Day 19, Proverbs Chapter 19

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Profound! And sooooo true, amen!
The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the Lord. - Proverbs 19:3

Hi,

Proverbs says that a person who does not fear The Lord, is the definition of a fool. So, when talking about Biblical things, that definition is the one I personally use.

We as humans have another definition of fool.

So, the above statement means to me, not only does a man/woman like that have a harder time coming to God, but his/her feelings also bother them about not accepting the reality of God.

The other items like a more difficult life, as God is still opposing their refusal, is there but really that seems secondary to the central issue, of God calling.

LOVE,

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,628,786.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
14 A father can give his sons homes and riches, but only the Lord can give them understanding wives. I thank the Lord for the wife of my son who is such a lovely mother and daughter-in-law...

17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord—and he pays wonderful interest on your loan! In helping the poor we show honour to the Lord and God accepts our help as if we had offered it directly to him.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Interesting. i did not that about his parents....

Oh, Brinny, you should read John's autobiography of his youth, called, A Painted House. Fascinating and heart-warming.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 19, verses 2 and 3 stood out for me:

verse 2: "Also, that the soul be without knowledge, it is not good; and he that hasteth with his feet sinneth."

Let's look at the first part of verse 2.....

it speaks of a "soul without knowledge", and what came to mind for me, is one who rejects knowledge (which is right in sync with "wisdom", and is based, bottom line, on the "fear of the Lord") literally "starves" themselves spiritually, and to their own demise. Reminds me of this verse: "My people are destroyed (perish) for lack of knowledge" ~Hosea 4:6

verse 3: "The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD."

Look at the second part of verse 3 "fretteth against the Lord".

fretteth = to eat away, corrode, gnaw away at, fret

This, in essence, describes an "adversary" against God. It's the exact same "fretting" that those who Moses was leading in the desert, turned against Moses (and ultimately God) when they were bound and determined to kill Moses, for instance. They were "adversaries" against God's chosen man to lead them, and ultimately against God Himself.

4208625650_56ef500f8b.jpg

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
27 Stop listening to instruction, my son,
and you will stray from the words of knowledge.

Hi,

This one. This one stood out today. It is how for me, I cannot exist apart from even Proverbs, in The Bible, for very long.

Twas only.

Twas only four months or so
It was that recently or so

I flailed and fought and lost
I was lost also but did not know that

How can I be lost
How can it be so

Do I not know God
Are He and I not One

Then how just how did I become
Lost again

I did not read Proverbs for years
That is how

Soon enough
That very day

Lost was far from me
I had The Lord

I am who I am
But still nothing without He

How can that
Will it always be

Why not did not one try to compete
Do I not know what is said of me

Yes I do know what The Good Book says
From awakening till sleep my thoughts are all bad

Would I want me for the God above
No, even I would reject me

So for eternity with me is fine
To commune with The Persons Divine

I really don't mind staying what I am
Nothing is that apart from I AM.

I don't mind because it is what Is.
He not I Is Divine.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 19, verse 18 stood out for me. It reminds me of the High Priest Eli and his two sons who were abominable and sinned blatantly and horribly in the Temple, even as they were "serving" in it, as Eli turned his eyes from it, allowing it, as their sins multiplied. Not only did God bring judgement against Eli's two sons, but against Eli himself. Eli's "legacy" was a shameful one and his end was one of destruction and disgrace.

Tragic.

"Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,082,715.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Samuel's sons walked in the same error...

1 And it came to pass, when Samuel was old, that he made his sons judges over Israel.
2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.
3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment. - 1 Samuel 8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Samuel's sons walked in the same error...

1 And it came to pass, when Samuel was old, that he made his sons judges over Israel.
2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.
3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment. - 1 Samuel 8

How tragic.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
verse 23
The fear of the Lord leads to life;
then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
d6f787d7d1a7f2bb289003c768723a7f.jpg

how glorious is THIS, that we can have peace, no matter what?

Precious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 19:

This is a PHENOMENAL verse.

It mentions the "fear of the Lord" again...

As is stated throughout God's Word, the "fear of the Lord" leads to LIFE and BLESSING, WISDOM, and FAVOR.

(i suspect there is MUCH joy inter-mingled with it.....it's such a precious study...for the more you "dig and delve" for wisdom, the more you find treasure after treasure after treasure.)

Reminds me of this DELIGHTFUL verse:

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jeremiah 33:3

Precious.

e5654ba43fd9fd8f4f727f02f276bcac.jpg

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Proverbs 19:

This is a PHENOMENAL verse.

It mentions the "fear of the Lord" again...

As is stated throughout God's Word, the "fear of the Lord" leads to LIFE and BLESSING, WISDOM, and FAVOR.

(i suspect there is MUCH joy inter-mingled with it.....it's such a precious study...for the more you "dig and delve" for wisdom, the more you find treasure after treasure after treasure.)

Reminds me of this DELIGHTFUL verse:

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jeremiah 33:3

Precious.

e5654ba43fd9fd8f4f727f02f276bcac.jpg

I particularly love that Jeremiah line, Brinny ! And the picture of the homeless man. Great to hear from you again.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I particularly love that Jeremiah line, Brinny ! And the picture of the homeless man. Great to hear from you again.

Thanks, that verse literally almost jumped out at me one day...and it's like a "light" went off. i was speechless and delighted at the same time LOL!

And thanks for your comment about the man in my signature. I believe that he is akin to the "angels unawares" spoken of in this verse:

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." ~Hebrews 13:2

By the way, that is an AWESOME quote in your signature. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Follower212

Apr 5, 2016
Florida
✟15,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was waiting for a new post and chapter but didn't see one. I didn't realize that each chapter has a new thread.

This one seems interesting today.

23 The fear of the Lord leads to life;
then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
Awesome quotes here, thank you.

Upvote 0