Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past
Jan 29, 2005
Southern Oregon
✟14,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi, Ann! God bless this new effort. I have worked at Authors' Conferences where well-known authors presented/signed, and I have friends who are well-received authors, and I offer these observations.

Make sure you are known -- first. Book yourself, or have a third party do it, in every available radio station or local TV station. (Don't forget that colleges and many high schools & middle schools broadcast now.) Preview readings for potential buyers: if it's an adult book, work through appropriate departments to do readings at colleges and clubs. If it's a children's book, hit the schools. Perhaps work through the PTA, well in advance. Do class-room readings and, for a special few gifted kids, offer a "how-to" session for an hour or two. Use newspapers: most have a spot specifically for calendared book signings & most have a column for local events, and these don't charge a fee. Contact those local newspapers and offer an interview for publication well before the signing. Be forward in your set-up; stipulate up front that you don't want to be in the back of the store. Bring your own table & chair, or find out the dimensions for theirs; bring a bright attractive table cover & a cheerful lamp. Know the route your attendees have to walk to get to you, and make sure it's quick & clear. Have your books carefully organized & inventoried & not just dumped in boxes. Pre-sign and year-date books to be available at the counter for those in a hurry. Look each person straight in the eye and smile, especially if no one is approaching you. Continually catch the eye of people waiting in line and smile, too. Ask for a specific note or sentiment to write. Practice writing very quickly -- a lot! Be comfortable & approachable: take off your shoes if you want (make sure your feet are clean & well-groomed!). Don't be caught complaining, whining, sighing, wishing -- it turns people off. Be prepared to take notes: what paid off? what didn't work? what will you do differently? Pray before you begin, while you're preparing, and throughout your signing -- for mercy, for the ability to grant grace to others (folks can be pushy and rude), for a sense of humor, for safekeeping, for bounty. Have fun! Praise God throughout! Good fortune, and God bless you greatly.

Reactions: Ann Doupont
Upvote 0

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, Constance, and welcome to CF!! This is a great place to share ideas!!

I did one book signing already, just after Thanksgiving, but only sold 2 books. Part of the "problem" was where I was -- inside a mall and the particular bookstore, and how they did things. The other part of the problem was my inexperience in book signings. That's why I was asking for help from others.

My book is a Christian Inspirational/Motivational. It also didn't help that they set me up right next to a large display of Chicken Soup books.

I like this store better, and how they're doing things. They already have some of my books on consignment. The other one didn't. With the other store, I had to run things through my books, so to speak. I didn't mind doing this, as I thought I'd make more this way. However, when customers wanted to pay by credit card, I had no way to do this and lost some sales.

Also, at that signing, I didn't have my business cards yet with the front cover of my book on it. Now, I have them.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. If you have any more ideas, please share, or even send me a PM.

God bless you.

Ann

Upvote 0

ConstanceB

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past
Jan 29, 2005
Southern Oregon
✟14,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
:wave: Hi, Ann!

You already know the right things to do, don't you? At your last signing, it could have been worse: instead of putting you by the Chicken Soup books, they could have put you by the chicken soup! :D

Proverbs tells us that a worker who is skilled will serve before kings; and again, that (s)he who works hard and doesn't expect "fast" money will be rewarded. What promises for you!

:bow: I read your profile. I'm going to try to find your book to read.

In the meantime, from I Thess: "May the God of peace BE your peace, at all times, and in every way." cb :amen:

Ann Doupont said:
Thanks, Constance, and welcome to CF!! This is a great place to share ideas!!

I did one book signing already, just after Thanksgiving, but only sold 2 books. Part of the "problem" was where I was -- inside a mall and the particular bookstore, and how they did things. The other part of the problem was my inexperience in book signings. That's why I was asking for help from others.

My book is a Christian Inspirational/Motivational. It also didn't help that they set me up right next to a large display of Chicken Soup books.

I like this store better, and how they're doing things. They already have some of my books on consignment. The other one didn't. With the other store, I had to run things through my books, so to speak. I didn't mind doing this, as I thought I'd make more this way. However, when customers wanted to pay by credit card, I had no way to do this and lost some sales.

Also, at that signing, I didn't have my business cards yet with the front cover of my book on it. Now, I have them.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. If you have any more ideas, please share, or even send me a PM.

God bless you.

Ann

Upvote 0

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Constance. Even worse than that, than being by the chicken soup, they could've put me IN it. j/k (just kidding).

Thanks for your post and your encouragement. For some reason, I had a feeling -- that if it didn't sell right away, it wouldn't sell at all. It did sell about 70 copies or so right away, but then slowed way down.

There is a time and a season for everything under the sun. Amen?

Ann

Upvote 0