Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i know the order of the OT books in most protestant bibles are not in the same order as they appear in a jewish bible, (eg. genesis - chronicles) but can someone tell me why?

also i heard recently that our new testament is also not in the earliest running order accepted.

Can anyone shed any light on these two questions?

Steve

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Hebrew Bible is arranged into three sections: Torah, the books of law, Nevi'im, the books of prophecy, and Ketuvim, the books of writings. This order was disrupted when the Tanakh was translated into Greek, from 285 BC, to create a document known as the Septuagint. The Protestant Bible is designed after the Septuagint in terms of book order. There are a few other differences: the Christian Bible splits Chronicles, Kings, and Samuel into parts 1 and 2 (or describes Samuel and Kings as Kingdoms 1-4) and the Minor Prophets into separate books, where in the original texts they were unified.

Any question of book order (and number) is complicated- there have been many versions, many decisions, and different sects of Christianity use different book orders.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.