Can one demon fraudulently cast out another demon?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟93,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disclaimer: This OP is written from the mindset of Christ, not the mindset of the antagonistic Jews.

Luke 11:

14 Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled. 15 But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons,”
According to some, it was possible for one demon to fraudulently cast out another demon. Paul suggested that same possibility in 2 Cor 11:

13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness.
People and demons can pretend to do good.

Now, back to Jesus in Luke 11:

17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. 18 And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. 19 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges.
Ask your people. They cast demons out, too, and they would tell you that they did it by the power of God.

What was Jesus' logic here? Was Jesus saying one demon couldn't cast out another?

No, that would be an over-generation of Jesus' argument. One demon could cast out another demon for short-term gain. Jesus had been casting out demons (plural) many times. Satan could not have employed Jesus because doing so would destroy Satan's evil kingdom in the long run. Jesus' argument was not based on just one instance of casting out demons but on Jesus' long-term character.

20 But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe; 22 but when one stronger than he attacks him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his spoil. 23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
If you accuse me of casting out demons by Beelzebul, whose side are you on? That's the more important question.

Jesus warned them in Matthew 7:

22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
One could even fraudulently cast out demons in Jesus' name! The question is this: Are you on Jesus' side? Do you belong to Christ? Are you acting on his behalf or just paying him lip service?

Satan can use demons to perform deceptively righteous works occasionally but not in the long run. If he did, it would be self-destructive for him.