8 oz butter (1 c) 16 oz

1 ice cube 2

12 oz flour (2 1/4) 24 oz

3/4 tsp soda 1 1/2 tsp

1 tsp salt 2 tsp

5 oz sugar (3/4 c) 10 oz (1 1/4 C)

2 eggs 4

2 tsp vanilla 4 tsp

5 oz brown sugar (1/2 c + 2 Tb) 10 oz (1 1/4 C very firmly packed)

8 oz chocolate chips 16 oz-----actually better with the chunks instead of chips

Brown butter over med/hi heat till golden brown--about 10 min. Remove from heat and stir to cool and prevent sticking. Cool slightly and wisk in ice (will boil over if butter is too hot!). Cool for 20 min. In bowl, wisk together flour, soda, and salt and set aside. In mixer bowl, with wisk beater, wisk in eggs, white and brown sugars, and vanilla on med. speed until pale and falls off wisk in thick ribbons when lifted--about 8 min. Switch to flat beater. Add flour and mix on low speed for 15 seconds. Add choc. chips and mix 15 seconds longer. Make sure everything mixed but do not overbeat. Refrigerate overnight--or up to 3 days. Use a 1 inch scoop, you can get 20 balls on a large cookie sheet. Let come to room temperature before baking. Bake at 325 for about 13 min. Cool 2 min before removing from cookie sheet. Place into plastic bag and seal tightly when cooled--store while still a little warm and they will remain soft. If crisper cookies wanted, let cool thoroughly before storing. If using the 1/4 c scoop, bake for about 16 min.

Never tried them with coconut--and I love coconut---just add some shredded coconut in with the chips I would think.
I used this recipe and added 1/2 C cocoa, 2 Tb black cocoa, 1 Tb espresso powder---(I think, house flooded when water heater broke and we ended moving out for 3 mths and I forgot to write things down, so going by a 64 year old brain)---I then replaced the chips in one batch with peanut butter chips, one batch I made with white chocolate chips and a third one with the chocolate chips. I do believe I increased the sugar by around 1/4C as the cocoa adds a touch of bitterness. I usually make the double batch and then freeze as hubby is totally addicted to these. The black cocoa is hard to find, (I get it at King Arthur Flour)but really adds a lot, the espresso increases the choc flavor and color.

This seems complicated at first, but it really isn't. I might add that I only use turbinado sugar so do not know how white sugar would act. You can not go by color on the chocolate ones as they are very dark---I suggest for either the choc chip or the choc/choc that you bake a test cookie first. I also prefer to form the cookies unto the cookie sheets before I refrigerate as the dough does harden up and makes forming very difficult unless you let them sit for a long time---just before baking I will let them sit for just around 5-10 min. Coldness of the dough does make a difference on how the cookies spread out. The warmer, the more they spread, if too warm you end up with one cookie sheet sized cookie!! Yes, I was dumb enough to do that 'cause I was in a hurry!

Changed to read 1/4 C instead of just 1/4 on adding the extra sugar to the choc/choc.

Last edited:
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
PS: You guys are not into Thanksgiving like in North America, right? (The date does change a bit between the US and Canada...)
Over here in the UK we don't have thanksgiving or anything like that. :(

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Over here in the UK we don't have thanksgiving or anything like that. :(
It was all about the first winter in the New World for those who arrived across the Pond. Now instead of the Mayflower we have to be thankful that Air Canada or British Airways aren't on strike, or something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It was all about the first winter in the New World for those who arrived across the Pond. Now instead of the Mayflower we have to be thankful that Air Canada or British Airways aren't on strike, or something.
We only celebrate Holloween, Christmas, Easter and all that.

Upvote 0