Not open for further replies.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Symes said:

Shelb5

You have made some very strong statements in your post.

Now being a Protestant, I am sure that what you claim cannot be supported.

So, you base your "sureness" on the fact that you are a protestant? You don't have anything else better to base it on?

I think you have just entered deep waters my friend, and you are going to have to tread very hard to keep yourself afloat!

Take the claim here that "Protestantism is man made 110%."

Show me how that is right?

What makes you think it isn't? Have you studied the reformers? Have you studied Luther's role in the massacre of 100,000 peasants? What do you reallly know of the reformers?

That is where Protestantism started . . about 300 years or so before Adventism . . .

Here is another claim.

" This is purely man made religion."

When the Bible and the Bible only is used how is it "man made"?
The problem is that the bible and the bible alone does not state or prove sola scriptura . . people wrongly proof text scripture, but always it is taken out of context.

Symes, what is the Pillar and Founation of Truth?

Is it scripture?

No . .. it is The CHURCH

(1Ti 3:15)But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground (foundation) of the truth.

The SAME Church that has always been and denies Sola Scriptura . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Symes said:

Shelb5

You have made some very strong statements in your post.

Now being a Protestant, I am sure that what you claim cannot be supported.

Take the claim here that "Protestantism is man made 110%."

Show me how that is right?

Here is another claim.

" This is purely man made religion."

When the Bible and the Bible only is used how is it "man made"?

Well nothing “Protestant” was ever taught until Martin Luther taught it. Sola scripture is an example, it wasn’t taught until Luther taught it.

I would say that is man made.

Upvote 0

rogerborn

Mar 17, 2004
✟149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Suzannah

There are many posts here to answer to, so if I may, I would like to try to answer them all here.

What I meant by Mary being married and having children is, that she would do nothing sinful in the process. That is all. People that are celebate are not more holy than people who are faithfully married and who bear faithful children. In fact, the leaders of the early church were required to be married and have believing children in order to be Bishops. (reference the Epistles of Timothy and Titus)

With regard to who is in the church, I am saying that Christians, immersed, born again believers in Jesus, have always followed him alone, regardless of any denominational affiliation they had, or what church they went to. IOW, the church of Christ is larger, and older than the Roman church or the Orthodox chuch, the Coptic church, or the Syrian church. Even in the later and divisive Protestant churches, wherein there are those “whose garments are white and not stained with sin,” who belong to the Lord alone.

I can safely say that the Lord's church is older than the one in Rome because it was founded on Penticost in Jerusalem many decades before the one in Rome. Until the Basilica was built over Peter's discovered remains, the Roman church was only one of many churches in the other prominent cities of the known world. But they all considered themselves to be His church, and they all spoke the same things and believed the same things, which is our orthodoxy.

Besides this, until the Lateran coucils in the twelfth century and onward, the dogma concerning Mary, the veneration of the Saints, and Transubstantiation was not evident in the Roman church. Therefore it is a more modern doctine, and now has become required. I do not think anyone can 'prove' these things to be of first century origin. More than that, placing a doctrine or dogma as equal to in importance with the Gospel is plainly taught against in Scripture.

To another question concerning the witness and the physical presence of the Church, remember that for the first three centuries the church met from house to house and in secret places. Yet it came to dominate the Roman Empire by the end of the first century, emptying out the pagan temples, and gaining right treatment for slaves, for women, and for infants. This was all done centuries before the church came to have a ruling clergy and priesthood, and before it built any of its cathedrals.

The church is the Lord's Kingdom, and is not of this world, as Jesus said. And he is the ultimate Shepherd of his people, calling them each by their names, and watching over them, lifting them up, and giving them the power to overcome the world, as he did. The Lord has never needed a large, visible, worldly organization to do his will on earth. His people are his church, and they, as individual members, are the ones who live by faith in Him. (Hebrews 11).

Suzanna, I ask the Lord's blessing on your efforts to follow him. It might be a good thing for you to join with the Catholic church. For myself, I could never swim the Tiber, however. I am placing my trust in the Lord alone, and I know he will provide all I need.

And a last question of you. Why are you quoting that part from St. Gregory of Nyssa, when that quote plainly denies the Godhood and the Lordship of Jesus?

thereselittleflower:

My statement about Martin Luther is based on his works, regardless of my personal thoughts about the man. It is evident that he was devout, both before and after his nailed his document to the church door, so long ago. His greatest statement of all was totally ignored by his own people, however. He told them plainly, never to call themselves by his name, or to name any church after him. Rather, he pointed people to the Christ, saying that Jesus should have the primacy in all things. Yes, he was a fallible person. Aren't we all.

"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

BTW, I love your string of Scripture you quoted on your post concerning salvation. Excellent!

Shelb5 (Michelle)

Concerning Scripture and Tradition. The total word of the Gospel, and all the things necessary to life and godliness was given to the church from the beginning. It is faithfully recorded in the New Testament, and it has not changed at all since it was given. Our faith rests on the Word of God, and it is not something that evolves over time into something else, as man made Traditions have done. A comparison of today's traditions and dogmas to the New Testament can readily show this.

“Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.” -Jude 1:3

“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” - 2 timothy 2:15

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” -2 timothy 3:16-17

I did not say “faith alone” Nor do I hold to that Protestant doctrine. Faith without works is dead. The book of Acts in the New Testament clearly shows that every convert recorded there had to do things that were necessary for their salvation to be effected. Acts is the faithful record of the works of the Apostles, as they built the Lord's church, and as such that record of their works is an excellent way for us to restore his church today.

I understand the teaching of the Virgin Mary, and I accept that she is to be venerated, because she was faithful when the time came for her to accept her place as the mother of our Lord Jesus. Thus she is the new Eve, and she should be blessed and placed above every other woman by us all. (Ihope that you can see I am no Protestant!)

Does this mean I must accept the later dogma that she was born without sin? I do accept that. I believe she lived a sinless life in her Lord, for she accepted that he was the Christ, the Annointed of God, and the Saviour of the world. (So are we all justified in the same way!) She was witness to all of the things that transpired in Jesus' life, and she lived a life of beauty and holiness, showing forth to the world that we should all worship Jesus, who is God, and the Son of God.

Please do not count me sinful if I read the Scripture that Jesus had five brothers and two sisters, and that his brother James was very prominent in the early church, charing the first Jerusalem Council (Acts 15). James led an excellent life believing in his Lord, and dying a martyr's death for doing so. My understanding is that being married, and bearing children is not a sin, nor could it in any way detracted from Mary's vivid and faithful life in any way.

Many of my brothers and sisters in Christ accept that she was always a virgin. I accept them, and they accept me, not because we disagree, but because our allegience is to the Lord alone, and not any doctrine.

thereselittleflower

As I said before, faith in Jesus is what we are saved by. But it must be an active, living faith, not just verbal assent to his deity and lordship.

As for the later creeds, I follow them, for they are where we get our orthodoxy, and our understanding concerning the fact that Jesus is both God and man.And you are right, they do protect us against heresy. All heresy, according to the early church fathers had to do with what someone thought about the Christ. Christology has to be defended against Arians, Gnostics, Pelagians, and all other false beliefs concerning the Saviour.

But everything the creeds say, they say because Scripture said it first. Scripture records the faithful witness of the Apostles, and their sound doctrine we are to live in. The Apostles in the New Testament times were already fighting heresies. But even the Apostles point us to Jesus, and his most excellent life and example to us. This is why we wear the name of Christ, and not the name of an Apostle, regardless of how holy and vernerated they were. They point us to Jesus, as do the Creeds. Every dogma that fails to do this is not a blessing to us, I think, but it takes away from the Lordship of Jesus.

Today, you are correct that there are many 'Christian' faiths, but they are not all orthodox. If one of them says that Jesus is not God, they are heretics. If they are preaching a different Gospel than the one that was once and for all delivered to the Saints (in the New Tesatment and in the times of the Apostles), then we are to not accept it.

Yes, Immersion, or Baptism, is required for salvation. There is no question about that in the New Testament. Centuries later in the church, Affusion replaced immersion. From the beginning, this was not so. My reason for thinking this way is that baptism is pictued in the NT to be a burial (Romans 6) and we are to be buried under the water, and raised to newness of life in our Lord. All the examples of immersion in the New Testament show this.

Later preachers, Charles Finney (1824) in particular, began to teach that being baptized is sinful, since faith must be alone, apart from everything else. Finney is the author of the 'sinner's prayer' and is the one who denied the sacraments to his members. His preaching was very popular in early America, and many denominations followed him.

“Belief, faith in Christ means to believe ALL and submit to ALL He has commanded us, and that the Holy Spirit, when He came, would lead them, His apostles, into all truth.”

You spoke well here,.This is the pillar and foundation of the Truth. I am not so sure about their successors, however. Many of them in many places and times did not follow the Apostles' sound doctrine. We have all fo their teaching recorded in the New Testament, however, and their sound doctrin is unchanging.

The Church IS the pillar and the ground of the Truth as long as she is faithful to the sound doctrine given by the Apostles, concerning the Lord and his witness to us. But it is the Lord who is to be submitted to, and nothing else, nor any man. Jesus has primacy in our lives.

As to submittng to Peter or his successors, I agree that Peter was given the keys of the Kingdom. This is why he was the one who preached the first Gospel sermon to the Jews on Penticost, and why he was the first to preach the Good News to the Gentiles, in Cornelius. But as we said, our faith rests upon the sound teaching of the Apostles, including Peter. Are the teachings of Paul to be discarded? Or the teachings of James, or Matthew?

Again, our faith must rest on the One they all preached about, who is the living Lord.

Jesus is our great High Priest, and he is our Advocate with the Father, who is always in his presence, interceding for us all. He alone remains our sovereign Lord and our 'Papa,' our Shepherd in the church.

I hope my response here has been given in a spirit of love, and that I have not offended any of you here on this forum.

I was directed here by Katmondo, who told me this is a forum for the Restoration Movement. Have I erred in coming here? If so, please accept my most humble apologies! I consider myself a member of the Lords, church, and as such, I am your brother. And I am still seeking to restore his church in this present age.

Love,
Roger

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God love you Roger, you have a lot of posts to answer.

Just a couple of points, the Catholic Church is that Church that began on Pentecost. The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church has nothing to do with beginning in Rome. The East Orthodox certainly was not established in Rome, and their roots began with ours in that upper room, so by virtue of that, we can honestly say that the Roman Catholic Church was not founded until the Anglicans who broke union with the Pope named us this.

Concerning Scripture and Tradition. The total word of the Gospel, and all the things necessary to life and godliness was given to the church from the beginning.

Agreed.

It is faithfully recorded in the New Testament, and it has not changed at all since it was given

Agreed.

Our faith rests on the Word of God,

Agreed.

and it is not something that evolves over time into something else, as man made Traditions have done.

Agreed, Luther was wrong to do that. He’s the one who did that; can you honestly say he didn't?

A comparison of today's traditions and dogmas to the New Testament can readily show this.

Absolutely false. Tradition and scripture never contradict and I can show you that. When you read the scriptures in light of apostolic tradition, there is no contradiction and in fact you see the scriptures in a whole new light as if scales fall from your eyes. Also the historical writings of the first century Christians, the early Church fathers confirm what was taught before there was a NT canon of scripture.

How do you think the scriptures were even confirmed as inspired and who do you think confirmed them? That is correct, it was the Catholic Church council of bishops, who verified using sacred Tradition, so it is impossible that scripture and tradition would contradict. Just impossible.

“Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.” -Jude 1:3

“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” - 2 timothy 2:15

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” -2 timothy 3:16-17

Now where does any of this say that scripture is the sole rule of faith and that tradition is not inspired and man made?

No Catholic in their wildest dreams would not believe that scripture is not 100% God's word nor that isn’t fit for teaching and inspired and wonderful but it is not the sole rule of faith and the scriptures even say as much.

John tells us that Jesus said and did more than what was recorded in the scriptures. And Paul says to not only hold fast to the written word but also the oral word. The bible says that the Church, not the bible is the pillar of truth. Why? Because the Church contains the fullness of truth, the fullness of God's word. Jesus said that “when the HS comes, he will lead you to all truth.” Who was he talking to? The apostles, not the bible. Who made up the Church? The apostles, not the bible. Who taught us after Christ ascended when there wasn’t even a NT at all? The apostles, which is the Church, not the bible. What means did God use to give us the written word? The Church, the bible did not fall from the sky.

I did not say “faith alone” Nor do I hold to that Protestant doctrine. Faith without works is dead. The book of Acts in the New Testament clearly shows that every convert recorded there had to do things that were necessary for their salvation to be effected. Acts is the faithful record of the works of the Apostles, as they built the Lord's church, and as such that record of their works is an excellent way for us to restore his church today.

Well that is great to know, but you do see the problem with Luther, then right? He invented many doctrines that are not biblical.

You mention a "church" that began before we even had any written gospel, can you cite me who or what is this Church if you do not believe it is indeed the Catholic Church?

I understand the teaching of the Virgin Mary, and I accept that she is to be venerated, because she was faithful when the time came for her to accept her place as the mother of our Lord Jesus. Thus she is the new Eve, and she should be blessed and placed above every other woman by us all. (Ihope that you can see I am no Protestant!)

In a way that really does not say as much because as you can see from my sig, even the first "Protestants" fully agreed with the Church on Marian dogma, none of the reformers had a problem with Marian dogma. I am afraid it is the Protestants who reformed the reformers who threw out Marian dogma. See? More man made religious beliefs and they just keep on coming with each new split.

Does this mean I must accept the later dogma that she was born without sin? I do accept that. I believe she lived a sinless life in her Lord, for she accepted that he was the Christ, the Annointed of God, and the Saviour of the world. (So are we all justified in the same way!) She was witness to all of the things that transpired in Jesus' life, and she lived a life of beauty and holiness, showing forth to the world that we should all worship Jesus, who is God, and the Son of God.

Amen. Many orthodox protestants and EO and Catholics as well as Lutherans and Anglicans also agree.

Please do not count me sinful if I read the Scripture that Jesus had five brothers and two sisters, and that his brother James was very prominent in the early church, charing the first Jerusalem Council (Acts 15). James led an excellent life believing in his Lord, and dying a martyr's death for doing so. My understanding is that being married, and bearing children is not a sin, nor could it in any way detracted from Mary's vivid and faithful life in any way.

Problem with this is, you are gleaning this from only a subjective view of scripture and you are not taking into account that even scripture itself in no place what so ever says that Jesus had blood brothers. There are many, many bible scholars both Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant who acknowledge that 'brothers' in the culture in which the scriptures were written can mean either kinship, cousins, or step brothers. Nothing, nothing, says they were blood brothers. So in light of this biblical FACT, that there is nothing saying Jesus had blood brothers combined with the first centuries Christian’s oral teaching passed down to us, we can safely say Mary was a virgin and remained so. Also if Jesus had blood brothers why the need to give Mary to John at the cross? There is more that points to she was than there is that points to she wasn’t.

Many of my brothers and sisters in Christ accept that she was always a virgin. I accept them, and they accept me, not because we disagree, but because our allegience is to the Lord alone, and not any doctrine.

And of course I accept you to as a brother in the Lord too. Oh my, we aren’t blood related are we? ;)

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
rogerborn said:
Suzannah

There are many posts here to answer to, so if I may, I would like to try to answer them all here.

What I meant by Mary being married and having children is, that she would do nothing sinful in the process. That is all. People that are celebate are not more holy than people who are faithfully married and who bear faithful children. In fact, the leaders of the early church were required to be married and have believing children in order to be Bishops. (reference the Epistles of Timothy and Titus)

With regard to who is in the church, I am saying that Christians, immersed, born again believers in Jesus, have always followed him alone, regardless of any denominational affiliation they had, or what church they went to. IOW, the church of Christ is larger, and older than the Roman church or the Orthodox chuch, the Coptic church, or the Syrian church. Even in the later and divisive Protestant churches, wherein there are those “whose garments are white and not stained with sin,” who belong to the Lord alone.

I can safely say that the Lord's church is older than the one in Rome because it was founded on Penticost in Jerusalem many decades before the one in Rome. Until the Basilica was built over Peter's discovered remains, the Roman church was only one of many churches in the other prominent cities of the known world. But they all considered themselves to be His church, and they all spoke the same things and believed the same things, which is our orthodoxy.

Besides this, until the Lateran coucils in the twelfth century and onward, the dogma concerning Mary, the veneration of the Saints, and Transubstantiation was not evident in the Roman church. Therefore it is a more modern doctine, and now has become required. I do not think anyone can 'prove' these things to be of first century origin. More than that, placing a doctrine or dogma as equal to in importance with the Gospel is plainly taught against in Scripture.

To another question concerning the witness and the physical presence of the Church, remember that for the first three centuries the church met from house to house and in secret places. Yet it came to dominate the Roman Empire by the end of the first century, emptying out the pagan temples, and gaining right treatment for slaves, for women, and for infants. This was all done centuries before the church came to have a ruling clergy and priesthood, and before it built any of its cathedrals.

The church is the Lord's Kingdom, and is not of this world, as Jesus said. And he is the ultimate Shepherd of his people, calling them each by their names, and watching over them, lifting them up, and giving them the power to overcome the world, as he did. The Lord has never needed a large, visible, worldly organization to do his will on earth. His people are his church, and they, as individual members, are the ones who live by faith in Him. (Hebrews 11).

Suzanna, I ask the Lord's blessing on your efforts to follow him. It might be a good thing for you to join with the Catholic church. For myself, I could never swim the Tiber, however. I am placing my trust in the Lord alone, and I know he will provide all I need.

And a last question of you. Why are you quoting that part from St. Gregory of Nyssa, when that quote plainly denies the Godhood and the Lordship of Jesus?
Dear Roger,
God bless you for a thoughtful and laborious response! I appreciate your humility.

For the sake of your fingers, and to save your brain space, I'll only resond to the note you left for me personally. I really appreciate your approach and your respectful tone.
:)
I'm going to start with the last question: The Gregory quote is a description of what was going on in Constantinople I believe when he arrived for a council. In my mind, it perfectly describes the current state of affairs on the internet. Gregory in no way ever denied the Divinity of Jesus as anyone who has studied the Early Church fathers, knows.

Second, I think you have misunderstood me entirely and this may be because I assumed you knew more about church history. When I say "catholic" I mean "universal." Orthodoxy is Christ's Church which He Himself founded. Our first bishop was St. James the Bishop of Jerusalem. I have no intention of debating my Catholic brothers and sisters here in this thread regarding views of history. I suggest that you read the following book which gives a general overview, and an excellent bibliography for further reading: The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware. You may even read it on line for free here:
DUH!!! Corrected link: begin edit:http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG0804.HTM
end edit. SORRY!!!:sorry:

It is by no means the only book on the subject, however, I have found it gives the best overview and the bibliography contained in it is invaluable.

Third, you mentioned the necessity of following Jesus alone. This is indeed very important and Orthodoxy agrees with you. The head of our church is Jesus Christ and no other. We have no infallible bishops, nor do we have any "pope".

Fourth: The Orthodox position on Mary is very clear. She was a virgin, and remained a virgin. The Orthodox position, aside from stating that this is simply the Truth based on what has been handed down to us from the Apostles, is that this Truth protects us against two major heresies:
1. That Jesus was not fully human
2. That Jesus was not fully divine.
I'm sure you're aware of the various Gnostic heresies that threatened the early church from its inception.

In the same paragraph, you voice a concern regarding married clergy. Clergy are indeed allowed to be married in Orthodoxy. I think you are confusing the Orthodox Church with the Roman Church. In Orthodoxy priests may be married. So may deacons. Bishops are unmarried as are monks.

You also mention "transubstantiation" . This is a post-schism doctrine between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church. Orthodoxy does not teach transubstantiation. The Eucharist is a Real Presence and is a mystery we do not define.

Throughout your post above, I respectfully submit that you seem to have confused Orthodox doctrine with Roman Catholicism. They are not the same and I will not debate those issues here. You are more than welcome to pm me with questions but I certainly do respectfully say that from your post above, you know very little about the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church.

I do appreciate your respectful and mannerly tone, but I invite you to investigate further before making any more blanket statements about Orthodoxy in particular.

This forum is open to ALL Christians who affirm the Nicene Creed.Personally I prefer it without the Filioque, of course, but I'm sure that's another topic.
This is not a forum exclusively for Restorationists. Additionally, my comments regarding any perceived need for a "restoration" still stands: A Jesus who cannot found a visible, accessible and historically viable church that is unconquerable, is weak.

In Christ,
Suzannah

Reactions: Eusebios
Upvote 0

rogerborn

Mar 17, 2004
✟149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Michelle

We are indeed related! By the shed blood of the Lord we all were washed in, and whose holy new birth has brought us into his eternal kingdom as adopted children!

Tell me, please, for where I grew up in the Southwest, the catholic church did not allow the full communion to the 'children of the church' - the laity. Nor were their clergy allowed to marry, (as I mentioned in Timothy and Titus) - have these things changed? These are several of the things that keep me on this side of the Tiber.

"You mention a 'church' that began before we even had any written gospel, can you cite me who or what is this Church if you do not believe it is indeed the Catholic Church?"

It was indeed the universal church - just not the church of Rome. The book of Acts, written by Luke the Physician, was written several decades after Penticost. The four Gospels were written even after that. Christians followed the oral traditions of the Apostles from Penticost, and each church verified that they were doing so through the Holy Spirit, who gave them discernment. Therefore, all the churches which were established in each town and city followed the same sound doctrine, even though they did not yet have a written account of the acts and teachings of the Apostles, or of the life and death of the Lord in written Gospels.

Later, as the Epistles and the Gospels were written, these were copied over and over again and distributed to all the churches in every city across the known world. You can imagine the wealth of fragments and manuscripts we have to study, so that we can know that we have today a faithful record of the whole New Testament, intact.

The church which had these letters was still the universal church of Christ, and their faithful keeping of these precious manuscripts, (and the prolific writings of the early church fathers who quoted these letters in detail) allowed the councils to have a complete record of all that the Apostles and other writers recorded.

This was established as our canon by the time of the Nicean council in aroud 325 A.D. It took them a number of years both before and after that to 'ratify' which of all their books were indeed Scripture. Even so, Revelation, and a couple of other books, did not make the list until a few decades later.

Besides this, as you know, there was a whole body of work that was not inspired Scripture, but which was vital to the church as its history and commentary. Although many of us have no access to these, since most of them are in the custody of the Roman church - so I can only go by what others have said about these letters and epistles, as to their authenticity.

I probably have said enough. If not, I can be available this weekend to give an answer for my faith in the Lord. But I also have a lot of questions myself.

God richly bless you and yours with every blessing in Him!

Love,
Roger

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In the same paragraph, you voice a concern regarding married clergy. Clergy are indeed allowed to be married in Orthodoxy. I think you are confusing the Orthodox Church with the Roman Church. In Orthodoxy priests may be married. So may deacons. Bishops are unmarried as are monks.

One little point of clarity for Roger. Priest not marring in the Latin Rite Church is a disciple, a rule not a binding teaching that can never be changed. The Church deems it best that they not marry and this can be changed in the Church because it is not "dogma" so it really is a non issue because the Latin rite Catholic Church does not claim that celibacy was divinely taught. It was suggested by St. Paul and the Latin Church suggests it too.

The Eastern Rite Catholics in union with Rome do have the same rule about married clergy as the EO Church does. They have married clergy and the are 100% Catholic in union, in obedience to the bishop of Rome.

Also transubstantiation. There is nothing in this teaching that contradicts Tradition. The real presence is what the Early Church taught. Catholics explanation of what happens during consecration does not contradict the early belief that Christ becomes the body and blood of Christ. Both Catholics and Orthodox believe Christ is present. Transubstantiation does not change this belief.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Good points shelb...
roger, nothing requires you to give an "answer for your faith in the Lord"...I certainly don't expect you to "defend" anything...I, like shelb were just sharing our faith with you....I don't even view this conversation as a debate...I simply perceive that you are unaware (from your posts anyway) of many things about us....
:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
OOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!! Roger!!!! I gave you the wrong link...that's a link to a gif that I was using on a website I am building..duh!!! I 'm so sorry!
LOLOLOL
Here's the proper link to the Orthodox Church by Timoth Ware:
http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG0804.HTM

I am so stupid, not to mention sinful... :D

Upvote 0

rogerborn

Mar 17, 2004
✟149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Suzannah

Bless you for welcoming me! I thought I may have erred coming here. My background is out of the denominations I have spoken of, and there was much I had to unlearn, as you can imagine.

Are you speaking of the Eastern Orthodox church here?

My training in orthodoxy came when I was obtaining my MA in congregational leadership and early church history. Dr. Samuel Schiebler, the West Coast Bishop of the Anglican church, was my professor.

I also have spent two years on a forum with Anglican and Catholic clergy, (TTMBO), which is moderated by Charles Moore of Applelinks.com. I have learned much, but I am not so sure now if they are representative of Catholics and Anglicans everywhere.

Your post suprised me. - a rare thing nowadays. I do not believe I have met anyone of your church, if indeed it is the Orthodox church I am thinking of.

As you can see, my use of the word 'orthodox' (not capitalized) is a bit different that your way of using it.

Respectfully, I would like to learn more.

Love,
Roger

Reactions: Suzannah
Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
rogerborn said:
Suzannah

Bless you for welcoming me! I thought I may have erred coming here. My background is out of the denominations I have spoken of, and there was much I had to unlearn, as you can imagine.

Are you speaking of the Eastern Orthodox church here?

My training in orthodoxy came when I was obtaining my MA in congregational leadership and early church history. Dr. Samuel Schiebler, the West Coast Bishop of the Anglican church, was my professor.

I also have spent two years on a forum with Anglican and Catholic clergy, (TTMBO), which is moderated by Charles Moore of Applelinks.com. I have learned much, but I am not so sure now if they are representative of Catholics and Anglicans everywhere.

Your post suprised me. - a rare thing nowadays. I do not believe I have met anyone of your church, if indeed it is the Orthodox church I am thinking of.

As you can see, my use of the word 'orthodox' (not capitalized) is a bit different that your way of using it.

Respectfully, I would like to learn more.

Love,
Roger

Dear Roger,
God bless you for coming here...please let me add something, before we go further: If you affirm the Nicene Creed (either version) then I am indeed your sister in Christ.... :)
I misunderstood then regarding your use of the word "orthodoxy". I am indeed Serbian Orthodox. Eastern Orthodox. :)
And you are studying with a group that has some claim to Apostolic Succession. :)
I am very happy to meet you Roger!!! Please forgive my stupidity in posting the wrong link!!! :) Very silly of me...
Love in Christ,
Suzannah
I 'm very EXCITED TO MEET YOU!!! I love Anglican Church...I was "Church of Ireland for a long time before I became a "Baptist"....
My search for Jesus is like hide and seek...that's what keeps it interesting! :)

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
rogerborn said:
Michelle

We are indeed related! By the shed blood of the Lord we all were washed in, and whose holy new birth has brought us into his eternal kingdom as adopted children!

Amen.

Tell me, please, for where I grew up in the Southwest, the catholic church did not allow the full communion to the 'children of the church' - the laity.

What do you mean, I am afraid I do not know what you are referring to?

Nor were their clergy allowed to marry, (as I mentioned in Timothy and Titus) - have these things changed? These are several of the things that keep me on this side of the Tiber.

Latin Rite Catholic priests are not allowed to marry but this is not a dogma, it is a rule and rules or disciplines can be changed by a pope.

The Eastern Rite Catholics that are fully in union with Rome do allow priest to marry so if you really wanted to be a married Catholic priest you can always look into that.

It was indeed the universal church - just not the church of Rome.

You see this is where the gap comes in. The Catholic Church is not the "Church of Rome" in the way that you think. It is referred to the Church of Rome merely because this is where the pope settled. The Catholic Church began at Pentecost as one Church, universal as you realize and this Church went out and established diocese both in the east and west. We have eastern patriarchs and a western patriarch. The Catholic Church did not have it's beginning in Rome, but in the upper room. Can you please cite me the reason why you believe the Catholic Church began in Rome and not in the upper room? And where did the EO come from because they aren’t “Roman”

ened up after The book of Acts, written by Luke the Physician, was written several decades after Penticost. The four Gospels were written even after that. Christians followed the oral traditions of the Apostles from Penticost, and each church verified that they were doing so through the Holy Spirit, who gave them discernment. Therefore, all the churches which were established in each town and city followed the same sound doctrine, even though they did not yet have a written account of the acts and teachings of the Apostles, or of the life and death of the Lord in written Gospels.

Yeah and that would be the Catholic Church at the time the Catholic Church and the EO Church were one, so those Churches that were establoshed were/still is even though we are split from one another ow, is the same Church that you say went around teaching the oral word.

What I am looking for is if we, are not this very Church then who is and where did we come from?

Later, as the Epistles and the Gospels were written, these were copied over and over again and distributed to all the churches in every city across the known world. You can imagine the wealth of fragments and manuscripts we have to study, so that we can know that we have today a faithful record of the whole New Testament, intact.

Amen and guess who would hand write the written word of God? The monks, yes that is right the Catholic monks in the east and the west would hand write copies of the scriptures.

The church which had these letters was still the universal church of Christ, and their faithful keeping of these precious manuscripts, (and the prolific writings of the early church fathers who quoted these letters in detail) allowed the councils to have a complete record of all that the Apostles and other writers recorded.

Yes- and that would be us. This is my point, it was us.

This was established as our canon by the time of the Nicean council in aroud 325 A.D. It took them a number of years both before and after that to 'ratify' which of all their books were indeed Scripture. Even so, Revelation, and a couple of other books, did not make the list until a few decades later.

Yes, again, those guys were us.

Besides this, as you know, there was a whole body of work that was not inspired Scripture, but which was vital to the church as its history and commentary. Although many of us have no access to these, since most of them are in the custody of the Roman church - so I can only go by what others have said about these letters and epistles, as to their authenticity.

You do have access. I am sure you have read the ECF. and if they are in custody of the Catholic Church, then why do you think that is? Because those guys were us.

I probably have said enough. If not, I can be available this weekend to give an answer for my faith in the Lord. But I also have a lot of questions myself.

I do not dispute your faith in the Lord, I’m not asking for that account, I am asking that if the Catholic Church and even the EO Church is not that very Church you describe, then just where is that Church and Just what happened to it?

God richly bless you and yours with every blessing in Him!

You too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
rogerborn said:
Thank you so much for this time together.

May I ask for a bit of time to rest and consider your questions?

Tomorrow I will attend, if that is alright with you.

Love,
Roger

Of course! As I said, I don 't see this discussion as a debate...only as sharing....:)
Love in Christ,
suzannah

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟86,484.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
thereselittleflower said:
Roger, then why did you write this:

Martin Luther was a great pioneer and fearless Reformer
I disagree with that representation of Luther . .it holds him up on a pedastle from which he fell in my mind almost 4 years ago.

By perptuating this myth, you also perpetuate myths against the Church he supposedly he tired to "reform" . . . and these myths are not based in historical truth.

Peace in Him!

What myths are those?

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟86,484.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shelb5 said:
But where did these teachings come from? They did not come from man but from God. Tradition is God’s word. Christ taught the apostles and the apostles handed us down this faith.

We can even prove this. Faith alone was never taught until Luther taught it. You can trace faith alone to a man.

The scripture are the written down part of this word. We can trace these beliefs straight to those who learned them from Christ. Can you see now why we are not man made? These beliefs come from God’s word to taught by Christ to the apostles.

Actually Jesus and Paul taught salvation by faith alone . Last I looked that was the word of God .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.