Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The congregation I've been attending is small, filled with older mature members, and lacks community, I'm use to a bustling church community with small groups, evangelism, prayer groups, three services a week, you get the picture.

Is it typical for Lutherans to be more subdued and only offering one service a week? I've tried to make connections with some of the men in the congregation but most seem content to have a more transactional religion just once a week.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟812,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it typical for Lutherans to be more subdued and only offering one service a week? I've tried to make connections with some of the men in the congregation but most seem content to have a more transactional religion just once a week.
By and large that is pretty much my experience. One Lutheran church I attended but was not a member at tried to do a twice monthly meetup for fellowship with other men, but the church was very small (or rather had shrunk to be very small), so I am not sure that it worked out to continue.
I personally have never been to a Lutheran church that had services other than Sunday, although I know some do a Saturday evening service , but the Saturday service is a replacement for attendance on Sunday morning, not really an additional service where one would attend both.

Usually the most prudent way to get involved is to volunteer in some way. One Lutheran church I was a member at was active in groups, and volunteering. That was the best way to grow fellowship there.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟576,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Lutheran parish I currently supply has a mid-day mid-week service and some kind of ladies event every other Thursday. There's a once a month men's thing. When they booked me out through Christmas they told me they would like an evening mid-week gathering in Advent, which I agreed to. Most of the weekday stuff registers single digit attendance.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟412,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, this is not something that is unique to Lutheran congregations but is found across all denominations. While there's no shortage of things we could reflect on regarding this, both positive and negative, I think a healthy Christian attitude is this: We do what we can with what we have, and we do it prayerfully. If we do that, we'll do well.

There are many things in my own context that are less than ideal, but I try to work around them as best I can, and I think it's possible to find joy and fruitfulness in that.

Have you spoken with your Pastor? Perhaps you could ask if it would be possible for him to hold an exegetical or topical Bible study?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟812,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing that I really, really, envy about the RCC is the daily services and 24hr adoration. I understand the difference between RCC and Lutheran theology that precludes adoration, but just having a space to go to and pray at any time is so healing. Having the ability to go to services every day if you wish is enlightening to the soul for me. Some Episcopal churches in the area have more frequent services and prayer spaces, but the Lutheran churches do not.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about building an icon corner or home chapel? This is mine between the front door and a front closet. Below the icons is a bookcase with a couple of prayer books and service books like Vespers. What's nice is that it is the last thing I see as I leave the house and the second thing when I come in the house. The first things are my two dogs :p

For a Lutheran one, you could have the Bible, Luther's Small Catechism, and a hymnal from your church. Put in a cross or crucifix and a couple of candles.

1689770817441.png

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,354.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
By and large that is pretty much my experience. One Lutheran church I attended but was not a member at tried to do a twice monthly meetup for fellowship with other men, but the church was very small (or rather had shrunk to be very small), so I am not sure that it worked out to continue.
I personally have never been to a Lutheran church that had services other than Sunday, although I know some do a Saturday evening service , but the Saturday service is a replacement for attendance on Sunday morning, not really an additional service where one would attend both.

Usually the most prudent way to get involved is to volunteer in some way. One Lutheran church I was a member at was active in groups, and volunteering. That was the best way to grow fellowship there.
I've tried to volunteer but since the church is small everyone already has something to do. It's concerning, the future doesn't look bright...

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,354.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Lutheran parish I currently supply has a mid-day mid-week service and some kind of ladies event every other Thursday. There's a once a month men's thing. When they booked me out through Christmas they told me they would like an evening mid-week gathering in Advent, which I agreed to. Most of the weekday stuff registers single digit attendance.
That sounds ideal.
What about building an icon corner or home chapel? This is mine between the front door and a front closet. Below the icons is a bookcase with a couple of prayer books and service books like Vespers. What's nice is that it is the last thing I see as I leave the house and the second thing when I come in the house. The first things are my two dogs :p

For a Lutheran one, you could have the Bible, Luther's Small Catechism, and a hymnal from your church. Put in a cross or crucifix and a couple of candles.

View attachment 333463
You mean like this?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟812,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 333463
Lovely, thanks for sharing.

While having a dedicated area at home is fantastic, there is just something about going to a different place, a location set apart to be holy that is calming and inspiring. It helps me separate the mind from the other things going on around the house or otherwise location.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟812,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean like this?

Mine looks pretty much the same today as when I posted in that thread, although the facsimile of Luther's Bible has been moved off for right now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟812,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've tried to volunteer but since the church is small everyone already has something to do. It's concerning, the future doesn't look bright...
Yeah, that is tough. Do they have an after service gathering? If not they should, simply coffee is a start. If one person is doing it now maybe they could set up a rotating schedule? Or even rotate different things for people to do so it opens it up. If people have built their little volunteer fiefdom and don't want to share that is a more concerning problem that the Pastor needs to deal with as the whole point of volunteering is to be a service that is shared.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lovely, thanks for sharing.

While having a dedicated area at home is fantastic, there is just something about going to a different place, a location set apart to be holy that is calming and inspiring. It helps me separate the mind from the other things going on around the house or otherwise location.
Agreed, there is something to having a different physical space. I enjoy the Vespers services when we have them. We only get 1-10 people that attend so they arent large services. Of course, I'm chanting them so in some ways, I don't really get to relax during a service. However, I have gone up to the church when when it was closed and simply stood next to the doors when I was really troubled.

You could offer to do something similar to a Reader's service which omits the priest's parts and can be led by the laity such as Matins or Vespers. These are also used for family worship.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟412,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
One thing that I really, really, envy about the RCC is the daily services and 24hr adoration. I understand the difference between RCC and Lutheran theology that precludes adoration, but just having a space to go to and pray at any time is so healing. Having the ability to go to services every day if you wish is enlightening to the soul for me. Some Episcopal churches in the area have more frequent services and prayer spaces, but the Lutheran churches do not.

Yeah, I agree! I like the idea of a church being open all the time. Many churches in Europe are, but regrettably, it's not feasible here in Japan. I really liked visiting Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches on my holidays in the Mediterranean. Beautiful churches and very peaceful.

Upvote 0