✟15,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Howdy,

I was wondering if there was a website or book that has a good history of the CCR. One of the priests in my Anglican parish was a redemptorist who helped set up the CCR in this Catholic Archdiocese, and was hoping to maybe find a little about his role. Thanks for anything and your time.

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A couple of short posts in relation to your enquiry HoganWynne.

Here is the Redemptorist's site for the USA - I am hoping that a Redemptorist there should be of assistance.

Superpages.com: Try Again
(Texas) - this Priest may still be there - if not someone there should know of him.

Redemptorists Denver Province

Ministries - Conference of Redemptorists of North America

www.redemptorists.net/images/upload/Brehl interview.pdf
(Interviews with Redemptorists USA)

Some extract replies from a similar question Hogan that may be of assistance.

Alphonse Liguori and Francis de Sales among other great saints were noted for the effectiveness of the missions they preached. It was particularly strong as a Lent or Advent tradition before V2, and its revival is an excellent sign.

It usually consists of a week of preaching services each evening, often with Mass or Benediction and Adoration, possible preceded by a meal, covered dish or whatever. It may be conducted by one or by a team of priests. there is usually a "kick-off" at the Sunday Masses, and the mission begins Sunday evening after a pot-luck supper. I vividly remember the missions conducted in my childhood parish. Attendance was so huge they had to be held in the high school gym. Entire families attended (as a girl scout I helped with child care, that was our service project).

a parish mission was responsible for the life decisions and priority-changing that led to our eventual move down here to Texas and the work we are now doing, and our involvement in the Church.

My parish has a mission week every Spring. We bring in a priest who specializes in this type of work. He usually speaks at all of the Masses on the Sunday before that week and then we have something every night Mon-Fri with at least one night of parishwide reconciliation and one of Mass and/or adoration.

We have a group of lay people who organize this every year as a ministry. If you are interested in having a mission talk with your priest and some like-minded folks about organizing a committee. You need to plan about a year ahead to get the speaker booked. It does cost to bring in these folks, so you have to plan for airfare, etc. Perhaps if you have a small parish you could get together with the next closest parish and do a mission week together?

When I was a kid going to Protestant churches with relatives they had something similar and called it a "revival."

Love and kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry Hogan - I reside on the other side of God's world, however, if you look at the link, there will be contact details for you. The message was from one of those links etc.

All the best and merry Christ-mas,

Love and kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0