Bible Preference

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I happened to be at the right place at the right time. They were giving away sample copies. Nice samples too, to be honest. Like leather covers, real paper. Unfortunately they were NT only Bibles (or as I like to call 'em "21st Century Marcion Heretic Bibles") but since they are only samples I was a bit more lenient :p.

Anyway, the translation is available online now at Common English Bible - Passage Lookup

I think it is also available on Biblegateway now. Hard copies will be published I believe in late September-early October, something like that.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I have a pretty big Bible collection, but my "go to" Bible is the ESV Study Bible. I like the translation, and the notes, illustrations and maps are exceptionally good. And I like the entire RSV family, of which the ESV is just the latest.

I also favor the TNIV and NIV 2011 over the NIV 1984. I guess I'm in the minority on that.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I recently got the LCMS Lutheran Study Bible that is ESV. I still have no clear favorite and use NIV ('84), ESV, CEV, CEB, NRSV, HCSV, AMP. I guess I'm a bit translationally promiscuous ;)

Upvote 0

Nikkolas

May 24, 2012
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Um, hello everyone. I'm not really a Lutheran but I have taken a gander at many Christian faiths and this quite honestly is the only one that really appeals to me. I was raised Roman Catholic but never really practiced it or believed in it much. That doesn't mean I rejected Christ though since I've always been sure there is more to life than just what we can see and know. I

But that's getting beyond the point. The reason I'm posting here is because I've never actually gotten through The Bible in its entirety. This fact plus my new-found interest in Lutheranism has made interested in finding a good version to start off with.

I see a lot of choices here but I was wondering what the Lutheran view of the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is?

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I see a lot of choices here but I was wondering what the Lutheran view of the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is?

Welcome to our forum!
There really is no official Lutheran stance on translations. You might find some firm statements about things like the message, but that's about as close as it gets. And in the ELCA that would be among certain members not officially.

I don't know too much about the NASB, but I would note that Lutherans tend to side with Protestants about the Apocrypha. Since NASB is largely in use by Catholics and your background is such, I would just note that the books of the Apocrypha are not viewed the same way by Lutherans as it is by Catholics.

BTW Good for you to think about cracking into the Bible. Its a hard practice, especially the first time, when one has too work through unfamiliar parts or highly repetitive or dare I say boring parts. But sticking with it is well worth it.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know too much about the NASB, but I would note that Lutherans tend to side with Protestants about the Apocrypha. Since NASB is largely in use by Catholics and your background is such, I would just note that the books of the Apocrypha are not viewed the same way by Lutherans as it is by Catholics.
I think maybe you're thinking of the NAB. The names are similar, but the NASB isn't Catholic, doesn't contain the Apocrypha, and is mainly favored by conservative evangelicals and non-KJVO fundamentalists.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think maybe you're thinking of the NAB. The names are similar, but the NASB isn't Catholic, doesn't contain the Apocrypha, and is mainly favored by conservative evangelicals and non-KJVO fundamentalists.

thanks for the correction.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Um, hello everyone. I'm not really a Lutheran but I have taken a gander at many Christian faiths and this quite honestly is the only one that really appeals to me. I was raised Roman Catholic but never really practiced it or believed in it much. That doesn't mean I rejected Christ though since I've always been sure there is more to life than just what we can see and know. I

But that's getting beyond the point. The reason I'm posting here is because I've never actually gotten through The Bible in its entirety. This fact plus my new-found interest in Lutheranism has made interested in finding a good version to start off with.

To answer your question about the NASB:

It was the Bible my church (not Lutheran) gave me when I came back to the Christian faith after years of wandering in confused seeker land, and so I have some affection for it.

I'd say it's the best translation for when you're looking for a very literal translation, at the cost of somewhat awkward English. Because of that, Greek students can sometimes use it to fudge a little, and it's one I always like to have available for study. But for daily use, I prefer better English. The ESV (or for that matter, either of its predecessors, the RSV and NRSV) does a better job of balancing those concerns.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I have a new favorite study bible in my collection: The New Interpreter's Study Bible (NRSV). It hits the Goldilocks "just right" spot by being scholarly and thorough, but not tied to any particular church tradition, and not too conservative or too liberal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums