• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Chronic pain changes us

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Who are we really when we live with chronic pain? I often wonder what we would really be like if we had no pain. I do believe we aren't what we are supposed to be. Does God take that into account when our actions aren't what they would be if we were pain free?
What would we have been in the end if our lives were free of it.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟681,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is very difficult to be your "best" when you are in pain. Especially chronic pain that wears on you. I'm sure God is aware of all our circumstances and allows for them.

BTW I once heard that most bear attacks, it was found later that the bear had some sort of injury that was causing chronic pain. i.e. Abscess tooth, broken bone, etc.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I changed a lot. The biggest gain was delayed gratification and belief. I can wait a long time without complaint. I learned the value of time and how to count the moments and make the most of them.

Mindset was really important. Pain creates apathy and dejection. ‘I’m not my illness’ was a powerful shift. I may suffer with an ailment or struggle with a malady. But I’m more than that.

When I stopped seeing myself through that perspective I discovered ways to give, share, and bless others. I wasn’t useless because my body failed. I could make a difference.

In God is a Matchmaker Ruth Prince shares a similar sentiment. A back injury limited her mobility and she was homebound for a time. She served the Lord through prayer and labored for the church during this period.

There’s numerous ways to use your gifts and talents from home to aid ministries or start your own. Physical pain can’t hinder the works we’re meant to perform. Recognizing our usefulness can be difficult when we’re hurting. But we’re needed like the rest. We forget that sometimes.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟219,673.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who are we really when we live with chronic pain? I often wonder what we would really be like if we had no pain. I do believe we aren't what we are supposed to be. Does God take that into account when our actions aren't what they would be if we were pain free?

Paul's advice to us on how to handle suffering in Romans 8:18-25 would really come alive under chronic pain.

Upvote 0

alongtheway

Grace that is greater than all our sin
Mar 7, 2021
Victoria
✟1,223.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

Chronic pain has changed me for the better. It has taken me to places (good and bad) most people my age can't comprehend. It has taught me a lot about myself and life. Does that mean I don't want to be healed? Of course not. I welcome it, but at the same time as a result of my pain and suffering, healing has come to me in other ways.

Some of the greatest gifts that can come out of ones suffering is, compassion, grace, hope, contentment and faith in the divine.

My answer to your question ''Does God take that into account when our actions aren't what they would be if we were pain free?''
I hope so.

blessings,
alongtheway

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have found the expression, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" to be true in many cases, especially when referring to mentality. However, most people are not strengthened for the better.
Sadly, rather than giving thanks to the Creator, they choose the path of humanism and glorify the creature instead.
It is the saving work of the Spirit when someone responds to affliction like Paul, the Apostle, when he testified that he could endure all things through Christ, and that he gladly boasts of his own weakness so that Christ would be exalted. This is the blessed effect of that formula for spiritual growth found in places like Romans 5:3-5,
we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Thanks be to God, I have seen these blessed effects in my wife who suffers daily with varying degrees of physical pain.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I believe God absolutely would take pain into account, both physical and mental.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I had 15 years of excruciating pain from tri-geminal neuralgia the suicide illness and then 15 years of mild pain from a different ailment and now back to 15 years of excruciating pain again with a totally different ailment then the first two it also has ruined my physical health. I never thanked God for it. A few posts here on this forum gave a different side to it. What do I have to lose?
Thanks everyone.
I hope God blesses you with hope and tolerance for your pain maybe even a healing?
God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is very difficult to be your "best" when you are in pain. Especially chronic pain that wears on you. I'm sure God is aware of all our circumstances and allows for them.

BTW I once heard that most bear attacks, it was found later that the bear had some sort of injury that was causing chronic pain. i.e. Abscess tooth, broken bone, etc.
Don't assume that, if you run into a bear, RUN!:)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟681,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had 15 years of excruciating pain from trigeminal neuralgia the suicide illness and then 15 years of mild pain and now back to 15 years of excruciating pain again it also has ruined my physical health. I never thanked God for it. A few posts here on this forum gave a different side to it. What do I have to lose?
Thanks everyone.
I hope God blesses you with hope and tolerance for your pain maybe even a healing?
God Bless

Just as a side note: I have also had trigeminal neuralgia, YIKES! I was able to keep in under control with
Carbamazepine. (No pain medicine can touch it.) The drug made me loopy, but worked. If you haven't tried it, maybe talk with you doctor about it. Praying for you.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I had 15 years of excruciating pain from trigeminal neuralgia the suicide illness and then 15 years of mild pain and now back to 15 years of excruciating pain again it also has ruined my physical health. I never thanked God for it. A few posts here on this forum gave a different side to it. What do I have to lose?
Thanks everyone.
God Bless
Brother, I'm am sorry to hear about your affliction. The Lord knows our infirmities. In fact, He sends them. Every ounce of our suffering is custom tailored to each one of His dearly beloved children.
About 25 years ago, my wife was severely burned. She recalls being in those immediate throes of pain and repeating to herself, "this is for my good, this is for my good."
She was recalling to her mind those portions of God's Word which teach us that God uses trials for our sanctification.
One such portion that has always stuck with me describes God is a refiner and purifier.
Malachi 3:2-4
who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.
Compare this to 1 Peter 1:6-7
In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which perishes though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ
God doesn't waste one ounce of our suffering. He afflicts us because He loves us and wants to ensure we make it to Heaven!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just as a side note: I have also had trigeminal neuralgia, YIKES! I was able to keep in under control with
Carbamazepine. (No pain medicine can touch it.) The drug made me loopy, but worked. If you haven't tried it, maybe talk with you doctor about it. Praying for you.
They operated on it and haven't had any more pain from tri g since 1993. Why haven't they operated on you? I would not regret one minute that operation. They go into the brain and damage the nerve and then wrap it in teflon and the pain can go no where after that. The nerve still gives me twinges not pain if I eat anything tart. Its well worth it if you are suffering that pain. I was blessed to have insurance but it shouldn't have taken 15 years of that pain before it was done and that was due to a bad insurance company, CIGNA.
As soon as I changed insurance companies it was done. I often wonder the cost of that. Probably 25k or so. Please check it out! You shouldn't have to suffer if it can be helped. No med works on it.
Thanks for your input!
I am praying for you and am so sorry that you haven't gotten it fixed:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They operated on it and haven't had any more pain from tri g since 1993. Why haven't they operated on you? I would not regret one minute that operation. They go into the brain and damage the nerve and then wrap it in teflon and the pain can go no where after that. The nerve still gives me twinges not pain if I eat anything tart. Its well worth it if you are suffering that pain. I was blessed to have insurance but it shouldn't have taken 15 years of that pain before it was done and that was due to a bad insurance company, CIGNA.
As soon as I changed insurance companies it was done. I often wonder the cost of that. Probably 25k or so. Please check it out! You shouldn't have to suffer if it can be helped. No med works on it.
Thanks for your input!
I am praying for you and am so sorry that you haven't gotten it fixed:(
BTW, My dentist diagnosed it. Not any of the crappy docs I had went to did. No pain killer was given me just a suggestion that I take Vitamin B complex. What a crock. If you decide to pursue that, please Pm me as there is additional info I can give you for you to consider.
I hope you consider this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I often wonder what we would really be like if we had no pain.

remember my life before when I had energy & no pain
was able to work 2 jobs, hike, roller skate, do any exercise for that matter

I miss my "before" self....A LOT

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
remember my life before when I had energy & no pain
was able to work 2 jobs, hike, roller skate, do any exercise for that matter, and enjoy life
I can look back at pics of my smiling face

now it's hard to smile & force myself to smile for my family
I miss my "before" self....A LOT

try to hide pain so as not to worry husband/child
could barely stand to make dinner other day...did it but then had to lay down to rest

used to say to husband "I'm the most optimistic person I know" ...not anymore
Is there nothing they can do? You still are if you can pull that off and your family are not aware how much you are suffering.. I am fortunate that it is just me so I have to cover it for no one but I am really cranky most of the time to anyone else. You seem very strong. I have stopped trying these days.
Is there anyway I can help?

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BTW, My dentist diagnosed it. Not any of the crappy docs I had went to did. No pain killer was given me just a suggestion that I take Vitamin B complex. What a crock. If you decide to pursue that, please Pm me as there is additional info I can give you for you to consider.
I hope you consider this.
I just remembered for some of those 15 they put me on tegretal, sp, it was a seizure med. It was pretty useless

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟359,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You posted on another thread what you have but I have forgot. what is it if you don't mind my asking?
I figured they knew and you were sparing them. I have a friend that I have dumped on and realized that the more I told her of my woes the more trials God threw at me so I stopped complaining to her and for a long time after that God stopped the trials, lol. But I am at it again so I am going to stop again hopefully forever. Its not fair to her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0