Oyo state
✟19,839.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Pls kindly educate me about a miniters who is called by God and a part time miniter that is chosen by his church general overseer to pastor a branch of his church,I have heard churches encouraging brothers and sister in the Lord to attend Bible school and and appoint them as pastors of there church branch and also witness churches that do not allow such except you are call by God to be a minister,is there any danger in appointing someone to preside over a church without the calling of God

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,519,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ideally, the call of God and the need of the Church occur together. Because we are human, and flawed, sometimes we get it wrong, though.

Calling is also more complicated than just "am I called to be a minister?" but, "Am I called to be a minister to this group of people at this time?" I've said no to places I was asked to consider that were, from my point of view, clearly not what I was called to!

Is there any danger? In short, yes. If it's not where that person is meant to be, they will struggle, because ministry is tough and nobody has the right gifts, personality, experience, and so on, for every place. And that can harm both the minister and the congregation.

That said, there is also danger - immense danger - in appointing people without giving them the training and equipping they need. Churches do need to take educating and forming their ministers seriously; a call is necessary, but we need to prepare people for that role!

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟531,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pls kindly educate me about a miniters who is called by God and a part time miniter that is chosen by his church general overseer to pastor a branch of his church,I have heard churches encouraging brothers and sister in the Lord to attend Bible school and and appoint them as pastors of there church branch and also witness churches that do not allow such except you are call by God to be a minister,is there any danger in appointing someone to preside over a church without the calling of God
I Timothy 3:10 says those who want to serve as deacons must first be tested. How much more necessary a minister be at least tested.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,519,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Pls can I send you private message because I need a man oF God I can relate with for councelling and spiritual advice
I'm not sure if this was addressed to me, but you are welcome to send me a pm.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟561,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My advice is..
- continue/seek..to wait on the Lord.
- It might take time..for more clarity/detail.
---
Informative/helpful article.
'How can I discern a call to ministry?'
- compellingtruth.org/call-for-ministry.html
---
'Is God Calling You To Ministry?'
- Mark David Shaw
''Gifts and Callings'..deeper foundations.
- April Moore
*Kindle e-books.
- Assuming..Kindle e-books available..where you are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not sure if this was addressed to me, but you are welcome to send me a pm.
Indeed, and @Christon24 I strongly suggest talking to Paidiske, because she is a true professional. She and I do not agree entirely on everything, but in her work I can say definitively, Paidiske is an exceptionally caring, considerate and self-disciplined minister who cares about her people and the Christian faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way, the whole process of prayerfully working out the specific work God wants us to do, whether it is full time ministry or some other vocation, is called discernment, because working with your church, the idea is to discern, based on your unique gifts, what God desires of you.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If someone is not called by God, his/her ministry will be entirely dependent on their own natural abilities and education. They may even succeed in building an outwardly impressive work. However, it will not impress God and will be shown as fruitless at the judgement. (1 Corinthians 3:11-13)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
If someone is not called by God, his/her ministry will be entirely dependent on their own natural abilities and education. They may even succeed in building an outwardly impressive work. However, it will not impress God and will be shown as fruitless at the judgement. (1 Corinthians 3:11-13)

Frankly, this post is not helpful, because surprisingly few people these days feel called to discern a vocation, and the Scripture you provide does not actually support your specific claim, that being that someone entirely using their natural abilities and education to serve God in an outwardly impressive manner is both possible and also risks damnation.

I would assert that, rather, it is impossible to even desire to serve Christ our true God at all without a calling from the Holy Spirit, and if one is able to discern the specific vocation He has in mind for us, this is sufficient, and furthermore, while in ministry as in all things our salvation and our ability to save others is aided by the grace of God the Holy Spirit, the specific vocations we are suited for are dependent on those natural abilities and education that we have been blessed with, according to the will of our Almighty and most merciful God, so that, for example, a heroic local Presbyterian lady I know who runs a homeless shelter and is the chief chaplain for the county fire department (and consequently handles situations where the fire brigade needs a chaplain, for example, assisting the relatives of someone found unresponsive who the paramedics determined had died, or providing pastoral care to firefighters who have come across a gruesome scene, such as a child killed in a traffic accident), has very specific strengths that I lack, along with stupendous health, particularly considering she is in her mid seventies.

We are called by our Heavenly Father to offer the best of ourselves to Him, and in doing so we will be aided by God the Holy Spirit, for as Christ our God has taught us, to whom much is given much will be expected.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,519,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's a rather nice from Frederick Buechner that "vocation is the place where our deep gladness meets the world's deep need." If we see that our deep gladness is in being the person God created and gifted us to be, it makes good sense.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
There's a rather nice from Frederick Buechner that "vocation is the place where our deep gladness meets the world's deep need." If we see that our deep gladness is in being the person God created and gifted us to be, it makes good sense.

Indeed so, that is beautiful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Frankly, this post is not helpful, because surprisingly few people these days feel called to discern a vocation, and the Scripture you provide does not actually support your specific claim, that being that someone entirely using their natural abilities and education to serve God in an outwardly impressive manner is both possible and also risks damnation.

I would assert that, rather, it is impossible to even desire to serve Christ our true God at all without a calling from the Holy Spirit, and if one is able to discern the specific vocation He has in mind for us, this is sufficient, and furthermore, while in ministry as in all things our salvation and our ability to save others is aided by the grace of God the Holy Spirit, the specific vocations we are suited for are dependent on those natural abilities and education that we have been blessed with, according to the will of our Almighty and most merciful God, so that, for example, a heroic local Presbyterian lady I know who runs a homeless shelter and is the chief chaplain for the county fire department (and consequently handles situations where the fire brigade needs a chaplain, for example, assisting the relatives of someone found unresponsive who the paramedics determined had died, or providing pastoral care to firefighters who have come across a gruesome scene, such as a child killed in a traffic accident), has very specific strengths that I lack, along with stupendous health, particularly considering she is in her mid seventies.

We are called by our Heavenly Father to offer the best of ourselves to Him, and in doing so we will be aided by God the Holy Spirit, for as Christ our God has taught us, to whom much is given much will be expected.
KIng David had a good desire to build a temple for God. God rejected David's proposal. Jeremiah says that all our righteousness is filthy rags. Paul says that we can build with either substantial materials that are lasting or combustible materials that will be burned up. God is not in the business of helping us. All the glory goes to Him. If a work is not done by the leading and power of the Holy Spirit, it is worthless.

Upvote 0