Check your hatred at the door before posting here.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is really a shame since from my perspective a mainstream soteriology position is not a requirement for salvation. It's a pity that folks here have not chosen to be a light that shines to all that are in the house (Matt. 5).
smiley_emoticons_ugly_gruebel.gif
......... 76.5% (159 million) of Americans identify themselves as Christian.

I fear for these:
"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' Matthew 7:22-23

Justification by faith alone is the light to all of God's people and is at the heart of the gospel. Luther called this "articulus stantis vel cadentis ecclesiae" (the article by which the church stands or falls") Evangelical Christians say that a church that lapses from this doctrine cannot scripturally be called Christian.

The "Reformation" IS NECESSARY!.......... and so is the soteriology forum!

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "Reformation" IS NECESSARY!.......... and so is the soteriology forum!

Would it be out of line to pray for another Great Awakening, or another "Reformation" here?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Although I'm going to assume you didn't mean it that way, your statement sounds a little like trying to justify an attitude of hatred toward the opposition.

Hatred toward what is opposite of a particular belief, yes.

One can hate doctrines that are clearly against Scripture, but that does not extend to hating the individuals who hold those doctrines.

I agree, and I don't believe that most people here hate individuals but rather what is opposite of what they believe.

And that's the point here. Consider also that what constitutes correct doctrine is a matter of subjective interpretation in many cases. The hatred for Calvinism expressed by some has spilled over into a clear hatred for its supporters, and that is what must not be allowed to continue.

I'm not a Calvinist, and I do hate much of what calvinist's teach, although I do not hate individuals because they are calvinist. I hate calvinism because it is directly opposed to what I believe in many cases.

God has the right to hate individuals. We don't. We are instructed to pray for our enemies, and love our enemies. Who are our enemies? those who oppose the Gospel, who hate the Lord Jesus Christ, who hate God, who advocate the elimination of Christianity, and Christians. I haven't seen a single Calvinist fit that description, nor have I seen any other person who names the Name of Christ who fits that description.

I don't see hating individuals as being the problem, but moreso hating what is oppossed to the beliefs which people hold dearly. I think it's normal to hate an opposite viewpoint, there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's why people debate as passionately as they do.

Bottom line, Calvinists are not the enemy, nor are anti-Calvinists. In this forum the anti-Calvinists have expressed hatred toward Calvinists, without just cause, and in contravention of their own confessions of faith.

I think that it would be nice to have sorteriolgy debates without calvinism coming up in every thread, and that's what seems to happen here. It seems to me that calvinism rules the day here and if people do hate it, then they're accused of hating individuals rather than the doctrines themselves. I don't believe that's the case at all, although it is stated as such so that it smears any opposition to calvinism in that light.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hatred toward what is opposite of a particular belief, yes.

And I would postulate that hatred is an emotion that fallible men are not equipped to indulge in without consequence. That is what this is about.

Markea said:
I agree, and I don't believe that most people here hate individuals but rather what is opposite of what they believe.

And yet we see post after post which are definitely hatred of individuals who happen to be Calvinists. In this forum.

Markea said:
I'm not a Calvinist, and I do hate much of what calvinist's teach, although I do not hate individuals because they are calvinist. I hate calvinism because it is directly opposed to what I believe in many cases.

Hatred of a doctrinal system can spill over too easily into hatred of its supporters, and for that reason, hatred is, as I said, an emotion that fallible men are not equipped to handle. The Calvinists here do not hate those who oppose, because in many cases, they once believed as their opponents do.

Markea said:
I don't see hating individuals as being the problem, but moreso hating what is oppossed to the beliefs which people hold dearly. I think it's normal to hate an opposite viewpoint, there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's why people debate as passionately as they do.

Well, the Staff sees it differently, and I for one happen to agree with them. hating individuals IS the problem here, and trying to justify it won't fly. The hatred needs to stop, either through self-control (a fruit of the Spirit), or if necessary, the elimination of the self-indulgent haters from the conversation. It boils down to "the easy way, or the hard way".

Markea said:
I think that it would be nice to have sorteriolgy debates without calvinism coming up in every thread, and that's what seems to happen here. It seems to me that calvinism rules the day here and if people do hate it, then they're accused of hating individuals rather than the doctrines themselves. I don't believe that's the case at all, although it is stated as such so that it smears any opposition to calvinism in that light.

I agree that it would be nice to not have Calvinism be the focus of all debate here, but there are some who, because of the undisciplined hatred they hold, work it into every conversation, because they have an agenda. The manifestation of that hatred is often deliberate baiting and goading, for the purpose of exploiting the weaknesses of others, in order to then report posts and get people banned. I have been the victim of such agenda-driven subterfuge myself, so I know with certainty that it happens.

Calvinism does not rule the roost here, nor do Calvinists dominate this forum. In fact, if anything, the opposite is true. If we are supposed to be pursuing Truth here, then it is incumbent on those who wish to express opposition to Calvinism to ensure that their statements regarding Calvinism are accurate, and truthful. The vast majority of them are not. Truth cannot be built on falsehoods, nor truth arrived at by means of falsehoods and inaccuracy. Yet some try to do that every single day here.

Bottom line is this: There is no justification for hatred of the kind which most certainly is being manifested here, and it needs to stop, either by the self-disciplined efforts of the perpetrators, or by means of disciplinary action by the Staff. Those are the choices, and are not negotiable.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I see that you have been a member her as long as I have, although, your post count isn't as high.

I remember when the Theology staff had as many as 7 pages of reports and 60%-70% of them were from the Soteriology area alone.

Perhaps you don't remember the trouble that happened less than a year ago.

Or the trouble that happened a year ago.

Or even the trouble that happened two years ago.

There was a group, granted it was a realitively small group, but that group made up 90% of the anti-calvinist threads started in the Soteriology area.

I disagree with Arminianism. But I do not hate those who hold to that ideology.

But you missed out on the time when certain individuals came into the Soteriology area, with the specific task to smir Calvin or Calvinists in general.

I canpoint to two individuals in particular, who every time they start a thread, it is directed at this sort of activity.

And of course, you have Calvinists like myself, who respond sometimes rather harshly.

And we're not the only ones guilty of this either. I'm pointing my finger at the other side as well.

Bottom line is this, I can and have been involved in a great many number of debates in the Soteriology area. I know how to debate, and I don't mind doing so.

But when members come in here, with one specific task in mind, that goes above and beyond debating, and/or discussion.

Both Arminianism and Calvinism have endured for almost half a millenia. No one person is going to defaet either.

So why do individuals think they can come in here and do so?

I rarely see threads started by Calvinists attacking the Arminian position. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but that it is rare that it does.

But one cannot read through the threads and not find several that do not attack the Calvinistic position.

And that is the key here.

Just like the Michael Servetus issue. Many threads have been started using that as a basis to slam John Calvin. And I, as well as many others, have been quick to point out the errors of that view.

But I can think of nothing that will get Calvinists blood boiling, than to come in and see threads directed at, or attacking our position.

What do people expect when that happens?

You want us to all join hands and sing Kum by ya?

Because that ain't gonna happen.

This place would be a lot better if what I said last year would have been put into practice.

Allow no threads to be started that directly attack either the Calvinist or Arminian position.

I personally know of three members, (and perhaps three others) one who is active right now, that if you did not allow them to start threads attacking the Calvinist position, they couldn't post in the Soteriology area at all and perhaps not on CF entirely!

I'm not perfect, and won't be until the day Christ returns.

So when I see a thread attacking my position, I naturally join in the fray.

I'm as guilty as the next person. But there is nothing I know of that incites either position as to have it publicly attacked day in and day out.

And until that stops, there will be no end to it.

And it really is as simple as that.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's Websters 1828

Hatred
HA'TRED, n. Great dislike or aversion; hate; enmity. Hatred is an aversion to evil, and may spring from utter disapprobation, as the hatred of vice or meanness; or it may spring from offenses or injuries done by fellow men, or from envy or jealousy, in which case it is usually accompanied with malevolence or malignity. Extreme hatred is abhorrence or detestation.

Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And I would postulate that hatred is an emotion that fallible men are not equipped to indulge in without consequence. That is what this is about.

I disagree, hate is essential in love because when we do love something, we will hate what is contrary to it. Here's a scriptural example;

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

Hating what is false is a natural result of loving what is true.

And yet we see post after post which are definitely hatred of individuals who happen to be Calvinists. In this forum.

I don't see it this way, but I don't get out much either. I think that it has more to do with people hating what is contrary to what they believe rather than hatred toward an individual for no reason other than to hate them. I'm not naive enough to believe that hating doctrines doesn't ever spill over into hatred for the people themselves, although I would doubt if that's the root issue.

Hatred of a doctrinal system can spill over too easily into hatred of its supporters, and for that reason, hatred is, as I said, an emotion that fallible men are not equipped to handle. The Calvinists here do not hate those who oppose, because in many cases, they once believed as their opponents do.

And I can say that I don't hate calvinists at all. What I hate are the things which calvinism teaches, not because I hate the person who happens to believe that way, but rather that which is opposite to what I hold dearly as beliefs. I used to work with a brother who was calvinist and we argued constantly about things, but I know that I didn't hate him personally, I hated calvinism, and still do, because it's in direct opposition to what I hold to be true in the word of God.

Well, the Staff sees it differently, and I for one happen to agree with them. hating individuals IS the problem here, and trying to justify it won't fly. The hatred needs to stop, either through self-control (a fruit of the Spirit), or if necessary, the elimination of the self-indulgent haters from the conversation. It boils down to "the easy way, or the hard way".

I've read plenty of the threads here to see that it's a two way street. Some of the comments made by calvinists are just as sarcastic and hate filled as those who speak against it. I think that this is the normal result of passionate debate, because people do hold dearly to these things. I'm sure that calvinists hate what is contrary to calvinsm, and that's normal.

There's no higher ground here for calvinists if that's where you're trying to go with this.

Bottom line is this: There is no justification for hatred of the kind which most certainly is being manifested here, and it needs to stop, either by the self-disciplined efforts of the perpetrators, or by means of disciplinary action by the Staff. Those are the choices, and are not negotiable.

I think that it's difficult to love the word of God and not hate what is contrary to that love. When it happens to be the word of God which we're dealing with in most cases here, that simply amplifies it to the highest level I think.

I agree that debate should not focus on hating the individual, although I also know that hating certain things is a normal aspect of loving what is held dearly amongst Christians. It's to bad that some people associate hating a doctrine to hating a person, but that's probably not going to change any time soon, and so it's tough luck for anyone who happens to hate the doctrines of calvinism as they'll be labeled as hating individuals rather than the things which they actually do hate.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree with calvinism, but I do not hate those who hold to that ideology.

And yet, your in here defending the right to attack Calvinistic beliefs.

I hated calvinism, and still do,

Strange that this runs counter to what this particular thread was intended for.

so it's tough luck for anyone who happens to hate the doctrines of calvinism as they'll be labeled as hating individuals rather than the things which they actually do hate.

Wow! What a big swath you swing with that paint brush.

Now its the Calvinists who are the hate mongers.

Another perfect example of what we were talking about, turning the facts around to where Calvinists are all the trouble in the Soteriology area. :swoon:

Oh well, to each his own.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And yet, your in here defending the right to attack Calvinistic beliefs.

What about my beliefs, what if they get attacked from time to time, or is that not a reality here ?

Is it ok to hate what I believe is contrary to what I hold dear in the scriptures, don't you do the same thing ?

Strange that this runs counter to what this particular thread was intended for.

Wow! What a big swath you swing with that paint brush.

Now its the Calvinists who are the hate mongers.

Another perfect example of what we were talking about, turning the facts around to where Calvinists are all the trouble in the Soteriology area. :swoon:

Oh well, to each his own.

God Bless

Till all are one.

You're the only one that is spinning things here Deacon, and if that's how you read my comments, and feel the need to accuse me of turning things around, then perhaps that's your agenda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about my beliefs, what if they get attacked from time to time, or is that not a reality here ?

Is it ok to hate what I believe is contrary to what I hold dear in the scriptures, don't you do the same thing ?

You're the only one that is spinning things here Deacon, and if that's how you read my comments, and feel the need to accuse me of turning things around, then perhaps that's your agenda.

Wow!

You sure figured me out quickly.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow!

You sure figured me out quickly.

God Bless

Till all are one.

God Bless you as well Deacon, and it's unfortunate that we can't be one in our beliefs concerning soteriology, but that doesn't hinder us from being passionate about what we do believe.

We are one in Christ, and yet divided over Calvinism.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟20,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Christianity is still about relationships...God first, then each other...there is no "self" in Christianity.

The problems are

1. there are a lot of folks who claim to be Christians but are not...this web site is full of them.
  2. There are some who truly think they are but are not, but there are a lot more who know they are not but know if they claim to be a Christian, they can pretty much say what they want and dare someone to call them out on it.
  3. true Christians are getting frustrated on how easily others and can just throw away the Word of God.
The anger, not hate, comes from the flesh and the last time I checked we are all human.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Two quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson come to mind:

Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it.

Meaning, I can go through this area, and see the anti-calvinist rhetoric.

However, being as since I am a Calvinist, perhaps I don't always see it from the other side.

And:

People only see what they are prepared to see.

You see what you are prepared to see, and likewise, the same applies to me.

John Lubbock said:

What we see depends mainly on what we are looking for.

Like I said, I'm not defending the Calvinists in here, I'm as guilty as the rest.

I run with a very small group that defends and stand up for what we believe.

And I'm sure you do too.

But until the attacking of one position over the other stops, this place will be in disharmony.

And that is a fact!

AS God has blessed me in my convictins, I hope God blesses you in yours.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's perfectly fit for Christians to hate certain doctrines, as even the Lord hates certain doctrines. But to hate people for whom Christ died is at odds with the Gospel in being uncharitable.

Provided those doctrines are accurately defined. Too much of what is passed off as definition is actually hearsay, biased slander from biased sources, and outright falsehoods matched to an agenda. Railing against a false definition of a given doctrine amounts to tilting at windmills. Knocking down straw men is not proof of anything, other than maybe gullibility on the part of those who would accept faulty definitions as true, because it already agrees with their chosen view.

In other words, it is incumbent on each person to search out and understand that which they feel they must oppose, or it would be better to remain silent.

Upvote 0
S

SeraphimsCherub

Amen...to all that!!! Unless a person be born from above by the Spirit of God in Christ,and through Christ! "Freely-will" he continue in his "carnally-accused",blind pridefulness,"self-centered","self-willed",("***{([Self-Righteous])}***")"self-saviour", in a sinfull dead-to GOD ("nature")!!! Just as ("naturally"), and ("freely") as acorns ("Fall") from the trees!!!

SeraphimsCherub,
God Bless

Upvote 0

grabsuccess

True Believer
Feb 26, 2011
Louisiana
✟7,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is nothing wrong with studying the Word to see if things are so,
as the Bereans did:

Acts 17:10-12

10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. 12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

I believe the Bible can be taken literally through the common literary mechanisms of allegory, parable, simile, metaphor, hyperbole, and irony used to convey a word picture representing the original idea.

There is no reason we cannot agree to disagree without animosity. That is called debate.

We can also use a much more genial (friendly) method - called a discussion, to convey why we do or do not agree.

Common sense must be employed to understand and study the Word. It also helps to learn how to use a good Concordance and a Greek and Hebrew Lexicon. Commentaries are great Biblical Tools

too.

There might be many opinions about the Word, but we are all one in Christ.

:preach:Galatians 3:26-29

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

http://www.twopaths.com/faq_BibleTrue.htm

"In the majority view, many of the Bible's stories are historically accurate and should be interpreted literally. But some spiritual truths are revealed through the common literary mechanisms of allegory, parable, simile, metaphor, hyperbole, and irony that were never intended to be taken literally. Such mechanisms serve to "paint a mental picture" of ideas not easily expressed in words. The Bible reveals timeless spiritual truths about God, love, salvation, faith, morals and ethics that transcend the realms of science and history. We can appreciate the beauty of a sunrise whether or not the sun literally "rises" above the earth. In the same way, we can understand and appreciate the lessons of the Bible whether or not all its stories are true in a literal sense."

http://www.watchmanmag.com/0204/020414.htm

"The student of the Bible will endeavor to determine the meaning of a statement at the time it was written and how it was understood by those addressed. This is true of any document. To properly understand, one must be able to determine if a word or a passage is being used in a literal sense or in a figurative sense.

There are those who will tell you that everything in the Bible is literal and there are those who argue that nothing in the Bible is literal; that everything is figurative. Both of these concepts are wrong. Surely no one thinks that when Jesus said "go and say to that fox" that He meant that Herod had long ears and a bushy tail. Neither are we to understand that when Paul said "Hagar is mount Sinai," (Gal. 4:25), that he intended to suggest that she was a mountain. You hear people say that the "Bible means just what it says." This statement, intended to praise the Bible, unwittingly sets forth an erroneous concept. The Bible means what it means, and to determine the proper meaning of a passage, we must be able to distinguish between the literal and the figurative."

The main point is that we are all in Christ, we are saved by God's grace because of our faith in what Jesus did on the cross. Jesus did all the work for us.

This does not give us a right to sin freely, but makes us want to Love God even more by obeying and keeping his Commandments as much as we are able to with his help.

We are still sinners, even now, we still wrestle against the flesh, but when we do sin and ask forgiveness in Jesus name, we are forgiven.

To despise your brother in Christ for having a different opinion on scripture is of the utmost foolishness. Their are so many Christian Denominations because of our diverse opinions, they do not harbor
animosity toward each other over disagreements and neither should we.

If there is something that we think is wrong with a certain person or church, the acceptable thing is to pray for them after searching ourselves first to see if it isn't ourselves that needs that prayer.

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.