Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Calvary Chapel has been criticized for its management structure and issues of accountability. How do you remain faithful members in spite of this?

I don’t mean to sound confrontational, as I think I agree with most of what the CC believes, I just have issues with their governing structure.

I probably shouldn’t be the one to talk as my denomination has the Paige Patterson controversy, but I just want to know how, in case I ever decide to join.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
criticized for its management structure and issues of accountability. How do you remain faithful members in spite of this?

We all need to be aware of issues in our church. The church leaders need to be open with the members about the church finances, and willing to listen and respond to questions about their conduct.

If your church does not announce that a multi million mansion extention is being made, or that the church buys a top the range car for the minister and it is never announced. Leave.

All major purchases should be cleared by the church i.e. new car bought by the church.

Behaviour of the minister and of all employees both paid and voluntary, should be governed by a code of conduct, which should explain how infringements will be investigated and dealt with. ie who will conduct the investigation, and when outside authorities will be involved either police, medical, or other supervisory church officals.

If an elder will not listen to an acusation of misbehaviour by another elders son, leave that church.

I would suggest asking how finacial irgularities and misconduct by staff or their rlertives will be investigated. The answers dhould tell you alot.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟89,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought about starting a new thread to pose my questions, but based on the number and content of responses to this one, I doubt I'd get the answers I wanted, which is about bylaws, constitution, deacon authority, pastor authority, whatever they want to put in a governing document. Mainly, does ANYTHING exist in writing? Are there deacons? Elders? Listed anywhere? Who hires and fires? Can anyone start a church and call it "Calvary Chapel?" Are pastors of new locations always going to come from the staffs of other churches when they're willing to re-locate? Is 'governance' the same in all of them? Is there a central authority like the SBC that can discipline a member church for violating rules?

I just know of one church that was embroiled in controversy due to the fact that the board, who decided everything, was not entirely made up of attendees of that local church, but instead, lived out-of-state. It reminded me of a non-profit that consists of the founders and separate board members...the board members being friends of the founders, who will always be willing to vote a pay raise for the founders as long as the organization is bringing in more money. In other words, the locals can't fire you if only your non-local friends have a say in who gets hired and fired, at least at the head pastor level.

The lack of accountability limits how much money I donate. I figure I can at least try to guesstimate and cover what I figure is my share of utilities as long as I'm showing up and benefitting from the cost of electricity. (How do you guesstimate total square footage, divided by the number of people showing up to figure my share? You can't.) Someone has to pay those bills whether staff is volunteer or not, and whether or not salaries are arbitrarily set by the pastor or voted on by deacons or elders.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
issues of accountability
went to a CC for years and the pastor was fine
The lack of accountability limits how much money I donate.

How many in control of an assembly make sure the poor are taken care of ?

For example, how many train and teach everyone including those who make two thousand a month or twenty thousand a month to
make sure that
those especially if with a family making less than eight hundred a month , i.e. poor and hungry and homeless in the assembly first, then in their neighborhood, have what they need WITH JOY AND PEACE and RIGHTEOUSNESS without shame or reproach or guilt induced feelings...

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How many in control of an assembly make sure the poor are taken care of ?

For example, how many train and teach everyone including those who make two thousand a month or twenty thousand a month to
make sure that
those especially if with a family making less than eight hundred a month , i.e. poor and hungry and homeless in the assembly first, then in their neighborhood, have what they need WITH JOY AND PEACE and RIGHTEOUSNESS without shame or reproach or guilt induced feelings...
They're not trying to be prideful in saying they only donate a limited amount of funds because there is a lack of accountability they are saying that because there is a lack of accountability they want to make sure that the Pastor and the staff of the church are using the money that congregants donate is actually used responsibly. Pastors in the CC and many non denominational churches have a history of embezzling money.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
They're not trying to be prideful in saying they only donate a limited amount of funds because there is a lack of accountability they are saying that because there is a lack of accountability they want to make sure that the Pastor and the staff of the church are using the money that congregants donate is actually used responsibly. Pastors in the CC and many non denominational churches have a history of embezzling money.
ummm...... the "history" of that is much much much more widespread and almost 2000 years old .....

Upvote 0