-damaging: for example; spending, sex, substance
abuse, and binge eating.

5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or
self-mutilating behavior.

6. Affective instability: marked shifts from baseline mood to
depression, irritability, or anxiety, usually lasting a
few hours and only rarely more than a few days.

7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.

8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling
anger; frequent displays of temper.

9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe
dissociative symptoms.

Borderline Personality Disorder is not one "disorder". It is to a great degree a collection of disorders that co-exist and often feed off of each other in ways that make life very difficult for people diagnosed with it.

BPD may co-exist with: Post traumatic stress disorder Mood disorders Panic/anxiety disorders Substance abuse (54% of BPs also have this problem) Gender identity disorder Attention deficit disorder Eating disorders Multiple personality disorder Obsessive-compulsive disorder.

:blush: I am too embarassed to tell anyone close to me that I am having such scary thoughts.:help: Any thoughts or outreach from anyone that has been through a similar experience would be very welcome. Thank you, Vanessa

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
just avoid the diagnosis if you can, hun. it's a label to avoid. few doctors understand it, and many run from people diagnosed with it, and view them as histrionics.... my doctor was careful to avoid diagnosing me with that, and i'm very thankful, becuase for me all the symptoms could be attributed to my dissociative disorder, and while most docs don't understand that one either, i think it's less disrespected.

btw, are those new(ish) criteria for BPD? is it DSM?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.