Buddhist Mindfulness and Christian Vigilance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am interested in some discussion on the similarities and differences. There are many biblical exhortations to be watchful, vigilant, 'Keep watch". In my reading the seem to contain a moral element. Watch that you are ready for the coming. Watch and pay. Watch for the Adversary.

• Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
    Matthew 24:42
  • Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
    Matthew 26:41
  • But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord,
    I wait for God my Savior;
    my God will hear me. Micah 7:7
  • Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
    Luke 12:15

Meanwhile, Buddhist mindfulness seems to be more about nonjudgmental awareness. Starting with breathing and then thoughts and feelings. Just awareness without guilt or getting involved with them.
As the popular concept of “mindfulness” has grown exponentially over the past three or four decades, the term has been defined and interpreted in all sorts of ways and applied to all aspects of life, from business transactions to eating to sex. Indeed, being “mindful” is often viewed as an end in itself.

That, however, is not a Buddhist idea. It’s worth remembering that the Buddha never said that mindfulness can solve our problems—it’s just one skill among many that he taught on the path leading to cessation of suffering.

So While Buddhist Mindfulness is the recent trend, Christian vigilance is an ancient and perhaps at times forgotten discipline.

Thoughts?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am interested in some discussion on the similarities and differences. There are many biblical exhortations to be watchful, vigilant, 'Keep watch". In my reading the seem to contain a moral element. Watch that you are ready for the coming. Watch and pay. Watch for the Adversary.

• Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
    Matthew 24:42
  • Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
    Matthew 26:41
  • But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord,
    I wait for God my Savior;
    my God will hear me. Micah 7:7
  • Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
    Luke 12:15

Meanwhile, Buddhist mindfulness seems to be more about nonjudgmental awareness. Starting with breathing and then thoughts and feelings. Just awareness without guilt or getting involved with them.
As the popular concept of “mindfulness” has grown exponentially over the past three or four decades, the term has been defined and interpreted in all sorts of ways and applied to all aspects of life, from business transactions to eating to sex. Indeed, being “mindful” is often viewed as an end in itself.

That, however, is not a Buddhist idea. It’s worth remembering that the Buddha never said that mindfulness can solve our problems—it’s just one skill among many that he taught on the path leading to cessation of suffering.

So While Buddhist Mindfulness is the recent trend, Christian vigilance is an ancient and perhaps at times forgotten discipline.

Thoughts?

When one engages in hypnosis (whether by self or someone else) it's a false experience and at best is temporal .... it is not everlasting.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a Christian, I have practiced mindfulness. Not in the Buddhist angle, but psychological. It is like living and existing in the moment. Awareness of your surroundings, your perceptions, and senses. I find most ancient memories in my life spring from such moments of awareness. Peace

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a Christian, I have practiced mindfulness. Not in the Buddhist angle, but psychological. It is like living and existing in the moment. Awareness of your surroundings, your perceptions, and senses. I find most ancient memories in my life spring from such moments of awareness. Peace
And that sounds like "practicing the presence of God. Another aspect to keeping watch. Thank you.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being in a trance IS hypnosis.
For me it is the exact opposite of trance. It is awareness of the moment. Just "noticing" without thinking. Being still. Stop being distracted by the noise that is in my head. Shut it down and just absorb the here and now.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For me it is the exact opposite of trance. It is awareness of the moment. Just "noticing" without thinking. Being still. Stop being distracted by the noise that is in my head. Shut it down and just absorb the here and now.

I think it best to fill our mind with Christ, rather than emptying our minds.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟767,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The verses in the article seem to be a good application against deception by Satan. Keeping our guard up, we can proceed to then pray for the salvation of others and our own salvation.

I believe a sense of my mindfulness is expressed in Psalm 46:10 ( which I have trouble linking on CF but not other scripture)Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 46:10 - King James Version

We are to pray for all people and a hope of salvation see 1 Timothy 2:1-6. The Lord tells us to pray for evangelism in Matthew 9:36-38. We can pray the Lord’s commandments ( Matthew 22:36-40) and for others by the golden rule ( Matthew 7:12). The Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. There are the great prayers of Solomon in 2 Chronicles 6:3-42 & 1 Kings 8:15-61.

There’s a lot of stuff we can probably apply in our faith and a sense of mindfulness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And in that here and now the mind is not empty, is it. You are there. God is there.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist

Thoughts?
Only that, trends apart, Buddhist mindfulness is half a millennium more ancient than Christian vigilance ;)

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only that, trends apart, Buddhist mindfulness is half a millennium more ancient than Christian vigilance ;)
I find I can turn my mind off from distractions on the outside, and even distracting thoughts in the inside (bills, football, other persistent and ever present weights) but not God. God is always there for me, and more specifically Jesus. He is my bbf :blush: and is always there. My heart churns up when I even turn my attention toward Him.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, and I am wondering if Secular Buddhism has been the catalyst for recent popularity.
Yes, I think that may well be the case. There's a fascinating book called, provocatively, "Why Buddhism is True" (Robert Wright), which looks at the science and philosophy of meditation and enlightenment following the author's journey in the early Buddhist tradition (i.e. without all the religious baggage), and finds some surprising correspondences between the core practices and contemporary science (neuropsychology, etc).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, and I am wondering if Secular Buddhism has been the catalyst for recent popularity.
Having never really studied Buddhism earlier in life, I was surprised to discover that you can in fact be a Buddhist with or without theism. I have known believers who also practiced some concepts of Buddhism as to their "religion." I personally like the mindfulness aspect, as well as the separation from materialism. There are, of course, some serious contradictions.
We have all heard of the theories about Jesus travelling to India during His early adult years and being exposed to Buddhist philosophy. I have my doubts... but there are some practical compatibilities.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think an important aspect to both mindfulness and vigilance is being aware of our reactions before we act on them. Like when someone pushes our button and we almost reflexively respond with a harsh tone or remark. How much better to recognize that something has been triggered within is, a nerve has been touched and we recover from it before actually saying anything. That is the sort of thing I have in mind.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟174,846.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I haven't found a way to connect meaning of the Sanscrit words of Buddhism with Biblical Hebrew and Greek words. The English or Chinese translation of Sanscrit words is only the image in mirror, not Sanscrit itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
Having never really studied Buddhism earlier in life, I was surprised to discover that you can in fact be a Buddhist with or without theism. I have known believers who also practiced some concepts of Buddhism as to their "religion." I personally like the mindfulness aspect, as well as the separation from materialism. There are, of course, some serious contradictions.
We have all heard of the theories about Jesus travelling to India during His early adult years and being exposed to Buddhist philosophy. I have my doubts... but there are some practical compatibilities.
"serious contradictions"? Such as?

The original teachings (in as much as they can be established) aren't theistic, just useful mental practices for living a good life. As often happens, those good ideas and practices were embellished, extended, ritualised, and partially adopted by other religions. The Buddha's life was mythicized and a religion was built around it, swamping the the essential simplicity of the original message. Kind of reminds me of Christianity in that respect...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.