Married
Politics
US-Others
Rumors_of_God_cover.jpg

Rumors of God
Experiencing the Kind of Faith You've Only Heard About
D. Whitehead & J. Tyson
(Nelson, 208pgs, $16p)

I hope I have learned a few things after all these years. One thing I know for sure is that a chief reason many people struggle with their faith is that they feel Christianity does not meet their expectations. When they were first sold on the idea of becoming a Christian they sincerely believed (or were led to believe) that the “abundant life” meant that they now had a magical formula for removing all their problems. Later, as they inevitably discover, that “many are the afflictions of the righteous,” they became discouraged because their problems do not disappear, they only change hues. They expected more. All Christians live in a tension between what they think scripture tells them and what they are experiencing in their lives. Thankfully, Darren Whitehead and Jon Tyson have confronted this dilemma in their book, “Rumors of God: Experiencing the Kind of Faith You’ve Only Heard About.” Their premise is that there are “rumors” about the faith that we have been told that simply are not true. If we believe them we may spend our lives dissatisfied, even disillusioned, seeking for that which does not exist.

On the other hand, there are “rumors” that are true that could transform our lives. When we do not know what is true and what is false we become spiritually lethargic, spending our energy and time in triviality, relegating God to the background, and pursuing the mundane at the expense of what could really change our lives. “Rumors” explores this idea in hopes of showing us how we should believe those “rumors” that are true if we are to experience “the kind of life we have only heard about.”

Whitehead and Tyson, like the good ministers they are, build their case on a scripture text from the ancient prophecy of Habakkuk: “I have heard all about you, Lord. I am filled with awe by your amazing works. In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by. And in your anger, remember your mercy.” Some of the scuttlebutt we have heard about the Lord is true, but unfortunately, as “Rumors” tells us, “for the most part, the desires and dreams of Christians are the same as non-Christians’. Essentially we are dreaming and longing for the same things. This seems odd—shouldn’t Christians be different from non-Christians? Shouldn’t our dreams be fueled by a different story?” Good point.

Whitehead and Tyson face “rumors” on ten fronts to give a biblical perspective of what is truly the “abundant life” Christ promised. Their assertion is that we need to stop pursuing our own dreams at the expense of God’s, identify and gain a firmer understanding those “rumors” that are true, in particular rumors about generosity, love, grace, freedom, commitment, community, justice, and hope. I think they have put their fingers on the pulse of modern American Christianity, given us an unsettling diagnosis, and proposed a remedy that could dispel all the false rumors of God you may have heard and replace them with the truth.

----------------------

Author’s bio

Darren Whitehead, a native of Australia,has been on staff at Willow Creek Community Church for 6 years. As the Teaching Pastor, Darren and Senior Pastor Bill Hybels share the weekend service responsibilities to provide teaching for all five campuses. With more than 160 paid staff under his supervision, Darren is one of the most influential voices shaping the future of Willow Creek. Darren lives with his wife, Brandy, and their three daughters just outside of Chicago, Illinois.

Jon Tyson, also from Australia, is the Lead Pastor of Trinity Grace Church in New York City. Jon moved to the U.S. 12 years ago and worked at several suburban mega churches in next-gen ministry before planting TGC four years ago. Jon works, lives, and serves in one of the largest cultural and future missionary contexts of the world, the urban center. Trinity Grace Church has churches in the Upper Westside, Upper East Side, Chelsea, Brooklyn, and the East Village. Jon has keen insights and experience in planting churches in the secular, post-Christian context. He lives in Manhattan with his wife, Christy, and 2 children.

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟719,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@JimB - it has been a while and I know you probably not going to read this - but in the off chance someone in your family or you do. I miss you, care for you and pray for you often. Thank you for your service to Christ.

Upvote 0