✟843,174.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A simple question:

I've heard Protestant preachers say "The Holy Spirit convicts a man of sin." Is this a statement Orthodox Christianity agrees with?

I'm Lutheran, and that is not the case in our denomination. The Law convicts. The Holy Spirit conveys Grace, Faith, and other Gifts. Mark

Upvote 0

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At Bible study we were talking a little bit last week about the concept that God sometimes keeps things from us until we are ready. He used the example of St. Augustine stealing the farmer's fruit. When he did it he viewed it as God's Bounty. It wasn't until later in his life that he came to the realization that he was also harming someone's livelihood. Although God may keep things from us, it's always for our salvation.

The way Father put it, we shouldn't confess sins simply because someone else says they are sins.Only when we realize personally that we have done wrong should we repent and confess. In that sense I suppose the Spirit may be convicting us of sins, or making us aware of our own faults, but this is always from a place of love.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.