Denials vs delays in prayer: How to tell the difference?

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I’ve been reading through a lot of the old Puritan writings on prayer recently, specifically the works of Thomas Goodwin, Christopher Love, David Clarkson and Richard Sibbes, and the depth of their understanding and instruction on prayer have been an immense blessing to say the least.

One particularly helpful thing they delved into was how to recognize God’s answers to our prayers. And sometimes because God may deny our requests in mercy, that in itself is an answer to prayer. And sometimes He merely delays the answer to keep us humble and dependent on Him and to also increase our desire after Him in prayer, to keep us fervent and importunate in our duty (as the woman of Canaan, the importunate widow and the friend seeking bread).

But because I suffer from an overly analytical mind, and because delays and denials can look an awful lot alike sometimes, how can we know the difference between the two? What are some key differences that may help us to ascertain when a prayer has been denied in mercy versus just delayed in mercy for the sake of our continuance in asking in faith?

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I don't know about "God may deny our requests in mercy" never had that happen. For me its not what others say.. no one has some inside scope with God. We all have His word. His promises are YES and AMEN! So any promise God gave there is no prayer needed as in asking for something He already promised. The simple fact if we delight our selfs in the lord He will give us the desires of our heart as long as we commit our way to Him and trust Him He will do it. Christ what ever you ask the Father in my name He will do it. What every you ask when you pray believe you receive it you shall have it. Or if we doubt being like a ship tossed back and forth let not that man think he will get anything from the lord. Doubt stops God. So God working on the answer we doubt because He didn't do it based on our time table we then say "oh well I guess God didn't want me to do that/go there". God has to stop He can not go against our will. Christ all He could do in one town was lay hands on a few and teach because of? Doubt.

Now if we know He hears us then we know we have the petitions/prayers we asked for. Hmm Gods will what is it? Hello His WORD! Its like your scared He already promised.. the joy of the lord is your strength. God has not give you the spirit of fear but of power love and a sound mind. He already gave us peace the world does not understand and then Christ gave us His peace. We put on the whole armor of God.. we are strong in the power of His might. On and on and on. If we pray according to His word, goes in line with His word.. always happens.

But reading about FAITH are we? I been here over 20years and FAITH is never on the front page. Its always some kind of news. On the other forums I am on its not talked about nor prayer. He told you OT He answered before you even finished praying. Now there are many times it seems GOD is saying now but.. He is not saying now. Its written you have not because you ask not or your asking wrong. Yeah I am 62 and never known God to say NO.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My experience:

Delays: you're expecting it to be a denial but an overwhelming confidence suddenly floods you, accompanied by a sense of grace, mercy, hope, faith, hope, & belief, none of which you were expecting.

Denials: silence, & a sense you are in the wrong.

Reactions: leothelioness
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose another question that could be asked is how long must we wait for prayer to be answered?
Do you mean when there's a delay? Or do you get an answer period if it's a denial or delay?

Either case I don't know. I guess after a long period of diligent & routine prayer (routine here means not in the language, but frequency)

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟289,999.00
Faith
Christian
A delay often feels like you're watching a long, complex movie - there's a sense of "it's definitely not the end yet, but the way this is all unfolding looks very promising." - In this case, you're willing to just enjoy the ride. I don't even care about the result at this point, because the journey is such a thrill.

A denial for me, is usually followed up very quickly with His (much better) idea. In some cases, this can occur almost instantaneously, even if I'm not consciously aware yet.

The ability to immerse yourself fully into the present moment is the only way to really have any success. Both in life and in prayer. As soon as you start thinking further ahead than tonight's meal, you're in trouble.

Reactions: leothelioness
Upvote 0