✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Since, after some bad experiences, I have decided not to formally affiliate with one church, would it be appropriate to attend multiple different churches at the same time, purely for the purposes of faith building, worship, and community engagement? For example, attend a Saturday service, and a Sunday service in the same weekend.

What is your opinion on this? Are the biblical grounds that refute such a practice?

Thank you

Reactions: public hermit

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello,

Since, after some bad experiences, I have decided not to formally affiliate with one church, would it be appropriate to attend multiple different churches at the same time, purely for the purposes of faith building, worship, and community engagement? For example, attend a Saturday service, and a Sunday service in the same weekend.

What is your opinion on this? Are the biblical grounds that refute such a practice?

Thank you

It sounds okay to me. I'd want to read up on the denominations you aren't familiar with,

Reactions: hluke
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,257,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello,

Thank you
I get the desire for variety. But there is an advantage to digging in at one spot. People know you. They can depend on you. You know them. You can depend on them. You can share the really deep things in life as you grow to trust people you get to know deeply. You can suggest things and see them adopted. Much to be said about putting down roots. And it is a place to be accountable to. I think that is actually necessary for a Christian.

We still got to the Cathedral a few times a year, and then different places while traveling.

Sorry to hear you had some bad experiences. Maybe you try them until you find the one you are definitively called to join up with permanently.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,018,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Thank you

There's nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

Thank you

It's too bad we all don't attend multiple churches. If we all did, we would end up being just one big church. ;) I am currently without a specific church and am thinking about making a rotation of the churches in my area. Over time I will know most all the folks that attend church in my area (rural area). In other words, I will know the church (ecclesia) in my area. It doesn't sound like a bad idea. I think the biblical grounds are that we should all be one church, so...

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟210,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We ARE one body in Christ. Denominations did not exist in the early church and whenever someone was tying to start up a new sect/denomination (Cephus, Apollus, etc) the Apostle Paul refuted them and in so many words ordered them to cease and desist.

So as long as you are saved in Christ any Christian church SHOULD welcome and accept you, unfortunately they do not, at least once they discover that you are not LIKE them.

It is wise, as another has said, to get or search an objective source for denominational doctrine. I have bought and used one, "Handbook of Denominations" is what I believe it is called and it is very objective and has been a good resource for me. Mine is a blue w/gold lettering, hardbound book. I am sure that there must have been several updated versions since I bought it. ALSO, and maybe better is to go to its web site and search there under tabs such as "About Us," or "What We Believe," or "Our Church/Denominational Doctrine." There you should also be able to find out what Denomination, if any, to which it belongs. Non-Denominational churches usually give you a pretty good idea in what they offer online. If a church has no web site in this age then it probably thinks that the internet is all evil or it is a church with exclusively computer illiterate people, all over 90? We, not just missionaries, have been told to go unto all the world and preach the Gospel and the www IS the most efficient/economical way to go.

My wife and I have had to wander/meander several towns for a church family. If you are looking to select a church for membership and get involved and serve, I strongly suggest ONE church at a time. There is just too much you need to discover. You MUST NOT assume anything or even believe what you are told. Everything needs to be certified by you guys. There is not one person in any church who is perfect, NONE are, just like myself and you. To find a church family requires time of regular attendance 2 or 3 times every week or more for a period of 3-6 mos, at least that is what it takes for my wife and I. And then you may have to start all over and over. It is VERY, VERY HARD work for us and can be discouraging. But in time if you persevere you will be rewarded. But if you are just looking for different pews to keep warm and then quickly depart, anything will do, esp. if you bring tithes and offerings.

May the Lord bless your venturing. Research each church first. If they make needed information HARD to find or get or just not available, I must assume in this day and age that they are trying to hide something. I believe that you can get a web page for free and certainly someone in the church should have the ability and basic knowledge to fill out the pre-formated web page(s.)

• Useful
Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds okay to me. I'd want to read up on the denominations you aren't familiar with,
Hi Phoebe,

I've been experimenting with Reformed doctrine, and that is very appealing to me. I'm trying to find a Church which does not have a Jezebel Spirit; ones that are fearful to preach the truth boldly, despite what society thinks. Unfortunately, my last Church experience (SDA) contained legalistic teachings, which bordered a cult in my view. Luckily I managed to pull myself out thanks to careful reading of the Pauline doctrine of freedom and grace in Christ Jesus.

I think the reason why I'm a bit concerned is because the bible talks about the church being the bride of Christ. So if I don't officially attend one, maybe I won't be a part of the bride?

At the moment, however, I feel satisfied keeping intimate with God.

Thanks for the recommendation

Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's too bad we all don't attend multiple churches. If we all did, we would end up being just one big church. ;) I am currently without a specific church and am thinking about making a rotation of the churches in my area. Over time I will know most all the folks that attend church in my area (rural area). In other words, I will know the church (ecclesia) in my area. It doesn't sound like a bad idea. I think the biblical grounds are that we should all be one church, so...
Hello,
That's another doctrine I'm confused about. Despite the many church denominations we are under the head of Christ. But does that essentially mean that we are spiritually involved in one 'Holy catholic church'? The petty conflict between denominations suggests otherwise?

Even though we disagree with teachings, surely we should all love one another which often seems missed...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello,
That's another doctrine I'm confused about. Despite the many church denominations we are under the head of Christ. But does that essentially mean that we are spiritually involved in one 'Holy catholic church'? The petty conflict between denominations suggests otherwise?

Even though we disagree with teachings, surely we should all love one another which often seems missed...

More often than not, we agree on more than we don't. But humans are petty. What are you going to do? Are you going to be a petty human, and thereby an anemic Christian? Or, are you going to be magnanimous? Some folks call it "gracious." I like "magnanimous." God is Magnanimous. Whatever. :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We ARE one body in Christ. Denominations did not exist in the early church and whenever someone was tying to start up a new sect/denomination (Cephus, Apollus, etc) the Apostle Paul refuted them and in so many words ordered them to cease and desist.

So as long as you are saved in Christ any Christian church SHOULD welcome and accept you, unfortunately they do not, at least once they discover that you are not LIKE them.

It is wise, as another has said, to get or search an objective source for denominational doctrine. I have bought and used one, "Handbook of Denominations" is what I believe it is called and it is very objective and has been a good resource for me. Mine is a blue w/gold lettering, hardbound book. I am sure that there must have been several updated versions since I bought it. ALSO, and maybe better is to go to its web site and search there under tabs such as "About Us," or "What We Believe," or "Our Church/Denominational Doctrine." There you should also be able to find out what Denomination, if any, to which it belongs. Non-Denominational churches usually give you a pretty good idea in what they offer online. If a church has no web site in this age then it probably thinks that the internet is all evil or it is a church with exclusively computer illiterate people, all over 90? We, not just missionaries, have been told to go unto all the world and preach the Gospel and the www IS the most efficient/economical way to go.

My wife and I have had to wander/meander several towns for a church family. If you are looking to select a church for membership and get involved and serve, I strongly suggest ONE church at a time. There is just too much you need to discover. You MUST NOT assume anything or even believe what you are told. Everything needs to be certified by you guys. There is not one person in any church who is perfect, NONE are, just like myself and you. To find a church family requires time of regular attendance 2 or 3 times every week or more for a period of 3-6 mos, at least that is what it takes for my wife and I. And then you may have to start all over and over. It is VERY, VERY HARD work for us and can be discouraging. But in time if you persevere you will be rewarded. But if you are just looking for different pews to keep warm and then quickly depart, anything will do, esp. if you bring tithes and offerings.

May the Lord bless your venturing. Research each church first. If they make needed information HARD to find or get or just not available, I must assume in this day and age that they are trying to hide something. I believe that you can get a web page for free and certainly someone in the church should have the ability and basic knowledge to fill out the pre-formated web page(s.)

Preach brother,

Satan wants division in the church.

And I completely agree with you on assumption. Every question we have should first be sought after in the bible, and bible questions are answered in the bible.

This is another reason why I seek sound doctrine. Although I do not, will not, depend only on the teachings of mere mortals like us, it is certainly better to have a pastor who has strong biblical grounding!

God first.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
More often than not, we agree on more than we don't. But humans are petty. What are you going to do? Are you going to be a petty human, and thereby an anemic Christian? Or, are you going to be magnanimous? Some folks call it "gracious." I like "magnanimous." God is Magnanimous. Whatever. :)
Very concise and helpful description! With some great words to add to my Christian vernacular. :)
Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Phoebe,

I've been experimenting with Reformed doctrine, and that is very appealing to me. I'm trying to find a Church which does not have a Jezebel Spirit; ones that are fearful to preach the truth boldly, despite what society thinks. Unfortunately, my last Church experience (SDA) contained legalistic teachings, which bordered a cult in my view. Luckily I managed to pull myself out thanks to careful reading of the Pauline doctrine of freedom and grace in Christ Jesus.

I think the reason why I'm a bit concerned is because the bible talks about the church being the bride of Christ. So if I don't officially attend one, maybe I won't be a part of the bride?

At the moment, however, I feel satisfied keeping intimate with God.

Thanks for the recommendation

I think a person's devotion to Christ is most important. All believers belong to Him. He motivates us even if we're in a prison cell like Corrie ten Boom was. IMO, she was amazing.

Acts 2:46-47
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Acts 13:48
And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

• Agree
Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think a person's devotion to Christ is most important. All believers belong to Him. He motivates us even if we're in a prison cell like Corrie ten Boom was. IMO, she was amazing.

Acts 2:46-47
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Acts 13:48
And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.
Amen to that!
Have you read "Vanya" by Myrna Grant? It is a very touching and powerful testimony of faith and utter devotion to God amid the oppressive Soviet Union in the 60s-70s.

Definitely recommend this book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟210,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Preach brother,

Satan wants division in the church.

And I completely agree with you on assumption. Every question we have should first be sought after in the bible, and bible questions are answered in the bible.

This is another reason why I seek sound doctrine. Although I do not, will not, depend only on the teachings of mere mortals like us, it is certainly better to have a pastor who has strong biblical grounding!

God first.
Yes, I agree. We also need the fellowship of saints. We need to be encouraged, to be able to share with fellow comrades in the war our battles, victories, and losses and listen to theirs. There are things we each have learned in our battles that can help another. And at times we do need to be held accountable and to hold our brother or sister accountable, to the Lord; to encourage in love, not to judge.

Oh, you can learn a lot from a churches web site. Like if you are looking for a church to raise a family in you can search for children's programs and go to their photo gallery and so much more. Of course, they should be very careful what pics they post due to sick people like the CSC types. but pics of pot lucks or parties at a distance should give you a good idea. Churches should have a good photographer for their web site photos and not just any member who volunteers, although one could be very qualified and do a great job.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...would it be appropriate to attend multiple different churches at the same time, purely for the purposes of faith building, worship, and community engagement? For example, attend a Saturday service, and a Sunday service in the same weekend.
Attending a church whose primary day of worship is Saturday would probably mean it is a member of only a few denominations and they are significantly different from most other ones.

But as for your basic question, there's nothing wrong with being a visitor, even a frequent one, and most churches wouldn't find the presence of a non-member to be upsetting or controversial. And there's no Scriptural reason not to do it for awhile.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen to that!
Have you read "Vanya" by Myrna Grant? It is a very touching and powerful testimony of faith and utter devotion to God amid the oppressive Soviet Union in the 60s-70s.

Definitely recommend this book.

Thank you. I'll look that up. I'm short on money right now, but I'll make a note.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟85,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

Thank you

Keep dating churches until you find the one you want to marry.

Nothing wrong with it. If it were? Lots of believers would be doomed to being stuck in bad churches.

Upvote 0