Bonsai

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've thought about starting some from a ficus tree, but I've never actually committed myself to taking the time. The most I do is look on eBay and at nurserys for some but I have yet to buy any!

I'm mainly into succulents and cacti. One day I'd love to have my own greenhouse. When I do get situated how I'd like to be I do think I'll start on bonsai also.

Do you have any pictures to show off?

Upvote 0

cgee

Oct 30, 2003
Nassau, Bahamas
Visit site
✟293.00
Faith
Other Religion
IvoryRain said:
I've thought about starting some from a ficus tree, but I've never actually committed myself to taking the time. The most I do is look on eBay and at nurserys for some but I have yet to buy any!

I'm mainly into succulents and cacti. One day I'd love to have my own greenhouse. When I do get situated how I'd like to be I do think I'll start on bonsai also.

Do you have any pictures to show off?
Ficus is a great tree to bonsai! I teach this art and we always start with Ficus. I use a Tropical method. We don’t use soil we use Sphagnum moss only. The Bonsai grow fast! You can cut the time it takes to grow a good specimen by years!

Where are you located! Can you keep you trees outside or is it to cold.

Yes, I do have pictures. I am still trying to figure out how to post them.

Upvote 0

cgee

Oct 30, 2003
Nassau, Bahamas
Visit site
✟293.00
Faith
Other Religion
Mylinkay Asdara said:
I would love to have some tips on Bonsai. I had one and it was going pretty good, but then my boyfriend's brother took care of it for a week while I was away and it just died after that. I think that he took too much off when he trimmed it.
That is the problem with allowing a non-bonsai type to look after your tress. They kill them with kindness! What was he doing trimming it???

Upvote 0

Mylinkay Asdara

Voice of Li'Adan
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Pagan
He saw Karate Kid and though it needed a trim... *sigh* he's only 16 so I guess I can't blame him... but I was a bit upset after the time I had put into it. I want to start another one, but maybe not the thorny kind again (it was some type of piney one) I'd really like a prettier one to meditate with... (I like meditating with my plants to help channel energy to them-ever read Celestine Prophesy?)

Any reccomendations (money is a factor so something I could get at a decent price would be a better option)

Upvote 0

cgee

Oct 30, 2003
Nassau, Bahamas
Visit site
✟293.00
Faith
Other Religion
Mylinkay Asdara said:
He saw Karate Kid and though it needed a trim... *sigh* he's only 16 so I guess I can't blame him... but I was a bit upset after the time I had put into it. I want to start another one, but maybe not the thorny kind again (it was some type of piney one) I'd really like a prettier one to meditate with... (I like meditating with my plants to help channel energy to them-ever read Celestine Prophesy?)

Any reccomendations (money is a factor so something I could get at a decent price would be a better option)
I don’t know were you live. But look in the phone book for growers. It is a sad fact that most Bonsai that are sold in the nursery are dead by the time you buy them. If you can find a grower who will help you will be ahead. Buy a small one - they are cheaper

No, I have not read the Celestine Prophesy. What is it about? However, I am a Buddhist and I learned Bonsai from a Master. We often used the making and tending of a tree a meditative practice.

Most of the people I teach are Christian. They do what they do for the love of the art. They don’t meditate on it but they tell me that they find a great calm come over them as they work with the trees. No surprise to us, right?

Upvote 0

Mylinkay Asdara

Voice of Li'Adan
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Pagan
No surprise at all.

Celestine Prophecy is a fictional work that is about a Manuscript that is supposedly found in Peru. The manuscript is in parts and involves the description of the evolution of mankind from what it is now to the next level of achievement. Mainly if focuses on growing spritually in order to use energies in the world around you harmoniously. I think as a Buddist that you might really like it.
One of the chapters details energy work with plants. When paid more attention to it's theorized that plants produce more food, more nutritious food, and are in general better health. Now, you and I already know this is true. A plant one spends time with is generally healthier than one that get's watered periodically and that's it. The reason that is noted in the book is energy exchange between the human and the plant. Of course, it is a fiction work, but a lot of truth is hidden in fiction much of the time and I have found that meditating with my plants and offering them energy of mine is a sure way to keep them healthy and vibrant. So I continue to do what seems to work.

I'll have to check to see if there are growers in my area... I'm in Illinios by Chicago so I'm wondering if there are. It would be awesome if there were and I could pick out a baby plant to raise myself!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cgee

Oct 30, 2003
Nassau, Bahamas
Visit site
✟293.00
Faith
Other Religion
Mylinkay Asdara said:
No surprise at all.

Celestine Prophecy is a fictional work that is about a Manuscript that is supposedly found in Peru. The manuscript is in parts and involves the description of the evolution of mankind from what it is now to the next level of achievement. Mainly if focuses on growing spritually in order to use energies in the world around you harmoniously. I think as a Buddist that you might really like it.
One of the chapters details energy work with plants. When paid more attention to it's theorized that plants produce more food, more nutritious food, and are in general better health. Now, you and I already know this is true. A plant one spends time with is generally healthier than one that get's watered periodically and that's it. The reason that is noted in the book is energy exchange between the human and the plant. Of course, it is a fiction work, but a lot of truth is hidden in fiction much of the time and I have found that meditating with my plants and offering them energy of mine is a sure way to keep them healthy and vibrant. So I continue to do what seems to work.

I'll have to check to see if there are growers in my area... I'm in Illinios by Chicago so I'm wondering if there are. It would be awesome if there were and I could pick out a baby plant to raise myself!
Illinois by Chicago? Should be many places there. Also, look for a Bonsai club. It must be getting cold there by now? (Not like here :yum: )

I will look out for that book. Thanks.

Good luck on you new tree. If you need my advice, you know where to post!

Upvote 0