Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said that eating the Lord's flesh and blood in an unworthy manner results in being sick. What is this sickness? I believe it's spiritual illness like spiritual blindness and uncircumcised ears and hearts.

1 Corinthians 11:30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

Ephesians 5:14 Therefore He says:

“Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light.”

Last edited:

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How should we prepare ourselves to take the communion, what are we to be thinking about?
Bearing our cross of reproach, hardships, and persecution. We are pressed on every side and cast down but not destroyed. And fearful, trembling and weak like Paul was.

We must be free from the love of money and the world. It's s idolatry or adultery.

We must be meek in wisdom, lowly minded, humble, gentle, harmless as a dove, weak, weeping, sorrowful yet rejoicing, kind, merciful, compassionate, like minded in all ways, and full of love, faith and hope

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟839,389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All tha
Bearing our cross of reproach, hardships, and persecution. We are pressed on every side and cast down but not destroyed. And fearful, trembling and weak like Paul was.

We must be free from the love of money and the world. It's s idolatry or adultery.

We must be meek in wisdom, lowly minded, humble, gentle, harmless as a dove, weak, weeping, sorrowful yet rejoicing, kind, merciful, compassionate, like minded in all ways, and full of love, faith and hope
All that is true, but when it comes to communion do we not want to try and experience empathetically being crucified with Christ since it is a memorial to what Christ did. The greatest Love is also being experienced at the time so we can tolerate the pain hopefully, but it is also my fault Christ went through this pain.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All tha

All that is true, but when it comes to communion do we not want to try and experience empathetically being crucified with Christ since it is a memorial to what Christ did. The greatest Love is also being experienced at the time so we can tolerate the pain hopefully, but it is also my fault Christ went through this pain.
My friend. I've thirsted and felt many things I want to forget or see in a new light. I've thirsted like Paul talked about in 1 Corinthians chapter 4. It's not for water.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All tha

In my opinion I've experienced the thirst of David when he thirsted like a deer and also the Lord on the cross. I'm fearful. Paul knew fear. He said so.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟945,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said that eating the Lord's flesh and blood in an unworthy manner results in being sick. What is this sickness? I believe it's spiritual illness like spiritual blindness and uncircumcised ears and hearts.

1 Corinthians 11:30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

“Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,

Paul was being hyperbolic. In othet words, exaggerating to make a point to a very disorderly congregation. No such thing as. " communion sickness ".
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul said that eating the Lord's flesh and blood in an unworthy manner results in being sic

Paul does not teach that..

Paul teaches that when a believer does not understand (discern) that the body of Jesus, which is the sacrifice that God provided for the sin of the world and to heal all diseases... when the Believer does not understand that Christ's Body sacrificed for them, makes them worth to receive communion, and receive their healing.. then because of their spiritual ignorance, many will die.

What does that mean?

Its means that if you dont understand that Jesus's Sacrifice (His Body) has made you worthy to be healed, then how can you BELIEVE by Faith, and be healed.

A.) You can't and so, the healing wont come, and you may DIE from your sickness.

That's what Paul is explaining when He says that many believers dont "discern the Lord's Body", correctly, regarding how it makes you worthy to be Healed, and worthy to take the Communion.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul does not teach that..

Paul teaches that when a believer does not understand (discern) that the body of Jesus, which is the sacrifice that God provided for the sin of the world and to heal all diseases... when the Believer does not understand that Christ's Body sacrificed for them, makes them worth to receive communion, and receive their healing.. then because of their spiritual ignorance, many will die.

What does that mean?

Its means that if you dont understand that Jesus's Sacrifice (His Body) has made you worthy to be healed, then how can you BELIEVE by Faith, and be healed.

A.) You can't and so, the healing wont come, and you may DIE from your sickness.

That's what Paul is explaining when He says that many believers dont "discern the Lord's Body", correctly, regarding how it makes you worthy to be Healed, and worthy to take the Communion.
Paul had infirmities and not healing

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul had infirmities and not healing

Paul said that a "messenger of Satan" came.

This is unclear.....

What is also unclear is if Paul was relieved later...

We do know that "by Jesus Stripes we were healed"... and we are to "come boldly to the Throne of God's Grace, in time of Need".

We know that God is the FATHER of His born again Children, and what Father want's His children to be sick?

God is not the author of sickness.
God is the author of Salvation, of Eternal life, of Restoration, of Resurrection.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is unclear.....

We do know that "by Jesus Stripes we were healed"... and we are to "come boldly to the Throne of God's Grace, in time of Need".

We know that God is the FATHER of His born again Children, and what Father want's His children to be sick?

God is the author of Salvation, of Eternal life, of Restoration, of Resurrection.
Paul had those stripes. It's the infirmities and hardship themselves. He didn't just talk but he died daily and he carried death in his body.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is unclear.....

God is not the author of sickness? The flesh profits nothing. Nothing can separate us from God's love but we will be sick in different ways. Romans 8

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul had those stripes. It's the infirmities and hardship themselves. He didn't just talk but he died daily and he carried death in his body.

Paul's whippings and stoning, and shipwreck, and hardships, were related to His Ministry, as he explained.

None of that is "infirmity".

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul's whippings and stoning, and shipwreck, and hardships, were related to His Ministry, as he explained.

None of that is "infirmity".
Pauls infirmities were the death that he carried in his body daily. It was illness too. He told Timothy to drink a little wine as medication. Hate to me is a snakbite. Evil words are like venom. Scripture says so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟738,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

“Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,

Note that he doesn't quite say "you will get sick", but rather indicates that the ways in which the Corinthians had been abusing the Holy Gift of Christ's Supper is why "many among you have fallen ill and some have even died."

Paul doesn't give us further information than this. But clearly Paul saw a connection between the ways in which the Corinthians had abused the Table of the Lord with certain sorrows which had befallen some in their number. And this does give us dire warning that we should respect and regard the Holy Table of our Lord Jesus Christ with true reverence and respect.

Consider the ways in which the Corinthians had been disrespecting and abusing the Lord's Supper. Fortunately, in virtually any church today, that kind of scenario is incredibly unlikely; because we have created an orderliness to receiving the Table. For most Christians, we come up and approach the Altar, where we receive the Bread and Cup; in some churches these holy elements are distributed while the Faithful remain in their seats. This makes the kind of abuse we read about happening in Corinth unlikely; and we can imagine that this kind of abuse may very well be why the Church began to celebrate the Eucharist in the way we are now more familiar with in the first place.

Now, this does not mean that we are immune to disrespecting the Holy Supper, for the Apostle still says whoever does not discern the body of Christ in the Supper is guilty against the body and blood of the Lord. The Supper is Holy, and is to be treated with full reverence and respect. For here Christ our God gives Himself, His own flesh and blood, to us and for us.

And if we are not honoring the body and blood of the Lord in His Supper, this remains a charge against us, for which we ought repent.

But, recall that God has also said, "Do I delight in the death of the wicked? says the Lord God, do I not rather that he repent and live?" We should not think that God is in the business of smiting--He is the Long-Suffering God of Mercy. His desire, even should we sin in spectacularly horrible ways, is that we confess our sin, repent, and come again to the Seat of Mercy in Christ Jesus our Lord. He remains, ever and always, a Loving Father who desires the return of the Prodigal. Christ is always and ever the Good Shepherd who pursues the lost lamb, even leaving the 99 to search over rocks and crags to rescue and retrieve us. Put more faith in God's love and mercy, trust in He who offered Himself and gave Himself fr us through the sufferings of His cross.

By which we may come boldly before the throne of HIs grace.

So take seriously what it means to sin against the body and blood of Christ by disrespecting the Supper--hold the Supper with due respect and reverence. But remember always the loving compassion of God who would rather endure the pain of suffering to save you, weak and weary sinner, than to see you lost; and so His call to repentance is for your enjoyment of Him and the bounty of His grace which is freely given to you. Respect and honor the Supper, not out of fear of judgment; but with joy for Christ your Lord gives Himself for you, for here is grace and mercy, life and abundance: the body and blood of Jesus Christ Himself, for you. Take and eat, take and drink, give thanks to God for His amazing grace.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note that he doesn't quite say "you will get sick", but rather indicates that the ways in which the Corinthians had been abusing the Holy Gift of Christ's Supper is why "many among you have fallen ill and some have even died."

Paul doesn't give us further information than this. But clearly Paul saw a connection between the ways in which the Corinthians had abused the Table of the Lord with certain sorrows which had befallen some in their number. And this does give us dire warning that we should respect and regard the Holy Table of our Lord Jesus Christ with true reverence and respect.

Consider the ways in which the Corinthians had been disrespecting and abusing the Lord's Supper. Fortunately, in virtually any church today, that kind of scenario is incredibly unlikely; because we have created an orderliness to receiving the Table. For most Christians, we come up and approach the Altar, where we receive the Bread and Cup; in some churches these holy elements are distributed while the Faithful remain in their seats. This makes the kind of abuse we read about happening in Corinth unlikely; and we can imagine that this kind of abuse may very well be why the Church began to celebrate the Eucharist in the way we are now more familiar with in the first place.

Now, this does not mean that we are immune to disrespecting the Holy Supper, for the Apostle still says whoever does not discern the body of Christ in the Supper is guilty against the body and blood of the Lord. The Supper is Holy, and is to be treated with full reverence and respect. For here Christ our God gives Himself, His own flesh and blood, to us and for us.

And if we are not honoring the body and blood of the Lord in His Supper, this remains a charge against us, for which we ought repent.

But, recall that God has also said, "Do I delight in the death of the wicked? says the Lord God, do I not rather that he repent and live?" We should not think that God is in the business of smiting--He is the Long-Suffering God of Mercy. His desire, even should we sin in spectacularly horrible ways, is that we confess our sin, repent, and come again to the Seat of Mercy in Christ Jesus our Lord. He remains, ever and always, a Loving Father who desires the return of the Prodigal. Christ is always and ever the Good Shepherd who pursues the lost lamb, even leaving the 99 to search over rocks and crags to rescue and retrieve us. Put more faith in God's love and mercy, trust in He who offered Himself and gave Himself fr us through the sufferings of His cross.

By which we may come boldly before the throne of HIs grace.

So take seriously what it means to sin against the body and blood of Christ by disrespecting the Supper--hold the Supper with due respect and reverence. But remember always the loving compassion of God who would rather endure the pain of suffering to save you, weak and weary sinner, than to see you lost; and so His call to repentance is for your enjoyment of Him and the bounty of His grace which is freely given to you. Respect and honor the Supper, not out of fear of judgment; but with joy for Christ your Lord gives Himself for you, for here is grace and mercy, life and abundance: the body and blood of Jesus Christ Himself, for you. Take and eat, take and drink, give thanks to God for His amazing grace.

-CryptoLutheran
I have different views on communion. I think the sickness is spiritual blindness

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟80,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Diet goes a long way. I took classes on what to eat and I worked hard to read up and study on how we need exercise and diet to avoid heart disease. I would not want her job though because everyone wanted to fight with her and keep eating their high fat food when the Bible is very clear we are not to eat fat.

Leviticus 3:16

15both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the lobe of the liver, which he is to remove with the kidneys. 16Then the priest is to burn the food on the altar as an offering made by fire, a pleasing aroma. All the fat is the LORD’s. 17This is a permanent statute for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.”…

This was an issue with Eli sons and they were considered wicked 1 Samuel 2:12.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Diet goes a long way. I took classes on what to eat and I worked hard to read up and study on how we need exercise and diet to avoid heart disease. I would not want her job though because everyone wanted to fight with her and keep eating their high fat food when the Bible is very clear we are not to eat fat.

Leviticus 3:16

15both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the lobe of the liver, which he is to remove with the kidneys. 16Then the priest is to burn the food on the altar as an offering made by fire, a pleasing aroma. All the fat is the LORD’s. 17This is a permanent statute for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.”…

This was an issue with Eli sons and they were considered wicked 1 Samuel 2:12.
The illness is spiritual not necesarily physical. It's spiritual blindness and not physical blindness.

Upvote 0