So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would even love a tilapia pool (that could be doable) because I love that fish and they multiply like rabbits too ( hey multiply fishes, where have I heard that before?) and I could feed my entire zipcode with a few small fishes (!) and all because of this flush question.

Clean water (a free fish filtration system) a place to poop (and flush safely) and some dinner to boot

This seems pretty economical and is like a win win across the board.

Ingenious Armoured, I love you
Good luck, keep us posted.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on the type, and the amount of use. "Drop" toilets traditionally need to be resited every so often, however I have heard many positive things about "methane reactors", apparently you can generate viable power supplies from them.

Yeah, I have seen an entire farm running on the methane of their own cows poop.

Poop is truly amazing, all might go out to draught but no waste is truly wasted.

It would only become problematic for your dishwasher if your cows become constipated (I would think)

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟96,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Check out calcium bentonite. Just a couple of tablespoons mixed in a jug of water then added to 1,000 gal. removes much of the heavy metals and other nasties. They attach themselves to the CB and settle out. You can buy it in very finely ground powder. It can also be mixed with water and consumed, aiding in the removal of toxins in the digestive system. It is used extensively in cosmetics, too and is very safe.
Calcium Bentonite is nothing more than a particular kind of clay, not to be confused with sodium bentonite which will clog everything up. It's used in the drilling industry to not only create a seal between the drill and the drilled hole but also to lubricate the drill.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bekey Water Systems...
water-purification-leader-berkey-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,792,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My aunt and uncle lived out in the Ozarks and had an outhouse. They would keep a big (10 LB.?) can of flour handy and there was a scoop to throw some in if there was a smell. Overall, there was no smell. It had good ventilation.

We collect rainwater and filter it but also put a chlorine tab in. So we use Rid-X for the septic system. Most folks around us have septic. It is common in Belize where I live. The locals do not throw toilet paper into the toilet unless it was for #2. They will throw if in a trash bag and then burn the paper trash in a small pit every week or so. It is odd to get used to, but perhaps it is to keep the septic system good for a longer time between draining it.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never hear do of putting flour in there, thats a new one for me.

Scotts TP sure isnt charmin but its septic safe.

Our system is over 30 years old, and from what I was told it was never pumped, and coming from up North and off public everything, I didnt know alot of what we were supposed to do (thank God for google). Locally I was sorta getting mixed info on that, one person told me to pump it out every couple of years but another guy told us not everyone does that and if you take care of it (not putting fats and various cleaners and all the rest you should have to) telling me he never had his pumped.

In the thirteen years I have lived here, I have done it twice ( but not too sure as to why, but just in case) what a gross job.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I never hear do of putting flour in there, thats a new one for me.

Scotts TP sure isnt charmin but its septic safe.

Our system is over 30 years old, and from what I was told it was never pumped, and coming from up North and off public everything, I didnt know alot of what we were supposed to do (thank God for google). Locally I was sorta getting mixed info on that, one person told me to pump it out every couple of years but another guy told us not everyone does that and if you take care of it (not putting fats and various cleaners and all the rest you should have to) telling me he never had his pumped.

In the thirteen years I have lived here, I have done it twice ( but not too sure as to why, but just in case) what a gross job.
What was assumed to be flour was probably quick lime. It holds down the smell thus eliminating the fly problem.

Plus another suggestion on removing chlorine from water. My in ground pool had a round pot sand filter. If you could find one of those, you could load it with sand, charcoal, and sand. When you pour your water in the top it will come out the bottom clean and pure.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What was assumed to be flour was probably quick lime. It holds down the smell thus eliminating the fly problem.

Plus another suggestion on removing chlorine from water. My in ground pool had a round pot sand filter. If you could find one of those, you could load it with sand, charcoal, and sand. When you pour your water in the top it will come out the bottom clean and pure.

Yes, thats it, I have heard of lime being used.

Thanks, I think that is also a good idea. I should have something like that ready

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don'T forget iodine tablets.

I have a few bottles of that potassium iodine, in case of nuclear radiation if that ever happened. Im thinking its the same thing?

I have to check to see if they expired or not.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟96,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know. I'd be a goner anyway. I'm allergic to iodine and it would take me out long before the radiation. On second thought, that would be a blessing. I'd die in minutes or seconds instead of wasting away by radiation poison. That must be a horrible way to go.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know. I'd be a goner anyway. I'm allergic to iodine and it would take me out long before the radiation. On second thought, that would be a blessing. I'd die in minutes or seconds instead of wasting away by radiation poison. That must be a horrible way to go.

See that? You found the silver lining ^_^

Yeah, thats why I grabbed a couple of bottles, I thought, why not? If you could eliminate that one out of the equation (go for it) lol

The chances arent too slim these days with all the nutcases ready to push the button on this whole game.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks FreeinChrist.

And to this OP here, I found a home brew link that shows the science of campden tablets removing chlorine for that purpose, and how much is needed for gallons there, I dont see how it can hurt to adopt whats there and apply it for the flushing purposes I was looking for. I had bought them in bulk for making wine and have plenty of these vacume sealed I can use then, I will keep this in mind for the septic system

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water_chlorine.htm

Which was linked from this discussion here

http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...sed-campden-tablets-to-remove-chlorine.30689/

There should be a septic safe thread for those on a septic system because so many people are on the municipal system and their recipes for stuff arent always septic safe.

And because a lot of the recipes for various soaps people are making, like home made dishwashing detergent, dishwashing machine detergent, down to the home made laundry detergents (which are meant to save you money) end up costing those who dont ask questions on a septic system even money in the end. Many people arent as mindful on the municipal (concerning what goes down their drains) because they dont need to be really. So you really have to be mindful of that (especially when you are on a septic system) to ask more questions (particular concerning whatever it is that will end up there) and how it could effect that in the end). Thats often why I can drive folks crazy being more specific of my needs on something, I try to think of cost, storage and room etc and how to minimize all of that (and have other like options).

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,792,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is a problem! Folks do need to do research on storing things.

What cleaning products do you use since you have a septic?

Our water from sinks and shower go through a grey water line to the yard. The big thing I need to worry about is trying to keep food and fatty oil that can congeal from going down. Is that how your sink water is drained?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a problem! Folks do need to do research on storing things.

What cleaning products do you use since you have a septic?

Our water from sinks and shower go through a grey water line to the yard. The big thing I need to worry about is trying to keep food and fatty oil that can congeal from going down. Is that how your sink water is drained?

You know, we live in an earthberm home which is a royal pain in the butt to add things to. This home (which the original owner built) was picked out of 1980 better home and gardens design, where in the magazine shows it fully submerged (so only the roofline is visible). The owner (thank God) decided not to fully submerge the house (which also allowed for windows) although he only built in one window per side of the house. The majority our light comes in through the center/ top of the home (the interior is wrapped around in glass) so that light reaches throughout the house. Its a pretty weird unconventional set up which I have found rather limiting. Things that are under ground level have their inconveniences in respects to adding certain things (and how exactly that has to be done). Having no basement (being on a slab) and the location of the bathrooms doesnt seem to make that possible. Being on a well, makes that unecessary because our water is free to the home (and the rainwater catchment system on the roof does a great job filling the pool). And I dont have plants to water so I would just end up dumping any greywater if I had any ^_^ I'm pretty limited, being disabled because of my back and I cant garden so thats impossible for me (and before someone tells me about raised beds I know) but cant afford it, and husband wont do it.
So...lol

What I do with any grease is wipe it out. I wait till the pan cools (saves all bacon grease though) and all the rest I will either wipe out (first). Each pan by hand (when used) or reuse the oil (if and when it can be reused) and then after the last time (wait till cooled) and pour the oil into a previously emptied oil container. You can actually use the used oil in various other ways also (just see youtube) for that. But very little oil has ever made it down that drain. Even milk with any fat, anything like that.

I might even keep whole milk, or cream that has expired in the refrigerator (in the back) and the used oil in a "used oil" jug in the kitchen by a shelf until the time my husband heads to the dump.

We dont have trash pick up here.

But I always make sure as much grease, butter, oil and fat (coffee grounds, and whatever else shouldnt go down there) does not go down there. No bleach through the wash (no fabric softner liquid) that sort of thing. I gotta watch guests (especially women not to put those "other things" down there). When I was told that I was like, ew, that is gross, what the heck? My husband chews tobacco, and he will use that spit cup of his till it looks like a black milkshake filled to the top (speaking of the grossest thing!)

Well, I found out he used to pour THAT down there (and I had an anxiety attack lol). Thats when I called the pump guy for the first time ( saying, oh my goodness, you gotta suck that stuff out of our septic system my husband has poured cups of it down there) LOL

Listen, if its going to happen it will happen to us, it just seems to work out that way. I ought to write a book with every such example included

I will use vinegar (great for windows) and baking soda and washing soda, and borax combinations. I typically dilute by half (with water) regular storebought dishwashing detergents Dawn (blue, which is also doubles for a great flea shampoo for dogs) and Gain dishwashing (I just love the smell). I also use homemade dishwashing powder, made of borax washing soda, kosher salt and lemonade mix. Although I have never tried them (yet) I do have a 5 lb bag of soap nuts as an option. For our floors I will use anything bought at the store. I am not an "all natural", I dig the scrubbing bubble stuff (only because I cant get down there and scrub myself) lol. We have one bathroom we use, the guest bathroom (the second bathroom) is never used, and a wipe down is all that is needed. I am no decorator, and definately not a clean freak anymore (I used to be obsessive) disability will break that from you and you either get more accepting of things not being as tidy or let it drive you insane (that took time for me). But I havent been sick in several years and so I dont think that is such an issue (at least one I used to make out of it). So... there is no way I could overwhelm our system even with using the already mixed store bought things. Which are not necessarily the all good and natural stuff (as some might count it).

Im not too nutty in those things, whatever works, if you can still get it, afford it, whatever.

I dont hang out at the green sections, sometimes people who are "green machines" get on my nerves, its like it can come off as rather cultic (sort of like some preppers) theres some nuts on that show from what I understand, never watched it but have heard rumor of some strange things.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,792,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My cleaning goes about the same. I make my own glass cleaner (2 c. water, 1/4 c.vinegar, 1/4 c. isopropyl alchohol, 1 TB cornstarch and 10 drops of orange or lemon essential oil). And my own tub cleaner (baking soda and Dr. Bronners castile soap and 5 drops orange essential oil). Folks here (who have septic tanks) swear by very diluted Muriatic acid for the toilet (need to wear gloves though). I have a disinfectant that I make similar to the glass cleaner but different essential oils and it helps with mildew. Other than that, I use a lemon oil furniture polish that I buy and Murphy's wood soap for a wood floor. We can easily find Borax here too.
Overall, it is way cheaper and I like having the ability to make it myself.

I also make bug spray and itch cream.

I have been told to try and keep food out of the grey water because cleaning and or replacing the tube going out is a smelly affair. So I use these:
images

It helps.

Upvote 0