Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
Smoky said:
What books do you think best tell the story of the Christian Church?
hmm... Considering how complex it is, you're unlikely to find any one book that deals with the whole scope of Christian history well. That being said, one of my favorite authors who has written a fairly good series on books on the subject is Jaroslav Pelikan (he has been both Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox in his life). There a few authors who I'd also suggest besides him: Alister McGrath, Heiko Oberman, John Meyendorff, Louis Bouyer, Yves Congar, Georges Tavard, RPC Hanson and a number of others I can't think of at the moment...

ken

Upvote 0

zoomie71

Shellback
Apr 6, 2004
✟177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
One of the better overview books I've seen is "Church History in Plain Language." It's written by Dr. Bruce Shelley of Denver Theological Seminary. It was originally written in 1982, and updated in 1995. Issued in paperback by Word Publishing. I've seen it in some Christian book discount houses for as little as $8.

It's about 500 pages, so not a one-sitting book unless you're really ambitious. But it does give a good "high-point" progression through chruch hisory from the Apostolic age to the present, including the major divisions of protestantism and where they came from. One of the nice aspects of the book is that it doesn't keep church history completely isolated from other events, but rather weaves the church into an overall historic perspective.

Trust this will help.

Regards,

Zoomie :cool:

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The one that my priest recommended to me (and a friend who was with me at the time) is "The Early Church" by Henry Chadwick. He wrote a several volume history of Christianity. This is the 1st volume and it covers from the beginning up until the Great Schism in 1054. It is quite good and quite readable.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
A superb book for any British here is 'A History of the Church in England' by Moorman. Not sure if it's still available but you can pick up a copy quite easily in a second hand bookshop- that's where i got mine from and it's signed!

Upvote 0

Motor City Christian

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
zoomie71 said:
One of the better overview books I've seen is "Church History in Plain Language." It's written by Dr. Bruce Shelley of Denver Theological Seminary. It was originally written in 1982, and updated in 1995. Issued in paperback by Word Publishing. I've seen it in some Christian book discount houses for as little as $8.

It's about 500 pages, so not a one-sitting book unless you're really ambitious. But it does give a good "high-point" progression through chruch hisory from the Apostolic age to the present, including the major divisions of protestantism and where they came from. One of the nice aspects of the book is that it doesn't keep church history completely isolated from other events, but rather weaves the church into an overall historic perspective.

Trust this will help.

Regards,

Zoomie :cool:
This is a very good one. I also recommend the Justin Gonzales series, "Story of Christianity". It is a little more confusing than Shelley, but it is more detailed.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Chadwick has stood the test of time. It was a text in my undergrad church history class 30 years ago, and still used by some faculty in the major seminary where I study now.

I also agree with the Pelikan recommendation. An author who understands more than one perspective on history, doctrine, or any subject is less likely to have blind spots.

Finally, for a book that emphasizes both Chiristian spirituality and the aspect of continuity, rather than discontinuity (most Western histories emphasize "turning points" - individuals and event that changed something, rather than continuous aspects) I also recommend Richard Foster's Streams of Living Water. A very different, but extremely helpful perspective on Christian (more than church) history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mythbuster

Apr 14, 2004
✟746.00
Faith
Christian

The Reformation in England (Volumes 1 & 2)
D'Aubigne & J.H. Merle
px_trans.gif

Dr Merle d'Aubigne (1794-1872) devoted a lifetime to the study of the Reformation. His ability to popularise serious history -with true spiritual insight - remains unsurpassed.
Also on the book shelf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mythbuster

Apr 14, 2004
✟746.00
Faith
Christian
Lotar said:
I hate Church history books. Every single one I've ever read tries to twist history to suit their particular position.
L,
I have found that by reading many different authors, a picture is formed. We have a rich Christian heritage. What we know today about the Lord and the Bible, we owe in part to the many saints who have gone before us. Even something as simple as being baptized, we may be very clear about today, but it was not so clear during the reformation.
At the very least you should know about whatever Christian group you fellowship with.

peace
M.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
mythbuster said:
L,
I have found that by reading many different authors, a picture is formed. We have a rich Christian heritage. What we know today about the Lord and the Bible, we owe in part to the many saints who have gone before us. Even something as simple as being baptized, we may be very clear about today, but it was not so clear during the reformation.
At the very least you should know about whatever Christian group you fellowship with.

peace
M.
Perhaps, but I find that usually, though not always, the best sources are secular ones. Still, I prefer to read the actual works of the saints than books about them, or selected anthologies.

You read Church history by three different authors and you will get four different opinions. I find Church history very interesting, but I hate all Church history books. I'd rather read the books and letters of the Apostolic fathers, rather than read about them, same with Ambrose, Augustine, Luther, Melanchthon, Chemnitz, etc. It's amazing what it always "forgotten" and brushed over.

Upvote 0

Motor City Christian

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Kripost said:
Speaking of which, are there any books that have the history of the Coptic Church and the Ethiopian Church? Most books I know exclude them.
Gonzales' two sets of "The Story of Christianity" includes it I believe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.