✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay,

For those of you not familiar with me, I have been in the proccess of studying the Bible with the inductive study method. I've finished studying about 1/3 of the Bible using this method, but for some reason I keep getting called back to 2 Timothy (the book that I started with).

Here is where I'm stuck [Pastor Voice] :priest: Please open your Bible's to 2 Timothy chapter 2 verses 1 through 7.

1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.
6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

Verse 7 translated by the NIV Bible is "Reflect on what I am saying and the Lord will give you insight into all of this."

So in this letter to Timothy, Paul is passing on some serious wisdom. I've been pondering this section for a while, trying to figure out the significance of this and (question 1) Why does Paul consider these things so important to Timothy?

That translation is significantly different than the KJV, and places a larger emphasis on the importance of these nuggets of wisdom.

Here is basically what I have determined from specifically verses 4 and 5:

4. Do not get caught up in the affairs of the world because we are not of the world, we are part of God's army.

5. Play by the rules.

Obviously I'm wrong on one of these. My second question is this:

If we are not to become involved in the ways of the world, why are we supposed to play by the world's rules?

in Christ,

Zach

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
hmm...well the race that Paul usuall elludes to is the race in accordance to christ...remember run the race and recieve the prize? Maybe his instruction is to tell tim to stay on course to what he knows. Soliders ahere to their business as to the athelets...They stick to what they do best...defined by their "rules". What ya think?

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
LB,

That's in a very logical progression.

Here's where it takes a spin though. Other translations (particularly NIV) state verse 5 in this way

Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.

That would be the world's rules if you place the analogy into a working example.

Are you suggesting possibly that what is actualy meant is the rules according to God?

I can almost see where you would get that from the KJV translation, but it'd be a stretch with NIV and ASV translations.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"That would be the world's rules if you place the analogy into a working example. "

You don't think Paul is comparing the pleasing the commander and sticking to the rules as sticking to the gospel that you know? I'd say that explains the previous verses 1 and 2.

Upvote 0

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by LouisBooth

You don't think Paul is comparing the pleasing the commander and sticking to the rules as sticking to the gospel that you know? I'd say that explains the previous verses 1 and 2.

Yes actually, I agree and think that you hit the nail on the head. In verse four he is definately refering to God's authority, but the "rules" according to the NIV seemed to change the meaning.

Which is really too bad since I really do like the NIV and this is the first problem I've had with the translation.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Which is really too bad since I really do like the NIV and this is the first problem I've had with the translation"

Well its translated to the text is easy to read. Just make sure you have the greek and hebrew handy and read on ;) I use the NASB, the NIV for study and NLT for reading.

Upvote 0

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah no kidding LB,

As for question 1 (re-worded) "What is the significance of the words of wisdom from Paul?"

Reference verses 4 through 8. Verse 6 kind of stumps me too. Why does Paul feel this is so important for Timothy to understand. He calls for timothy to consider these thing in thoughtful prayerfor understanding.

Is there some underlying aspect that I don't see here?

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not quite sure on that one though. Verse 6 maybe Paul's way of saying as the ground breakers to the gentiles we will see the first "fruits" of bringing them to the Lord. I'm really not sure on that one. I am saying that he might be encouraging tim to say he might go through hardships (as talked about in verse 3 and 8- on) saying they will be the first marters for God. This is pure speculation on my part though.

Upvote 0
In 2 Timothy 1-7 Paul warns Timothy of the difficulties of the ministry and urges him to be strong, in contrast to those who defected. Faithful men were to be selected and trained to be leaders and teachers. Thus, personal discipleship was to be a vital part of Timothy's leadership. Endure hardness (literally meaning to suffer affliction): Paul illustrates this truth by a soldier, a athlete, and a farmer, all of whom suffer privation in order to be rewarded. Strive lawfully means to play according to the rules.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.