Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Canon 1247 states that

On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

Does this mean that Catholics take the days mentioned in Canon 1246 off from work? :confused:

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a Catholic can, they do. The important thing is that we go to Mass. Most Catholic parishes offer Mass 3 times on Sunday and at least once on Saturday besides daily Mass. So if a Catholic has to work on Sunday or a holiday and it is not their own fault that they have to work, the Church understands as long as they go to Mass and that they have a day of rest.

I can look up more information on this if you like, but that is my understanding. Although, we are obligated to attend Mass on the obligated days listed by our Diocese in our own area too.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Canon 1247 states that

Does this mean that Catholics take the days mentioned in Canon 1246 off from work? :confused:

It means in a Catholic society, they are GIVEN these days off from work.

Properly, the social order recognizes the human need for rest and recreation. Therefore employers should grant employees paid time off. It is a matter of a Catholic vision of social justice.

Upvote 0

GratefulToGod

Feb 3, 2010
✟15,284.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I can't speak as an expert but I know that Father says that while it is preferred that one doesn't do unnecessary work on the Sabbath, the Church understands if you would lose your job, or not be able to feed your family if you have to work and understands. Freely choosing to miss Mass is still mortal, however and that is why there are different times as D'Ann noted.

As to paid day off by employers, while the Catechism can be pretty direct about social justice, the obligation for making the Sabbath day holy falls on the individuals themselves, not their employers. I've never heard that any day of obligation including Sabbath should be paid time off by an employer and I'm pretty sure any instruction for employers to pay employees for Sundays off isn't in the Catechism anywhere.

CCC 2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Well, I can't speak as an expert but I know that Father says that while it is preferred that one doesn't do unnecessary work on the Sabbath, the Church understands if you would lose your job, or not be able to feed your family if you have to work and understands. Freely choosing to miss Mass is still mortal, however and that is why there are different times as D'Ann noted.

As to paid day off by employers, while the Catechism can be pretty direct about social justice, the obligation for making the Sabbath day holy falls on the individuals themselves, not their employers. I've never heard that any day of obligation including Sabbath should be paid time off by an employer and I'm pretty sure any instruction for employers to pay employees for Sundays off isn't in the Catechism anywhere.

CCC 2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

I fyou read the Catechism that way consistently, you could say the same thing about abortion -- it is something individuals are not supposed to do.

No, employers have a moral obligation to treat workers with respect and dignity. And this means recognizing their right to rest and recreation as well as their spiritual obligations.

Upvote 0