• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Cool resources

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here are three books that contain a fund of wonderful information of considerable use to those of us with ASC, and "autistic cousins", and a great many other people also:

1. Dinah Murray ed., Coming Our Asperger, pubd 2006, Jessica Kingsley Publishers.

Chapters on:

- a professsional (Dinah herself) attaining diagnosis in her later career
- telling a youngster he/she has it
- telling your schoolmates you've got it
- coming out to employers or authorities
- psychiatry
- social confidence

I found the insights a huge boost even though I had already bypassed or been though the issues.

2. Kate Kelly & Peggy Ramundo, You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy? pubd 1996, Fireside.

About recognizing ourselves with Attention Deficit Difference. Has got numerous chapters covering aspects of coping, self management, enjoying our relationships.

It thrilled me and warmed my heart and I dip into it again and again.

3. Donna Williams, The Jumbled Jigsaw, pubd 2006, Jessica Kingsley Publishers.

Donna who found out she is autistic has written and lectured a great deal and here she reviews the "fruit salad" of conditions we creatively adapt to as we learn.

Among those she devotes a section to "childhood bipolar".

I heavily identified with "rapid cycling" (in my case more so than Eddie Merckx) and "mixed states". (I've not taken pills specifically for this, but one medicine helped it as a good spin-off.)

Her first hand experience and empathy through pattern sensing give her vivid concrete insight into everyday situations we find "loud" and "in our faces" and intense, and which we or others may not quickly understand.

(I was "led" to Donna's writings after generalised healing prayer over the assembled crowd in a tent! Until then, I hadn't been very curious about my condition.)

Kinable

Word of Wisdom
Apr 12, 2020
Nevada
✟3,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While I am comfortable being on the spectrum, I haven't really come out as autistic to people I know. I've only told 2 people that I trust IRL because I don't want special treatment. I'd like for people to know but I don't think this condition could really be understood without having it. It would be nice for people to stop seeing me as normal but weird, then again I could be seen as even more of an outcast. I'll consider your recommendations but I don't intend to use medication because I don't see anything particularly wrong with me.

I live in a small town and my biggest fear is that once everyone knows I'm autistic, women my age would never consider me as a partner. I believe they'll think my autism would affect our kids in a negative way so they wouldn't want to have kids with me. That's why I think I'll become an even bigger outcast if everyone knows the truth.

Upvote 0