Catholics welcomed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaPhi

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
✟681.00
take a look at the "differences between christians and catholics' thread (a thread that from its inception has been anti-Catholic, but none of the moderators here have lifted a finger to stop it) in the Interfaith forum.

I hope all the Catholics on this board see that it is okay for GEL, mgc and ed to (in roundabout ways) call us idolaters. But it is not okay for anyone to in return point out ed's idolatry of the King James version of the Bible. Take a good hard look at the fact that ed is allowed to post the Boettner list, one of the most disgusting pieces of anti-Catholic fiction in the last century, and none of the moderators take him to task for it.

But any post responding to him in kind is quickly pulled by biased moderators.

Look at all that and then ponder whether or not this board is somewhere Catholics should be.

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Hi,

We go OUT OF OUR WAY to make sure that no Christians or their denominations gets attacked here on our forums.

We don't care if the member is Catholic or Protestant. Believe me, we have been so much against anti-Catholic posts that I have been accused of being too pro-Catholic. Now you say we are anti-Catholic again. What is going on???

It seems you can't win when it comes to sectarian issues. I hope everyone realises that this forum is neither Catholic nor Protestant.

Realise too that the Interfaith Forum has 2 Catholic moderators (KC Catholic and ZooMom) - please PM them or report a post if you feel it is too "anti-Catholic".

Just the other day this forum was accused of being "anti-Protestant". Now it's "anti-Catholic".

Let me make this clear - this forum is "pro-Christian". As for individual posts or threads, feel free to report them to the moderators of the forum.

I did not make this forum site for a single denomination or group of Christians - it is for all Christians - that is why I placed the site vision at the top of every page so that people would see this.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Originally posted by AlphaPhi
Any place that lets people post lies that Catholics worship Mary, or start threads that flat out question whether Catholicism is even Christian, most certainly has an anti-Catholic tint to it.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

So are you.

The Interfaith Discussion is for the debate of this very issues. As this site is opened to all Christians, discussion regarding doctrinal issues are to be expected.

We cannot start removing posts by people just because they have want to discuss these doctrinal differences.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Btw, our site, as I have STATED ON EVERY PAGE, is not anti-Catholic or anti-Protestant.

I cannot stop members from being either though. Should I ban members for having an opinion? Of course not. As long as they keep within our 7 rules, they can keep posting. But if you feel they have broken a rule, REPORT them, and the staff (there are 32 of us) will investigate.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Oh, so now it's open to "opinion" whether Catholics are idol worshippers and Maryolators? Yes, I see how warm your embrace of Catholics truly is.

Next you gonna invite Jack T. Chick to post here?

I did not say those things. A member obviously did.

Don't accuse me for not embracing Catholics. I own this site, I run it, I program it, but I do not look at the posts - this is why I have a staff.

If you don't like it, REPORT the post. Don't complain about it here.

I don't know who Jack T. Chick is, so why are you predicting that I would invite him to post here?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlphaPhi

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
✟681.00
Because if edjones can spread his anti-Catholic bigotry and lies, why not invite the modern king of anti-Catholic literature to join the team?

On a board that was truly open to Catholics, you wouldn't even be able to start a thread named "the differences between christians and catholics." That very title is bigotted and biased. But clearly, you all are more about letting bigots express themselves than creating a board where Catholics feel welcome.

Hell, you even ripped away the one forum that was designed to be a Catholic safe haven. Now there's no where we can go that edjones and his like-minded bigot brigade can't follow.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
...the charade of decency... You're trying to split the middle. The middle never holds.

I disagree.

I believe there will come a time when a Christian is a Christian. I do not see people as Catholics or Protestant, only as Christians. It is obvious that other people cannot. All Christians, whether they are Catholic or Protestant, will be united as one body.

All this bickering is very sad, and not what this site is about.

There is no charade of decency. We at all times strive to be decent in all things for we are Christian.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
*sigh*

I need to go get my car fixed, so I shall have to leave this discussion. Look, we try, sometimes we don't get there, but we do try.

We had a Catholics-only forum, but then we were accused of being too divisive and "anti-Protestant". Now it's the other way around.

*deep sigh*

Well, let's continue this later, shall have to go.

God bless you all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Hey, we're Catholics. We're used to this stuff. It comes with the territory. When they up the ante and start using virulantly derogatory language and insults, as they will, that's the time to complain, but in the meantime, don't sweat it. Just go to biblical evidence for catholicism, find something appropriate and post it. They've got questions, or even snide comments, we have answers.

Lee

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dr Loh:

AlphaPhi is a little too heated for my tastes, but I do believe there is more than a grain of truth to what he says. I personally have been defending the Catholic Faith all over this message board. Some things have been out-and-out accusations, while others have been snide remarks. In the true teaching of Jesus, I have tried my best to correct any anti-Catholic statements and educate people about the Church. And to be blunt, I've been beaten bloody by the King James Version all over the place.

One of the MAJOR dividing issues between Catholic and Protestant is the Protestant belief of "Sola Scriptura," a teaching which appears to have originated with Martin Luther. After being accused of following "nonscriptural" Catholic practices, no matter HOW I explained the Church's teachings, I finally had enough and posted the Martin Luther: Supreme Egotist thread. Well, what do you know, all of a sudden there is an UPROAR about "antiProtestant" postings, and POW, even you get involved.

In a court of law, the only acceptable defense against slander is truth. If what is being said is TRUE, then slander has not been committed. I say to you, read the post of Martin Luther's own words. My remarks are quite irreverant, I admit, but Luther fits the definition of Egotist.

Later in the thread, I stated that I KNEW my remarks were harsh, but that my goal was to point out that EVERYBODY has sacred cows, and I was personally getting tired of mine being turned into hamburger.

I personally find it amazing that people who believe that they can be empowered by the Holy Spirit to interpret Sacred Scripture can get so brutal if you dare to do the same thing, and your interpretation differs from theirs. And God help the person who states that he or she lets the CHURCH be the one to do the interpretation!

I don't mind educating people about the Catholic faith. I have enjoyed many thread conversations with people explaining the how and why we believe the way we do. And I have no problem accepting that folks might disagree with some of the teachings. The animosity begins when there is no RESPECT for the two sides. And I personally lose it when I am told flat out, "You are WRONG."

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, Erwin. :)

As a Catholic who has had his share of being beaten over the head on the Net, let me just step in and try to dispassionately make a few comments, if I may.

First of all, I want to say that I think this site is overall a pretty darn good site. It has a lot on some of the other so-called "Christian" sites I have been to, where the non-Catholics rip both the Catholics and each other, to shreds. This site has, thanks be to God, avoided that for the most part. We have a good team of moderators here, and I think they do a good job. That extends to you as well; so far from what I've seen, you're doing a very good job here. I constantly see improvements to the site itself, and that's a good thing.

I agree with you to an extent about what posters may and may not do. If a poster comes on and types in some sort of trash, you or the mods are certainly not to blame for what that person said. If what the poster says gets of bounds, then naturally the staff is, to a certain extent, responsible for what the poster has said, in that the staff needs to either edit the post or remove it entirely and issue a warning to the offending party.

Something you said in one of your responses to Alpha caught my eye, and I would like to expand on it, just to a degree. Please understand that I do not say this as any sort of criticism towards you or to the staff or the site. You have my respect, and I intend to do everything I can to make sure it stays that way. :) I merely wish to expand on this so that it might help you to understand where Alpha is coming from. Alpha said this:
Next you gonna invite Jack T. Chick to post here?
To which you responded:
I don't know who Jack T. Chick is, so why are you predicting that I would invite him to post here?
I think this may be part of the reason why Alpha is upset, and you are confused. :) Jack Chick is a nutball from California who publishes some of the worst, most vile anti-Catholic sewage in the world. If you want to see a sampling of his bilge, you can tap into his website at http://www.chick.com.

The reason this caught my eye was that Alpha was upset at the posting of the "Boettner list"; this is a list of lies about Catholic practices that was originally published in a book written by one Loraine Boettner in 1962, and it's been around ever since. His book consists of 300+ pages of bum fodder, but it was posted, and Alpha was irritated, naturally enough; those of us who are Catholic have seen this thing nine million times at various sites around the Net. I agree with you that if Alpha was upset with the content, he should have reported the post. However, I'm suspecting that maybe the reason why you're befuddled as to the extent of Alpha's anger is because, as you said, you don't know who Jack T. Chick is. :)

I think that maybe if you investigate a bit into these people, Chick, and Boettner, and Dave Hunt, and Alexander Hislop, and take the time to read some of the things they have published, you might gain a better understanding of why Catholics get sick and tired of seeing this stuff posted all the time. It's sort of like someone posting sections of Mein Kampf on a Jewish website, and when someone gets upset, the moderator says, "I don't know why you're angry; and besides, I don't even know who Adolf Hitler is." :D (I say this entirely as an illustration, of course.)

So, my point is, if you take just a few extra minutes to examine some of this material that's put forth at times, it will help you to understand why it's so provacative to Catholics. Sewage is sewage, even if it's cut-and-pasted on a website, and even if you don't know who the original author is. Maybe you've never seen it before, and ergo, undersatandably enough, you don't know why it causes anger; but it's still sewage, nevertheless. Again, I am not being critical of you, Sir, or of the mods. Or at least, I'm trying not to be :)

I am not suggesting that you block all posts of an anti-Catholic nature; personally, I see them as educational portunities, and as I said, I agree with you that if a poster is upset with a certain post, he should report it to the mods. I simply wanted to take the time to highlight for you the reason why Alpha was upset, in a dispassionate sort of way, and maybe you can understand better where he's coming from. And, maybe next time, when somebody mentions garbage by Chick, you'll know what they're talking about. :)

I wish you the very finest of days, Sir. May the Lord bless you and please keep up the fine work here.

I remain very sincerely yours,
---Wolseley.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.