Daily Bible Verses Easter Season To Pentecost | Jesus Is The True Bread Of Life Eternal

WordAloud

Nov 14, 2012
✟19,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hey All,

This is my reflection for today's Gospel reading according to the Catholic lectionary.

I think I include an explanation within the reflection - as Jesus reveals himself more and more to be God the Son / Son of God - I don't want to get into too deep theology here - I'm expressing and sharing. All are welcome.

The post is here on my website: Daily Bible Verses Easter Season To Pentecost | Tuesday Week 3 | Jesus Is The True Bread Of Life Eternal – Listen To the Bible! | King James Audio Bible | KJV | King James Version

I also put a YouTube link to a psalm I read at the end.

Thank you.

It goes like this:

John 6: 30-34 Audio Bible KJV | King James Audio Bible | King James Version | Daily Verses​

30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

The people who have looked for and found Jesus now ask for a sign. Notwithstanding the miracle of the loaves and fishes, which they have witnessed, they now say they require a sign in order to believe in Jesus. It is in some ways akin to Christ’s temptation in the desert, when Satan tempted him to prove his divinity. We also recall Christ’s teaching: ‘It is a wicked and adulterous generation that seeketh after a sign.’ Despite all of this, Jesus is patient with the people, continuing to teach them and ask them to follow him.

It seems to the Jews as if Jesus is placing himself above Moses. It is as if they intuit that the New Law declared by Christ supercedes the Old Law of Moses. In doing so, they recall the miracle of the loaves and fishes. When Moses led the people through the wilderness, and when they were hungry, they were given manna to eat, which was bread of heaven. Jesus now clarifies the meaning of this passage of Jewish history. It was not Moses who gave the people bread; it was the Father. Now Jesus is come as the bread of heaven. Once more, we are called to share in the Lord’s supper.

St Augustine writes: ‘The Lord spoke of himself in a way which made him seem superior to Moses, for Moses never dared to say that he would give food which would never perish but which would endure to eternal life. Jesus promises much more than Moses. Moses promised a kingdom, and a land flowing with milk and honey, good health and other temporal blessings, plenty for the belly, but food which perishes; whereas Christ promised food which never perishes but which endures forever.’

The people listening to Jesus now hunger in faith. They have been given, by Jesus, the promise of the bread of life eternal. They now know that this great gift comes from God. They have heard that the manna in the desert was only a prefiguration of the true bread of life, which we receive through the Eucharist. The people acknowledge Jesus as Lord and they ask Jesus that they may be given this bread always.

‘If you search for the reason why a man loves God you will find no other reason at all, save that God first loved him. He gave us himself as the object of our love, and he gave us the source of our love. If you wish to know what he gave as the source of our love, you can find a clearer explanation in the words of the apostle Paul: “The love of God is poured out in our hearts.” Where does it come from? From ourselves? No. Where then? Through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.’ St Augustine

[I messed a few things up there in posting - but you get the idea. It's okay. ]