✟17,470.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
:help: :cry: :confused: :help:
I am really at a frustrating point in my life right now and I just need some feedback. I know that many of you have been, or currently are, in this same sort of situation.

I'm moving to Monterey with DH in January (we are having the ceremony in December on his exodus). I graduated from college with a BS in Psychology 6 months ago. I haven't gotten a job because I didn't see the point in getting one when I'll just be leaving here. I had an opportunity for a great job, but it would've taken a lot of time away from planning the wedding; it would've cost the company a lot of money to train me and then have me quit and them have to train someone else, and I just didn't feel right doing that to them. So now I'm just sitting on my butt planning a wedding and I just feel useless. I know that it will get better when I get out there and can get a job, but I just have this overwhelming feeling that my life is completely out of my control.

For you career women who are married and followed your husband around; how did you do it? I want to have children eventually; but I have always wanted a career. I want to go to graduate school very badly. I want to get a degree in Forensic Psychology (not forensic science); I am interested in working as a consultant to companies and lawyers and being an 'expert' witness in court cases; determine competency, criminal profiling, jury selection, determining "insanity", that sort of thing. http://www.wcupa.edu/_ACADEMICS/sch_cas.psy/Career_Paths/Forensic/Career08.htm

I have considered getting my degree online, but I don't really know how practical that is; especially since my degree deals with PEOPLE and LABS and the sort of thing that might be difficult to do online. I don't know how long it will take to actually get my degree; but from what research I've done; I would need to go straight through & get my PhD instead of just a Masters. And that can take several years. . . .. . So what happens if DH and I get stationed somewhere, and I get into a PhD program that will take 4-6 years to complete, and then he has to PSC? I don't want to be away from him; but I have always wanted to have a career and this is of great interest/importance to me.

I am also worried about getting my degree and then having to move afterwards and not being able to get work because I haven't been 'established' in that area as a credible source. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA It's all just so frustrating and confusing! I just need some opinions and words of advice from people who have been there or are going through the same thing.

Thanks in advance!
:hug:

ciaradawn

Let not your heart be troubled
Jun 15, 2007
Hamilton, Montana
Visit site
✟17,470.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
haha yeah I know! I wish this area was more active!
The frustration is still there and going strong... I found a government job that I am going to apply for; which comes with more frustration because I know how the government's system can be... it takes forever!

acutally; here's the whole story...
So I've been looking online b/c that's about all I can do before I actually get to CA. It's a job that I really think I could be great at and it actually requires a degree!!!

(I have a BS in Psychology and all the jobs I've found either require only a GED or a Masters!!! GRRRRRRR)

It's a Victim Assistance Advocate (working with children who have suffered domestic violence) They have Probation Department positions and District Attorney possitions. One is more like counseling for the child, and the other provides more legal help to the child (interviewing, explaining the process, scheduling court appearances...) I would TOTALLY be AMAZING at this job. I volunteered at a local shelter for child abuse victims and I'm really into the legal aspects (want to get my phd in Forensic Psych).

BUT......... It's a government job and I know how frustrating those can be because they take FOREVER and I might not even be in Cali for that long, AND once they find out I'm a military wife will they even consider me? AND the deadline is November 22. And as I'm applying from Alabama will they even take me seriously? It also says it requires a California driver's license OR "be able to provide suitable transportation that is approved by the appointing authority"... ?

They have a phone number; I'm wondering if I should call and see if I can speak to someone. This would really be a great opportunity for me even if I can only work there for a short period of time. I mean this kind of job I would be willing to stay behind for; while DF moved (not for too long though!) I really need some good job experience like this but in my field it's so hard to come by.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.