Belfast
✟17,201.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was in a 6 month relationship with a strong believer in god but I am only returning to my faith. We split up after having a 4 hour discussion about our faith. We discussed his testimony and why I turned my back on god. We prayed together and I asked god to take my burdens from me and accept me back dispite disregarding him so many years ago. I feel this was a huge step forward not only for my faith and relationship without god but my relationship with my (ex)partner. We now study the bible and pray together regularly. Are we still unequally yoked or do you believe that due to my return to god we can work through this and become equally yoked? I do believe that this boy is who I am meant to be with but I don't want him to be with me for my selfish reasoning. Please offer me your honest opinions and advice as it is greatly needed.

Last edited:

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A yoke is a wooden bar that joins two oxen to each other and to the burden they pull. An “unequally yoked” team has one stronger ox and one weaker, or one taller and one

When oxen are unequally yoked, they cannot perform the task set before them. Instead of working together, they are at odds with one another.

The “unequal yoke” is often applied to business relationships. For a Christian to enter into a partnership with an unbeliever is to court disaster.

Unbelievers have opposite worldviews and morals, and business decisions made daily will reflect the worldview of one partner or the other.

2 Corinthians 6:14 is part of a larger discourse to the church at Corinth on the Christian life. He discouraged them from being in an unequal partnership with unbelievers because believers and unbelievers are opposites, just as light and darkness are opposites.

They simply have nothing in common, just as Christ has nothing in common with “Belial,” a Hebrew word meaning “worthlessness” (verse 15). Here Paul uses it to refer to Satan.

The closest alliance one person can have with another is found in marriage, and this is how the passage is usually interpreted.

God’s plan is for a man and a woman to become “one flesh” (Genesis 2:24), a relationship so intimate that one literally and figuratively becomes part of the other.

Uniting a believer with an unbeliever is essentially uniting opposites, which makes for a very difficult marriage relationship

If you're both believers then unequal yoked doesn't apply.

You said QUOTE: """We prayed together and I asked god to take my burdens from me and accept me back dispite disregarding him so many years ago"""

If your confession was honest & sincere. Then you have been forgiven.

Now, forgive yourself and move forward with confidence in the Lord.

Reactions: Olivia C
Upvote 0

Olivia C

Mar 6, 2017
Belfast
✟17,201.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A yoke is a wooden bar that joins two oxen to each other and to the burden they pull. An “unequally yoked” team has one stronger ox and one weaker, or one taller and one

When oxen are unequally yoked, they cannot perform the task set before them. Instead of working together, they are at odds with one another.

The “unequal yoke” is often applied to business relationships. For a Christian to enter into a partnership with an unbeliever is to court disaster.

Unbelievers have opposite worldviews and morals, and business decisions made daily will reflect the worldview of one partner or the other.

2 Corinthians 6:14 is part of a larger discourse to the church at Corinth on the Christian life. He discouraged them from being in an unequal partnership with unbelievers because believers and unbelievers are opposites, just as light and darkness are opposites.

They simply have nothing in common, just as Christ has nothing in common with “Belial,” a Hebrew word meaning “worthlessness” (verse 15). Here Paul uses it to refer to Satan.

The closest alliance one person can have with another is found in marriage, and this is how the passage is usually interpreted.

God’s plan is for a man and a woman to become “one flesh” (Genesis 2:24), a relationship so intimate that one literally and figuratively becomes part of the other.

Uniting a believer with an unbeliever is essentially uniting opposites, which makes for a very difficult marriage relationship

You said QUOTE: """We prayed together and I asked god to take my burdens from me and accept me back dispite disregarding him so many years ago"""

Thank you so much for your reply. Your advice has been very helpful and I know that forgiving myself for turning my back on god will be hard for me and will require a lot of work. I will continue to pray and let God guide me and help me forgive myself.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

This advice always struck me as embodying a prejudice toward nonbelievers, assuming that it is not possible for believers and nonbelievers to work together in the service of some set goal. That assumption is easily challenged by observing how such cooperation has been instrumental to progress in a myriad of endeavours.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

"Opposite worldviews and morals"? I don't think Christians are the only ones who have a sense of morality and all unbelievers are killing everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Olivia C

Mar 6, 2017
Belfast
✟17,201.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This advice always struck me as embodying a prejudice toward nonbelievers, assuming that it is not possible for believers and nonbelievers to work together in the service of some set goal. That assumption is easily challenged by observing how such cooperation has been instrumental to progress in a myriad of endeavours.
I understand your point of view but my partner claimed that the relationship was distracting him from his face with a we were not at the sameness point in our spiritual journey and our relationship with god was very different.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome on the teen area! I don't think I understood everything (don't worry, it is my fault), so please forgive me if I completely miss your point in my answer.
You know, I don't think anybody can really answer that question for you. You are the one who knows your boyfriend, and who knows mostly how far you are on your own path.
If you need a lot of time, for your faith, or simply to fix yourself, I think you should take it. Nobody could judge the sincerity of your faith, so honestly I think your boyfriend was wrong to tell that your were distracting him. 6 months of relationship is not a very long time, so please do not worry about it. If he truly considered you as a distraction from God, well I think you should worry a little. He has to let you take your own rythm - you have to let you take your own rythm. If you need to strength yourself in every possible way, please do it!
You will never be "equally yoked". And how would you know it? You are not in his heart, you cannot tell if he believes in God or loves you more than you do. I think you should concentrate on your own heart, and there is nothing selfish in it. You don't understand why God's belief is separating both of you, and you have the right to ask yourself and your boyfriend.
God will accept you, from what I know. So don't pressure yourself, enjoy life - and mostly take all the time you need to build yourself!

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivia C
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.