Christy4Christ

Pro-Christ
Jan 30, 2004
Hollywood, FL
✟5,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi :wave:

This thread is not for debating the divinity or existance of Jesus but rather it is for those of us who are Christians to share our experiences with Jesus in our lives. These testimonies can include evil experiences that have been over come by Jesus or answered prayers, miracles. Anything having to do with a work you attribute to Jesus Himself.

I ask for the sake of peace that our non-Christian members limit their posts to questions only. I really don't want this to be a debate thread, there are already enough of those. :)

I will open with a prayer..

Father,

We ask that you send The Holy Spirit to guide us in truth, we ask that you place a message on our hearts that we can share with others. Protect us from evil and protect us from the spirit of debate. Give us the grace we need to show love and compassion to many who will not understand us. We pray for peace..

In Jesus' name we pray :prayer:

Amen

May the spirit of love be with you all... :hug: :kiss:

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Christy,

I would PM a mod and ask them to move this post. Personal testimonies of this nature tend to get put under a microscope and dissected. But obviously it's up to you. Many Christians cherish their salvations stories and it can be upsetting to have it get picked apart.

Cheers

Grizzly

Upvote 0

II Paradox II

Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
Christy4Christ said:
This thread is not for debating the divinity or existance of Jesus but rather it is for those of us who are Christians to share our experiences with Jesus in our lives.
hmm... well, I can share how I became a Christian.

I was born into an agnostic family, my father is a professor of engineering and my mother was a linguist who chose to be a housewife to raise her children (something, btw, that I am very thankful for. Being a latchkey kid would not have good for me). Of the two of them, my mom was quite hostile to Christianity while my dad was for the most part indifferent. They raised my sister and I in a generally secular environment but not outspokenly anti-religious. Despite my mom's own personal revulsion to religion, she was not adverse to it's positive ethical effect in society, as such she did not prohibit my own religious questioning and occasional trips to church with friends...

Anyways, things were pretty smooth till we left UC Davis (my dad finished his PhD and was heading off to his professorship) and I moved to a new town in my early teens. When we moved I never really fit into the new school. My grades dropped very quickly and I found myself struggling to even graduate (I finally managed to get out with a 2.1 grade average when a few teachers gave me mercy grades to make sure I didn't flunk out). During this time I struggled a lot with life and fitting in. I wasn't one to openly flaunt authority, so I never rebelled in the violent and often anti-social ways of many others. I didn't like drinking or drugs because I abhored the effect they had on my mind (It just seemed stupid to me to spend money on things that would reduce my own efficiency and abilities. If someone else wanted to jack their life they were welcome to do it... I figured my chances of success were multiplied everytime someone else drank or took drugs as their own capacity to compete with me was lowered significantly). Essentially, I just became a very quiet, angry little kid who was flunking out of school.

Throughout HS I had been going to church occasionally with a friend of mine. It did help a little, though I didn't really fit in there much better than I did in school. Most of the church kids were from christian families and didn't know how to relate (I was painfully shy as well, so that didn't really help) so while I participated I wasn't really "in", so to speak (I wasn't really very cool, so that didn't help either. The church group was fairly insular so they didn't always open up to people new to the congregation, especially ones who were kind of eccentric and quiet). As a funny aside, the main group I did hang out with was the chess club. It was nine jewish guys and me. The club never played chess, it was primarily about arguing religion and politics (about half the group were atheists, the other half were religious jews and messianic jews). As for me, I only played checkers. I could never remember the rules to chess so the game tended to bore me after a while.

Near the end of my illustrious high school career I became a Christian. I can't remember the day, or even where I was. What was happeneing was that I had been reading some works by francis schaeffer and just piddling through a few biblical passages. At one point I read where Christ forgave his enemies and it affected me deeply. I realized that I had to do the same and put my faith in God. So I did, and over the next couple of days and weeks I forgave the people around me and slowly lost the sense of anger I had.

One other thing happened as well. At least for me, growing up was not easy intellectually. I had always struggled to see how the various secular theories I had learned could explain what I saw around me. Essentially, the more I grew, the more dissonance existed in my thinking. To me, this was very disturbing and only served to increase my own anxiety about life. One of the things I had been doing prior to becoming christian was reading the works of francis schaeffer. Though I can see the limits of his work now, I still found it to be an interesting attempt to reconcile the disparate strands of expeience under a Christian philosophical system. When I became a Christian, I began to see some of the intellectual dissonance I had slowly recede as I began to be able to reconcile things my previous state of mind had not been able to handle well. This continued to develop over time as I proceeded to apply this in the university myself until I eventually dropped out of college, worked for a few years, then went into business for myself (software, right now developing business efficiency stuff, but working slowly on computer-aided reasoning and research software... perhaps if you're lucky, you'll be buying some of it in 5 or 10 years =).

Anyways, I've been a Christian for 10 or so years now. It's been a great thing and I've seen God work in my life countless times. I don't have an answer to every problem, but I've seen God work on my mind and heart such that I have confidence in His truth and revelation. To be honest, I don't often deal with these sorts of skeptical inquiries anymore. I used to quite a bit a few years ago, but recently I've started to delve into church history and philosophy of language. That's about it...

ken

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christy4Christ

Pro-Christ
Jan 30, 2004
Hollywood, FL
✟5,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't mind if anyone picks it apart. To me it is real and I don't expect anyone to believe it. I just hope that people will at least be tactful in that there is no reason to be outright mean and I see alot of that around here..

I hope to see a good example of the morals that many people here have been claiming can be had without God. :)

If the mods move it that is OK for now I will leave it up to them..

Upvote 0

Christy4Christ

Pro-Christ
Jan 30, 2004
Hollywood, FL
✟5,762.00
Faith
Catholic
II Paradox II said:
hmm... well, I can share how I became a Christian.

I was born into an agnostic family, my father is a professor of engineering and my mother was a linguist who chose to be a housewife to raise her children (something, btw, that I am very thankful for. Being a latchkey kid would not have good for me). Of the two of them, my mom was quite hostile to Christianity while my dad was for the most part indifferent. They raised my sister and I in a generally secular environment but not outspokenly anti-religious. Despite my mom's own personal revulsion to religion, she was not adverse to it's positive ethical effect in society, as such she did not prohibit my own religious questioning and occasional trips to church with friends...

Anyways, things were pretty smooth till we left UC Davis (my dad finished his PhD and was heading off to his professorship) and I moved to a new town in my early teens. When we moved I never really fit into the new school. My grades dropped very quickly and I found myself struggling to even graduate (I finally managed to get out with a 2.1 grade average when a few teachers gave me mercy grades to make sure I didn't flunk out). During this time I struggled a lot with life and fitting in. I wasn't one to openly flaunt authority, so I never rebelled in the violent and often anti-social ways of many others. I didn't like drinking or drugs because I abhored the effect they had on my mind (It just seemed stupid to me to spend money on things that would reduce my own efficiency and abilities. If someone else wanted to jack their life they were welcome to do it... I figured my chances of success were multiplied everytime someone else drank or took drugs as their own capacity to compete with me was lowered significantly). Essentially, I just became a very quiet, angry little kid who was flunking out of school.

Throughout HS I had been going to church occasionally with a friend of mine. It did help a little, though I didn't really fit in there much better than I did in school. Most of the church kids were from christian families and didn't know how to relate (I was painfully shy as well, so that didn't really help) so while I participated I wasn't really "in", so to speak (I wasn't really very cool, so that didn't help either. The church group was fairly insular so they didn't always open up to people new to the congregation, especially ones who were kind of eccentric and quiet). As a funny aside, the main group I did hang out with was the chess club. It was nine jewish guys and me. The club never played chess, it was primarily about arguing religion and politics (about half the group were atheists, the other half were religious jews and messianic jews). As for me, I only played checkers. I could never remember the rules to chess so the game tended to bore me after a while.

Near the end of my illustrious high school career I became a Christian. I can't remember the day, or even where I was. What was happeneing was that I had been reading some works by francis schaeffer and just piddling through a few biblical passages. At one point I read where Christ forgave his enemies and it affected me deeply. I realized that I had to do the same and put my faith in God. So I did, and over the next couple of days and weeks I forgave the people around me and slowly lost the sense of anger I had.

One other thing happened as well. At least for me, growing up was not easy intellectually. I had always struggled to see how the various secular theories I had learned could explain what I saw around me. Essentially, the more I grew, the more dissonance existed in my thinking. To me, this was very disturbing and only served to increase my own anxiety about life. One of the things I had been doing prior to becoming christian was reading the works of francis schaeffer. Though I can see the limits of his work now, I still found it to be an interesting attempt to reconcile the disparate strands of expeience under a Christian philosophical system. When I became a Christian, I began to see some of the intellectual dissonance I had slowly recede as I began to be able to reconcile things my previous state of mind had not been able to handle well. This continued to develop over time as I proceeded to apply this in the university myself until I eventually dropped out of college, worked for a few years, then went into business for myself (software, right now developing business efficiency stuff, but working slowly on computer-aided reasoning and research software... perhaps if you're lucky, you'll be buying some of it in 5 or 10 years =).

Anyways, I've been a Christian for 10 or so years now. It's been a great thing and I've seen God work in my life countless times. I don't have an answer to every problem, but I've seen God work on my mind and heart such that I have confidence in His truth and revelation. To be honest, I don't often deal with these sorts of skeptical inquiries anymore. I used to quite a bit a few years ago, but recently I've started to delve into church history and philosophy of language. That's about it...

ken

Thank for sharing that testimony, I appreciate it so much. :)

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone can, or should "pick apart" a personal testimony. Jesus has different ways of calling people as well.

I'll keep mine simple: My parents were Presbyterian, sort of. They also attended Congregational & Baptist churches at times. But I was never taught I had to have a personal relationship with Jesus, or that I needed to be born again. To me, Jesus was a baby in a manger at Christmas time. Santa Claus was the "deity" that my family seemed to "exalt."
My parents divorced when I was pretty young and church stopped then. I was told I was protestant and there were some big family issues when one of my cousins married a Catholic. So I didn't get too much teaching at all on what it really means to be a Christian, except prejudice, including prejudice against blacks.
As a teenager I got into drinking and drugs as many do. I spent a few years in an atheistic private school. In my later teens I became interested in the occult, mainly through the words of certain rock musicians. It was subtle at first, then me and a few friends got pretty deeply involved. I was also an amatuer songwriter, and I wrote some heavily demonic heavy metal materiel. (I shared that part of my testemony on the testimonies forum already)
In my early 20's I'd been searching for power and control through a variety of occult beliefs and practices, as well as psychadelic drugs. I began to have suicidal thoughts at one point.
But for a couple of years, maybe 3, God had been sending witnesses my way. I hated hearing their talk about Jesus. Then in 1985 I asked a question into the air (literally) if there was any other way besides the way I'd been going (or death) and if anyone was out there, please show me. A silent voice (like the "still small voice" that spoke to Elijah) said, "There is another way. I am Jesus, you can turn to me."
I immediately confessed my sins and asked Jesus to save me.
I woke up the next morning and felt I'd changed. I tore down my occult postors, got rid of my satanic books, jewelry & paraphanalia. Within 3 weeks I gave up liqour, drugs and cigarettes. It wasn't until 6 weeks later I started attending church. this is how I KNOW that it was God, and God alone that made the changes, and i experienced 2 Corinthians 5:17 ~ I became a new creature, old things were passed away and all things became new. That was 19 years ago.

Upvote 0

Christy4Christ

Pro-Christ
Jan 30, 2004
Hollywood, FL
✟5,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Starcrystal said:
I don't think anyone can, or should "pick apart" a personal testimony. Jesus has different ways of calling people as well.

I'll keep mine simple: My parents were Presbyterian, sort of. They also attended Congregational & Baptist churches at times. But I was never taught I had to have a personal relationship with Jesus, or that I needed to be born again. To me, Jesus was a baby in a manger at Christmas time. Santa Claus was the "deity" that my family seemed to "exalt."
My parents divorced when I was pretty young and church stopped then. I was told I was protestant and there were some big family issues when one of my cousins married a Catholic. So I didn't get too much teaching at all on what it really means to be a Christian, except prejudice, including prejudice against blacks.
As a teenager I got into drinking and drugs as many do. I spent a few years in an atheistic private school. In my later teens I became interested in the occult, mainly through the words of certain rock musicians. It was subtle at first, then me and a few friends got pretty deeply involved. I was also an amatuer songwriter, and I wrote some heavily demonic heavy metal materiel. (I shared that part of my testemony on the testimonies forum already)
In my early 20's I'd been searching for power and control through a variety of occult beliefs and practices, as well as psychadelic drugs. I began to have suicidal thoughts at one point.
But for a couple of years, maybe 3, God had been sending witnesses my way. I hated hearing their talk about Jesus. Then in 1985 I asked a question into the air (literally) if there was any other way besides the way I'd been going (or death) and if anyone was out there, please show me. A silent voice (like the "still small voice" that spoke to Elijah) said, "There is another way. I am Jesus, you can turn to me."
I immediately confessed my sins and asked Jesus to save me.
I woke up the next morning and felt I'd changed. I tore down my occult postors, got rid of my satanic books, jewelry & paraphanalia. Within 3 weeks I gave up liqour, drugs and cigarettes. It wasn't until 6 weeks later I started attending church. this is how I KNOW that it was God, and God alone that made the changes, and i experienced 2 Corinthians 5:17 ~ I became a new creature, old things were passed away and all things became new. That was 19 years ago.

Thats a great story! Beautiful...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
My story is so very personal... I would really love to share as soon as I get it all put down in words... For so long.. I thought that my story was just simple.. and didnt seem like it could be like everyone elses.. As if... how he spoke to me wasnt.. important enough...

Now I am willing to shre it I just want it in the best words as possible..it is very very long..

If you love... love stories.. then you will definitly love this one.. it may even bring tears to your eyes... :)...

Until then!!

Thank you Christy!!! EVERYONE BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR MY STORY!!! :)

I've always wanted to write a beautiful story about my life.. and God has also given me that special gift.. from this testimony of mine!!!

Love in Jesus!!! Ill see you soon!!!

Love you Christy!!!

Upvote 0

Christy4Christ

Pro-Christ
Jan 30, 2004
Hollywood, FL
✟5,762.00
Faith
Catholic
AmeriLovesJesus said:
My story is so very personal... I would really love to share as soon as I get it all put down in words... For so long.. I thought that my story was just simple.. and didnt seem like it could be like everyone elses.. As if... how he spoke to me wasnt.. important enough...

Now I am willing to shre it I just want it in the best words as possible..it is very very long..

If you love... love stories.. then you will definitly love this one.. it may even bring tears to your eyes... :)...

Until then!!

Thank you Christy!!! EVERYONE BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR MY STORY!!! :)

I've always wanted to write a beautiful story about my life.. and God has also given me that special gift.. from this testimony of mine!!!

Love in Jesus!!! Ill see you soon!!!

Love you Christy!!!

Ameri,

I can honestly say that people like you make this forum a warm and wonderful place . Your Christ-like loves shines in every one of your posts.

Love you too! :hug: :kiss:

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Christy. I used to go into all the gory details in my testimony, but found that just tended to draw attention to the sinful life I led. Now I try to keep the past details brief, and lift up Jesus who is the deliverer, and whose power enables us to overcome any sin. Jesus said, "If I be lifted up from the earth I will draw all men unto me." Besides, I've had much more exciting things happen AFTER I became a Christian! :) :clap:

Upvote 0