Canadian Hemlock

Dutchunter

Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
✟239.00
Faith
Christian
Is it un-American to plant these in the USA?

Just kidding....I've got a small stand/section of Boxelder trees..or should I say weeds..where there's room to plant other trees. Since it's shady I thought Canadian Hemlock would be a good choice? I'd prefer a Conifer. Or maybe there's something else you could think of- tall grasses maybe?

Eventually those Boxelders are either coming down or I'm going to drill a hole thru them and pour on some type of killer. The latter may not be a good idea as they'd make nice-n-dry wooden matches if a fire should ever start. They are spread out quite a bit though- most aren't too big. But for the most part they're growing every which way but straight up.

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are many beautiful hemlock cultivars available, as well as yews (which also do well in the shade).

Arrowhead Alpines and Gee Farms both have websites and good selections. I also got some nice stuff from Rich's Foxwillow Farms. I started out by grabbing cultivar names and doing browser searches for them. There are a number or horticultural photo databases that can help as well.

Reactions: Dutchunter
Upvote 0

SnowOwlMoon

Aug 14, 2003
✟514.00
Faith
Catholic
Dutchunter said:
Is it un-American to plant these in the USA?

Just kidding....I've got a small stand/section of Boxelder trees..or should I say weeds..where there's room to plant other trees. Since it's shady I thought Canadian Hemlock would be a good choice? I'd prefer a Conifer. Or maybe there's something else you could think of- tall grasses maybe?

Eventually those Boxelders are either coming down or I'm going to drill a hole thru them and pour on some type of killer. The latter may not be a good idea as they'd make nice-n-dry wooden matches if a fire should ever start. They are spread out quite a bit though- most aren't too big. But for the most part they're growing every which way but straight up.

Are the Boxelder trees providing the shade? If so, the shade won't be there when they come out--which is something to consider when planning for the future.

What USDA or Sunset zone do you live in? You need to consider that as well--maximum and minimum temperatures, and the amount of rainfall you get.

Upvote 0

Dutchunter

Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
✟239.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for the info Chilehed. I wish the guy at Arrowhead Alpines hadn't shared his views on Homeland Security though! ;)

SnowOwlMoon...I would say the Boxelders are providing MORE shade than if they weren't there. It would still be quite shady and I guess I could leave some of the nicer Boxelders up. This would be on one side of a creek- the other side- south side- has huge willows and other trees. I think there are even some willows on the other side too. East and West also has other trees.

I'm in 4 or 5 depending upon which map I look at. It's central Wisconsin.

Thanks

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dutchunter said:
Thanks for the info Chilehed. I wish the guy at Arrowhead Alpines hadn't shared his views on Homeland Security though! ;)
Yeah, Bob's definetly got some opinions, it turns a lot of people off but I like him. He and Brigitta are serious plantsmen, ver knowledgable and they have a lot of choice stuff.

Upvote 0