• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dealing With the Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Chronic migraine sufferer, here. 5-6 per week, usually lasting 3-12 hours, each.)

How do you deal with the pain when it's an always-there sort of thing? I don't like taking medication because feeling drugged isn't any better than feeling pain. Prayer and meditation works quite a bit, but not always.

The one thing I've found that does work is praise and worship. If I pull out the guitar and start singing, the pain goes away. I don't think it's just a matter of being diverted, but somehow, it really does go away, and this often lasts beyond the time I'm singing. :)

What other things have you found that help deal with regular pain?

Reactions: 0stat

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I am currently starting appointments with the regional pain service. I am learning relaxation, which seems to be helping, you know breathing visualisation that sort of thing

One thing I have found brilliant is aqua jogging, basically where you strap on a float belt and run up and own in a diving well. Good exercise and no impact. For me its great with chronic pain and arthritis in my feet and knees

Upvote 0

chris91

Jan 16, 2006
✟160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand your pain somewhat. My wife has dealt with migraines for many years. She has somewhat of a headache everyday. It is very difficult to watch someone you care about go through this. Weather changes effect her headaches. Hang in there all. Take care of yourself and pray.

Upvote 0

sunshiinedays

Oct 18, 2005
✟16,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fortunately, some of my pain is preventable, so I mostly work on prevention. I don't like to take meds either. I have to schedule my life around my pain in order to have a normal kind of life. Migraines I only get occassionally, but I sure feel for anybody who has chronic ones. Most of my pain is in muscles and joints.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
romecoming said:
Do you mean it's a good way to exercise w/o so much pain, or that after doing it, the pain remains reduced?

Actually both... No impact when running, and as you all know, exercise produced endorphins which are natures painkillers, when I do it, I feel brilliant afterwards

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

Abiel said:
My migraines tend to be 'monthly' so to speak. I am afraid the only way I can cope is to shut down. Quiet, semi-darkness, and medication until it goes away. Unfortunately, this is not practical.

Not very practical if one has to work.
I get em about every other day.
Normally the quiet, darkness and meds work. Unless I let it go to long and then it's like I need to hibernate for a few hours to get it to subside.

Upvote 0

rosemoss

The Lord is my STRENGTH!
Apr 24, 2005
Kansas
✟29,116.00
Faith
Baptist
I've dealt with migraines since about age 16 and going to be 40 later on this year. In 2001 I had a hysterectomy and for exactly 13 months and 4 days, I DIDNOT have not one migraine....I thought I was cured forever, yea. That didn't last. They're back.
I handle the pain the best I can, alot of prayer, ice packs and cool, dark rooms.
God Bless each of you, I know how you feel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Advent Christian

Subservient to Christ
Jan 31, 2006
Nort Carolina
Visit site
✟605.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all; :wave:
For the past 9 years due to being in an accident where I was rear-ended by another driver; I have migraines along with having three vertebrates in my low back, two in my neck messed up and a nerve related headache which lasts 24/7, and I also have seizures.
I am not complaining simply giving background for what I am going to say.
When I first began this road I felt a great amount of pain but more importantly I felt mistreated. I felt as if my life was going to be ruined because of the impact that these ailments would have on my life. Praise God He opened my eyes to the fact that all things, including my current issues, are items He will empower me to handle and I can actually use them to His glory if I will allow myself to.
As to the question of how I handle the pain, well that is difficult for many to understand but I believe many here will understand. When pain is present continually then this becomes a normal feeling. One of the things I believe is advantageous to me is my headaches are 24/7. I have migraines but they are maybe two but mostly one a week and since I already have pain in my head they do not feel as severe to me as for others. Please understand I am not saying migraines do not hurt for unless a person has one they will not understand the pain involved.
However I do believe that the very fact my pain is a 24/7 pain it actually causes me to feel less discomfort from it then is there praise God. I will give an example of what I am attempting to say. Last year I went for around two weeks feeling poorly and finally my loving wife made me go to the Doctor with it. It turned out I had suffered three broken ribs and a punctured lung from a fall I had taken earlier that month. The Doctor wanted to know why and how I had kept pushing myself and I attempted to explain to him that comparatively I had little pain and really had not believed it to be something of that severity. I believe God places the strength into those whom are inflicted with adversities. I do believe meds have their place and I do use them some but not as much as my doctor would like. I can say ti-chi also will assist in learning to tolerate the discomfort from many causes. Anyway I hope I made this make sense, I am writing this quickly. I pray God brings comfort to all. As always my love to all and ay God Bless. :prayer:

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sunshiinedays said:
Fortunately, some of my pain is preventable, so I mostly work on prevention. I don't like to take meds either. I have to schedule my life around my pain in order to have a normal kind of life. Migraines I only get occassionally, but I sure feel for anybody who has chronic ones. Most of my pain is in muscles and joints.

Does the weather seem to affect your muscles & joints? It seems for me that with dampness & weather front changes I feel it more. When it's really bad I can hardly stay awake. I will go to bed & sleep for hours sometimes I feel better. & at times it feels like my muscles sort of freeze or numb so that it takes a few seconds to react to the brains command to move.

Anyone else know what Im referring to????
& God bless you all, bcause I have trouble with headaches & migraines. & a special prayer to those who live with all types of pain so much of their week.
My problems can vary due to stress level, weather conditions ect.

Upvote 0

sunshiinedays

Oct 18, 2005
✟16,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does the weather seem to affect your muscles & joints? It seems for me that with dampness & weather front changes I feel it more. When it's really bad I can hardly stay awake. I will go to bed & sleep for hours sometimes I feel better. & at times it feels like my muscles sort of freeze or numb so that it takes a few seconds to react to the brains command to move.

Anyone else know what Im referring to????
& God bless you all, bcause I have trouble with headaches & migraines. & a special prayer to those who live with all types of pain so much of their week.
My problems can vary due to stress level, weather conditions ect.

The weather affects me a bit, especially a couple of joints that I injured in the past. The worst for me is a combination of heat and humidity - gives me headaches and migraines. I understand it's the opposite for a lot of people.

I'm also really sensitive to certain kinds of movement and exercise. I get exercised induced migraines. Does that happen to anyone else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm also really sensitive to certain kinds of movement and exercise. I get exercised induced migraines. Does that happen to anyone else?[/quote]

My bthlw is Canadian:) Met my sis during cleanup of Hurrican Andrew:) Anyway he has to be careful here*east coast*, bcause the heat & humidity can cause him to have migraines.
He did find that taking magnesium(?) & not eating peanuts*trigger food* that does better.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Abiel said:
My migraines tend to be 'monthly' so to speak. I am afraid the only way I can cope is to shut down. Quiet, semi-darkness, and medication until it goes away. Unfortunately, this is not practical.
My migraines are mostly hormonal, and monthly in nature (at least historically). And when I got them, I had them for days. If I took motrin/advil often enough, it kept them under control and I could work, but there were times that, even with that, they got sooo uncontrollable that I'd have to go into a dark room and cover up over my head to keep all light out, and close the door to keep sound and smells out, because everything (except food) seemed to trigger them.

I think I have gotten old enough now that I don't have hormone-related migraines, instead I have migraines associated with the arthritis I have in my neck, which isn't much better because now they can come daily instead of monthly.

I have started drinking some tropical fruit juices that really have been helping. It keeps the pain to a tolerable level and often, it is gone completely, and I only need to take the pills occasionally.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
AngelDove1 said:
Hi everyone...

I have fibromyelgia (fibro).
Relaxing and not over doing helps me....
If I over do I pay the next day ..dearly.

Aroma therapy,soft music,and a good massage once a week.

Taking a nice hot bath helps the muscules relax.

No stressing is a biggie....
Hi Angel dove

Just been diagnosed with fibro..... In some respects its a relief to finally have a proper diagnosis. Have been through the ringer as far as testing goes. was starting to fel like a right royal whinger, and hypochondriac. I fears it was all in my head

How do you deal with sleeping.....I keep thinking if I cold get a good sleep I could feel less wiped out by a bus, but not sure if thats the fatigue kicking in

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.