Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And wood can't last that long even in salt water without being covered with silt, which these aren't.

I think someone argued that the wheels were metal plated, so that point would be moot in that case, but as I have said before, the location of migdol has been established on the way of horus near the other border forts. That is near where the crossings happened.

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just like many of the ships from colonial times, etc. Different woods stay preserved in certain waters (fresh or salt). Many of the old (wood) ships would rot quickly in fresh water when they could last hundreds (or thousands) of years in salt water...

And yet the Titanic is lacking its wooden parts, despite being in salt water AND at a depth where life is very rare. So, perfect conditions as you seem to indicate. Salt water which preserves, and minimum life to feed off the wood. And yet the Titanic is lacking wooden structures after being down there for less than a century. HOWEVER, these wooden wheels are intact after several thousand years, apparently! Something doesn't seem to add up here.

Upvote 0

champuru

I don't know what I want to put here. Suggestions?
Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is the link to an article with pictures of chariot wheels on the bottom of the Red Sea:

http://bibleprobe.com/exodus.htm

For those too lazy to read the article, just scroll down and look at the pictures.

I wonder what the skeptics are going to say now?:

"Everyone knows chariots race through there all the time!"

"Christians planted those.....it is part of their grand master plan to rule the world!"

"Those wheels evolved there naturally!"

The reality is that if you take an unbiased look at the evidence, there is only one faith that stands the test:

Christianity

Here are some real things skeptics (Yes, I'm Christian) would say

"They may not be Egyptian in origin"
"They may have been washed out with the tide"
"They may have fallen out of a boat"
"Even if the whole Exodus story is true it doesnt prove Christianity, it proves a single story in Judaism"

Now if it was thoroughly studied and proven to be true I would be the first to applaud, but until that happens I'm going to have faith for faith's sake and not because of some wheels in the bottom of the Red Sea.

Reactions: Glass*Soul
Upvote 0

Hairy Tic

May 4, 2005
✟2,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Interesting article. However you need to be careful with your sources.
Your article quotes the wheels were found by Ron Wyatt, while I am sure he was well meaning, his works are dubioius. Even answers in genesis thinks he is wrong (near bottom of page on link below)

Special report: Amazing ‘Ark’ exposé
## And also: http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1511-ron-wyatt-the-indiana-jones-of-the-sda-church

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,378.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet the Titanic is lacking its wooden parts, despite being in salt water AND at a depth where life is very rare. So, perfect conditions as you seem to indicate. Salt water which preserves, and minimum life to feed off the wood. And yet the Titanic is lacking wooden structures after being down there for less than a century. HOWEVER, these wooden wheels are intact after several thousand years, apparently! Something doesn't seem to add up here.
Except that the claim is that corals encrusted upon the wheels are what has survived. Similar to fossils still bearing the shapes of tiny creatures a billion years old.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you would prefer the long answer:
No one is disputing that the israelites traversed a big body of water. Saying they went through a marsh because of "reed sea" is stupid, based on the rest of the story. That doesn't change the fact that the body of water is called "reed sea," and moreover, this particular reed sea cannot be the Red Sea because of the other geographical markers in the text. The crossing took place near Pi-hahiroth, Migdol, and Baal Zephon. (Exodus 14:1) Migdol, along with Tjaru and The House of the Lion, are well attested as the border forts on the Way of Horus. These sites have been identified by James Hoffmeir and are located precicely where we usually expect a crossing, on the border between Egypt and the Sinai. Not Aqaba.
hello epi i am late coming to this discussion, so forgive me if i repeat a question alrealy asked.

i take it from your answer you do not believe the gulf of Aquaba is the crossing?

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SOME OBJECTIVE THOUGHTS ON THIS ...

1. Always be careful when you see "new evidence" from someone who has set out to prove a point. Anyone who truly searches for the truth must have an OPEN MIND - they must be willing to weigh various possibilities. Can CANNOT know the answer, before you first ASK THE QUESTION.

2. It is very possible that the Egyptians transported chariot wheels. Maybe craftsmen made them and transported them. Maybe they fell off a ship that was sailing on the Red Sea!! Or A SHIP SANK, and the wheels were cargo!! There are lot of possibilities.

3. If SOMEONE actually found the real site where the Miracle of the Red Sea happened (and some believe it does not exist), then you would expect to find chariots, wheels, weapons, artefacts belonging to soldiers. According to the Bible, there must have been at least 1200-1500 people killed on one location. So the remnants from that disaster will look like a war happened. It would be a BIG find. It would not look like "a couple of chariot wheels".

4. The probable location of the Miracle is somewhere north of the town of Suez today. The exact location is not known. WHEN I have time, I will try to estimate where this location can be found in Egypt. There are a few techniques available today - but NOTHING is perfect!! The reason that the location is north of Suez is because the Red Sea was a different shape many centuries ago ... when the Israelites made their bid for freedom. However, I don't get paid for this stuff, and I am pretty busy. So it could be quite a while before I can run the analyses.

It's great that you are interested. It's always good to be excited about Biblical Archaeology.
Just keep an open mind, that's all!!

blessings, Gideon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Except they aren't Egyptian in origin and aren't in the right place for the exodus...
well you are assuming because of one picture every chariot in his army came from the same place . which means he never had a war ? he never bought a chariot and never had chariots gifted to him as tribute . which would be of course ridiculous to assume
so hey do you know where Solomon gets his chariots and his Horses from and he had thousands of horse and hundreds of chariots ( not the ones he was given as tribute or they made themselves ) but where did he get his best ones? want to bet Pharaoh got his horses and chariots from the places who do all that Horsy stuff best and then the chariot stuff best because money was no Object right?

if you had the money would you have a ford or a foreign ???? pocket rocket.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry, but, I don't believe in radiocarbon dating. Or evolution. In fact, I make fun of and mock it. I believe what the Bible tells me, not something that fallible human beings made up. Mankind is not perfect, and the kind of work he does will not be perfect either. You are a fool if you put trust in man or in his work. GOD alone is perfect. GOD alone will not fail you. Put your trust in Him.

Humans are retards compared to GOD. You and I can name one or more village idiot in town. People have character flaws and some of them even have mental illnesses. And you will still trust them despite that? I laugh.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The most persuasive location I have come across for the crossing of the "Reed Sea" (yes, Reed not Red) is the narrows between the Greater and Lesser Bitter Lakes in the Sinai Peninsula. At the present they are a part of the Suez Canal but at the time of the Exodus they were connected to the Red Sea by a short stream and were tidal in nature. The fleeing Hebrews were trapped by the Egyptian army at the narrows but then the wind rose at low tide and made the already shallow crossing even shallower. The Hebrews waded across, quite possibly at night, and when the Egyptians attempted pursuit the tide had come in and the wind had dropped. The pursuit failed disastrously. Nothing miraculous just the pure dumb luck that so often has made history.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture gives me the impression that the Israelites were wandering around in Sinai, along the western shores of the Gulf of Aqaba, staring at apparently uncrossable water, and "looking really lost", like they didn't even know how to escape from Egyptian territory... and that that was what convinced Pharaoh that the Israelites had no "Divine support" and inspired him to give chase (despite the plagues which had convinced him of "Divine intervention" in the first place).

Of course, it's been said that "war is deception" and Scripture states that "YHWH is a warrior" (Ex 15). God in heaven knew how to escape the Israelites across the Red Sea (Gulf of Aqaba) and lure Pharaoh into a trap that would demonstrate Divine Power in our Solar System on Earth and "take the Egyptians out of the picture" for 40 years in the Wilderness of Sinai "in Arabia" (Gal 4). Destroying an entire Egyptian army unit prevented the Egyptians from seeking out the Israelites in retaliation for years.

"Wall of water" sounds like a Tsunami, and "pillar of smoke & fire" sounds like a volcanic eruption. Some sort of seismic event triggering a Tsunami could have caused water to withdraw for up to 30min, long enough for the Israelites to cross and lure in the Egyptians to get smashed by the returning waves. Inspecting a depth chart of the Gulf of Aqaba, with a low enough tide, you could almost cross at the mouth of the same, at the Strait of Tiran:

Gulf-Aqaba.jpg

Perhaps Moses, according to Divine Guidance & Instruction, led the Israelites more or less south along the western shores of the Gulf of Aqaba, to the Strait of Tiran. Pharaoh mocked the Israelites for "looking so incredibly stupid", confident that no "God in heaven" could so affect Earth so as to escape them then. He charged his army out just as a major earthquake rocked the region, triggering a Tsunami that exposed a shallow land bridge across the Strait. The Israelites made it across just as (say) some combination of aftershocks & walls of water (say) shifted "Jazirat Tiran (Tiran island?)" which partially collapsed, so severing the land bridge and excavating the Strait of Tiran to its modern depth?

If so, thousands of Egyptian chariot artifacts would be buried in the sediments in the Strait of Tiran. Some may have floated far out to sea, or far up the Gulf of Aqaba, to be found elsewhere also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Wall of water" sounds like a Tsunami, and "pillar of smoke & fire" sounds like a volcanic eruption"

My theory is slightly different from yours. But with some essential elements in common.

Yes, I believe that the unique set of events was due to a very unusual tsunami. Specifically, a vary large ocean wave originating in the Indian Ocean and propagating northwards. The wave would therefore enter both the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. Please note that prior to the arrival of the crest of the wave, there is actually a trough. Therefore, water was drawn out of the Red Sea, and then later flowed back in. This is the basic action for why Moses was able to cross on 'dry ground', and then later the pursuing Army was swamped and killed. But the specifics of the physics of this event, the flow of water, both in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf would require a great deal of study (modeling). It is within the capability of scientists today, but certainly challenging.

And what was the cause of the tsunami?
A glancing impact of a comet into the Indian Ocean. The comet was moving north to south, probably impacting somewhere in the ocean north of Madagascar. That would create a very unusual, and catastrophic series of events with large waves. Please note that the events described in the Bible about the Red Sea crossing have a "good deal in common" with the comet theory. As the comet was approaching the Earth, it would appear as a ball of fire and smoke in the sky. As it swept overhead, there would indeed be a very large wind. All these things are recorded from the writings of Moses.

Needless to say - this type of event is a once-in-all-of-human-history event. And the crossing of the Red Sea also is consistent with that. Not likely to be the kind of thing that we ever see again.

These ideas are purely a theory, or hypothesis. It would take a great deal of investigation to prove/disprove them.

Nothing that I have said 'subtracts' from the Biblical account at all. Quite the opposite - it actually adds credibility. There are a series of physics-based mechanisms that might really explain the extraordinary events recorded in Exodus.

Kindest Regards,
Pete (Gideon)

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟39,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
either way mount sianai is in arabbia and to get their you have to crose the gulf of aqaba somewhere
this is where mposes wpent 40 years and knew it well
Galatians 4:25 25Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
either way mount sianai is in arabbia and to get their you have to crose the gulf of aqaba somewhere
this is where mposes wpent 40 years and knew it well
Galatians 4:25 25Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children.
Maybe some connection to the revelation reference to Sodom and EGYPT?

Upvote 0