North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've recently started reading Bart's books ("misquoting jesus"," paul, peter and mary","forged") While i haven't finished any of these books yet i am starting to get worried that maybe we don't really know where the bible came from- how do you argue against Ehrman's central theme in his books that is: we don't know who wrote most of the books in the Bible and we don't know much about the authors themselves? Is anyone's faith also being shaken here? Any advice on this particular author? (i am reading prochristian material too but Bart's material is backed up consistently so its not really about reading from both sides because he makes arguments that apparently are common knowledge in scholarly circles that aren't told to the average joe in sermons)
Thanks
Ssoliman

Bart Ehrman is a fairly solid scholar, from what I've heard. I'm not really troubled particularly by the fact that we don't have absolute certainty regarding who wrote some of the Bible's various books, although I would argue for at least some of the traditional attributions (Luke's gospel, for instance, has similarities to the type of proto-scientific treatise a physician would have been familiar with at the time). I feel that Ehrman likely has a pre-existing tendency to discredit belief in the supernatural, so I wouldn't read too much into his belief that the Gospels are heavily fictionalized. It's an article of belief, whether one accepts the Gospels as fact or not. Ehrman chose not to.

I believe that the Gospels were almost certainly written in the mid to late 1st century, so I see no reason to disbelieve that the authors had contact with some of the individuals who knew Jesus while He was alive, including the Apostles. Luke, particularly, seems to have put a focus on having contact with first-hand witnesses (if he was Greek, as tradition asserts, or if he was a more Hellenized Jew, he may have had some knowledge of the historiographic writings of such early writers as Thucydides and may have wanted to craft his writing in a similar fashion). At some point, it does become a matter of faith. It's impossible to prove that the Gospels are accurate, although I would say that it's possible to prove that the authors believed what they were saying to be accurate and got their information from individuals who also believed that it was accurate.

Paul's writings, which I'm sure that Ehrman also challenges, have largely been challenged on the grounds of containing phrases which could sometimes been distinct from one another. Paul, however, almost certainly composed his texts with a scribe doing the actual writing (at least one of them has a section where Paul initially included his own writing in large letters to separate it from the work of the scribe, a suggestion that Paul may have had vision problems). Depending on the scribe and the one who was dictating, there could have been enough fluidity between what was said and what was written that textual discrepancies could have come from a different scribe. Other issues taken generally tend to assume that the writing was too advanced in terms of theological development to have been from Paul, but this assumes a priori that modern orthodox Christianity is not the religion founded by Jesus.

Bart Ehrman's biggest problem, in my mind, comes with his assertion that early Christians were divided into Gnostic and Proto-Orthodox camps, and that the latter evolved into modern Christianity. Taking patristic writings (those of the early Church fathers) into account, this position seems difficult to advance. As early as Ignatius of Antioch, who was a disciple of the Apostle John, a belief existed that Jesus was God. This shows that the belief goes back to the first century. Other early Christian writers suggest that a spiritual line of descent traced back to the Apostles also existed among Church leadership, whether you want to call it Apostolic Succession as the Catholics do or not. You can find this in the Bible itself (with reference to the laying on of hands in appointing new leaders, a symbolic passing of authority), and you can find it in the writings of Clement, an early Christian bishop of Rome from the first century who wrote a letter to a community farther east telling them that their leaders were in this line of succession and couldn't be deposed without good reason.

As early as the writings of Irenaeus of Lyons (a Christian bishop in Gaul), this was being used to prove that the Christian Church had inherited its tradition from the Apostles, while the Gnostics had not. Gnostic belief also suggested that the Apostles had passed down secret teachings, something which could suggest that they were trying to explain why the Apostles had never publicly made a statement to the effect of what they believe. Gnosticism, in addition, is a purely Hellenistic philosophy. Christianity, at its heart, is Jewish in its view of the Universe. While Gnostics tended to deny the goodness of the physical world, the Jewish view affirmed the goodness of physicality, and this view of a good physical existence would have been Jesus' message on the topic as a Jew. What Ehrman terms as Proto-Orthodox Christians held this idea whether they were Jewish or Greek, whereas Gnostics did not. This suggests a separate origin for Gnosticism, and I believe that it suggests that Gnositicism had origins in earlier beliefs and simply co-opted Judeo-Christian terminology in a sort of syncretism (mixing two religious systems).

If you have any more specific problems, I can try to help you with those. I'm a third year history student graduating in December of this year and hoping to get into a PhD program next spring, so I might be able to give you some good answers.

Upvote 0

jlmagee

Apr 5, 2011
Arkansas
✟15,388.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've recently started reading Bart's books ("misquoting jesus"," paul, peter and mary","forged") While i haven't finished any of these books yet i am starting to get worried that maybe we don't really know where the bible came from- how do you argue against Ehrman's central theme in his books that is: we don't know who wrote most of the books in the Bible and we don't know much about the authors themselves? Is anyone's faith also being shaken here? Any advice on this particular author? (i am reading prochristian material too but Bart's material is backed up consistently so its not really about reading from both sides because he makes arguments that apparently are common knowledge in scholarly circles that aren't told to the average joe in sermons)
Thanks
Ssoliman

Ehrman was an evangelical Christian who studied at Moody and Wheaton. He ran into higher/historical criticism at Princeton Theological Seminary (PTS). His studies there shook his faith. The last I heard, he considers himself agnostic.

I heard a podcast of Tony Jones (who was attending PTS at the time of the podcast) interviewing Bart Ehrman. The most memorable statement that Ehrman made was that Jones should not write books about theology because they were not "sexy" (controversial) enough to sell and get on the larger talk show circuit. That pretty much indicates what Ehrman's agenda is through his works.

I would think that most pastors who have gone to seminary would be aware of Ehrman's premises (most are not new). It is hard to discuss these topics in many congregations because it can become very technical and many will pick up on the problem and get lost on the evidence (internal and external) for the traditional view of the authorship and dates of the books of the Bible.

A good place to start that is online is NEW ADVENT: Home. It is a Catholic website that gives reasoning for various positions on dating and authorship of the books of the Bible. Just push on the alphabetic index at the top to go to the books. From there, it is really up to you to decide how far you want to go with your studies along these lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

LuxMundi

we don't know who wrote most of the books in the Bible and we don't know much about the authors themselves

This can shake a person's faith but it does not have to! When one studies theology at an academic level on recognises that what was taught in Sunday School is pretty much wrong, take the Gospel of John...this was composed somewhere between 80-110 C.E. by a writer within the Johannine community and it has undergone a complex process of editing. Does this mean that the Gospel of John is wrong and the Christian faith a hoax? Absolutely not!

On John check out The Community of the Beloved Disciple and The Gospel According to John. If you want any recommendations for other books of theh Bible just let me know! :)

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Thanks
Ssoliman

There is no good reason not to believe that the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were not written by people called Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

If the consensus of scholarly opinion is right in placing the composition of John at the end of the first century, then it seems unlikely that it could have been written by the apostle John, because he would have been a very old man by then. On the other hand, almost any dating of the New Testament documents is scholarly guesswork, and they can be wrong - especially if philosophical presuppositions, such as the impossibility of prophesy, enter into that guesswork.

Personally, I think Luke probably was written by Paul's travelling companion, but, when all is said and done, the identity of the human authors is not that important. Divine inspiration is what guarantees the Bible's veracity.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No offense or anything but Searching through James White's material was fine at first until i found out he's a calvinist...i just don't think itll help me(personally) to read a refutation by someone in my opinion who doesn't understand one of the most important messages in bible in the first place.-again really not trying to offend anyone

It is not theology James White is debating with Bart Ehrman, but the history of Christianity, and of the Bible. Would you refuse an operation from a surgeon because you disagreed with his politics?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟132,843.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks
Ssoliman

I think Ehrman lost his way during his scholarly journey.

I read 3 or 4 of his books years ago, when I was studying the history of Christianity. I will warn you that this kind of study can be a perilous journey, and it's easy to get lost in all the different books about manuscripts, variants, authorship of the original writings, etc.

I went through some dark times in my own study, but Christ pulled me back to Him. The Holy Trinity is powerful.

When you study, don't take your eyes off of Christ. Pray for knowledge of God's Truth and pray for protection during your study.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've recently started reading Bart's books

Why?

i am starting to get worried that maybe we don't really know where the bible came from- how do you argue against Ehrman's central theme in his books that is: we don't know who wrote most of the books in the Bible

Of course we do. It was a topic that the early church was extremely interested in, and so there's substantial discussion of it among early Christians.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This can shake a person's faith but it does not have to! When one studies theology at an academic level on recognises that what was taught in Sunday School is pretty much wrong, take the Gospel of John...this was composed somewhere between 80-110 C.E. by a writer within the Johannine community and it has undergone a complex process of editing.

Most scholars date the Gospel of John to before 100 (J.A.T. Robinson famously suggested a date as early as the 60s). Later dates run into the problem of an early 2nd century manuscript fragment found in Egypt.

Since the Apostle John lived to around 98 or so, this means that the gospel was written while he was still alive. Old men do write books, and early Christians credit him with the authorship, which leads to the idea that John really did write it. There are no strong arguments against John's authorship. And even if it was written by a "Johannine community" of which John was the leader, John must have had both substantial input and final approval of the text.

Nor are there any arguments supporting a "complex process of editing." Indeed, manuscript evidence suggests that there was no editing at all after the gospel was written.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think Ehrman lost his way during his scholarly journey.

I read 3 or 4 of his books years ago, when I was studying the history of Christianity. I will warn you that this kind of study can be a perilous journey, and it's easy to get lost in all the different books about manuscripts, variants, authorship of the original writings, etc.

I went through some dark times in my own study, but Christ pulled me back to Him. The Holy Trinity is powerful.

When you study, don't take your eyes off of Christ. Pray for knowledge of God's Truth and pray for protection during your study.

If facts are a threat to your faith, what kind of faith is it?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Certainly if you're interested in manuscripts, variants, authorship of the original writings, etc., you should read someone who is (1) actually a good scholar and (2) a Christian.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Certainly if you're interested in manuscripts, variants, authorship of the original writings, etc., you should read someone who is (1) actually a good scholar and (2) a Christian.

Facts are not dependent on whether the author is a Christian or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Facts are not dependent on whether the author is a Christian or not.

Yes, but accuracy of those supposed "facts" is dependent on (1) whether a scholar has an axe to grind, and (2) whether a scholar has sufficient understanding of Christianity to understand events in the early church.

Since the vast majority of Biblical scholars are Christian, it seems perverse to seek out the tiny minority who are not.

And Bart Ehrman combines shoddy scholarship with a strong anti-Christian agenda. I have no idea why anyone takes him seriously.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've recently started reading Bart's books

But I've just noticed that this thread is not in fact recent at all. Oops!

Please, mods, let it die.

4Zeah.jpg

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
. . . . . . .Since the vast majority of Biblical scholars are Christian, it seems perverse to seek out the tiny minority who are not. . . . .

Some of the books I read in my studies were written by non-Christian Scholars teaching in Christian seminaries.

Being Christian does not ensure excellent scholarship.

Some seminaries restrict what is and isn't taught. A great example of this is the 1980's "pickle have souls" controversy that arose in a meeting of Southern Baptist seminary professors. Adrian Rogers (then SBC President,) insisted that they must teach, "whatever they are told to teach. And if we tell them to teach that pickles have souls, then they must teach that pickles have souls!"

Here are 2 links: one pro and one con

So Much for Freedom

BAPTISTLIFE.COM • View topic - Baptists Today and the souls of pickles...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
. . .And Bart Ehrman combines shoddy scholarship with a strong anti-Christian agenda. I have no idea why anyone takes him seriously.

How do you determine what is "shoddy scholarship"? Are you a scholar? Are you educated in the ancient languages? How many manuscripts have you read and compared?

I think this is an important question for all of us, who are not educated in this area.

Upvote 0