devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I understand that you do not believe in God. That's the extent of your position. There is nothing else for me to understand about your position until you offer reasons why I should stop believing in God.

If you have no reasons why your position is more correct than mine then there is nothing for me to understand other than the fact that you don't believe in God.

That's not the purpose of the thread. You can believe whatever you like for whatever reason. As long as it follows certain social agreements and laws... I really don't care.

This thread was an attemp to clear up misconceptions people like you jave about non-belief.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟491,004.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Main question to consider:

Is atheism a truth claim?

It is a claim about the contents of a person's beliefs. You'll have to define truth in this context, but it certainly is a claim about a particular part of reality.

If yes, then why is atheism true?

Because some people truthfully don't believe in any gods.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's not the purpose of the thread. You can believe whatever you like for whatever reason. As long as it follows certain social agreements and laws... I really don't care.

This thread was an attemp to clear up misconceptions people like you jave about non-belief.

It's not difficult to understand that some people do not believe in God because they can't find reasons/evidence to believe. However, this does not mean their position is the true and correct position to have regarding the existence God.

I have no reason to believe the multiverse exists, but I admit that it could still exist and the fact that I don't believe in it could end up being wrong and I'll have to admit that I was wrong for not believing, if it turns out to be true. It seems a lot of atheists have a hard time making that honest statement about an eternal God. I'm always glad to see it when they do because honesty is good :)

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is a claim about the contents of a person's beliefs. You'll have to define truth in this context, but it certainly is a claim about a particular part of reality.

Right, you're saying it's true that you don't believe in God. You are not saying that it's true that God does not exist.

Because some people truthfully don't believe in any gods.

Sure, I understand :)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand that you do not believe in God. That's the extent of your position. There is nothing else for me to understand about your position until you offer reasons why I should stop believing in God.

If you have no reasons why your position is more correct than mine then there is nothing for me to understand other than the fact that you don't believe in God.

Just curuious, have you noticed a trend in the many similar comments you get in regards to the content of you're posts?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just curuious, have you noticed a trend in the many similar comments you get in regards to the content of you're posts?

If I misunderstand you and then claim that you're wrong based on my lack of understanding, were you actually wrong just because I misunderstood? Or was I the one who was wrong for accusing you of being wrong when I was the one who lacked understanding?

If I'm not being clear, please ask for clarification before you assume that I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I misunderstand you and then claim that you're wrong based on my lack of understanding, were you actually wrong just because I misunderstood? Or was I the one who was wrong for accusing you of being wrong when I was the one who lacked understanding?

If I'm not being clear, please ask for clarification before you assume that I'm wrong.

Doesnt answer my question.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd really advice you to think through statements that you post, because being continually and demonstrably wrong can damage your credibility and encourage other people not take you seriously... because you don't take your own thought process seriously.

How would you tell a difference or know the truth about God if you believe in God and then die and God doesn't exist?
This has been pointed out a thousand times. He refuses to care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Replying a bit late:
I would say there is no in between if we are talking about belief.
In this topic it's about theism and atheism.
From the Greek theos -ism and atheos -ism.
The convinced are one of the 2.
It's nonsensical to believe in God existing only half and half not existing.
Either God exists or God does not exist.
So when you're neither an atheist nor a theist, you do not know what is true / have no conviction.
Not knowing is agnostic, literally.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you read my question?

I didnt expect you to directly answer, but thought i woukd give it a shot.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that you were alluding to the posts that say I'm wrong. My question is, what exactly am I wrong about?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I thought it was obvious that you were alluding to the posts that say I'm wrong. My question is, what exactly am I wrong about?

My question asked if you noticed a trend in comments many people have had about your posts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If atheists admit there's a chance your god exists, will you admit there's a chance it doesn't?

I already admitted there was a chance God didn't exist back when I was seeking the truth. I have since found the truth and have no reason to admit that there's a chance God does not exist because it's clear to me that He does exist.

It's not clear to you and that's okay, but this does not mean you can't admit that an eternal God could possibly exist. Just like I have no problem admitting that an eternal multiverse could exist, I just don't have reason to believe it's true because it has no effect on my life, but if it turns out to be true, I'll admit error for not believing and accept the truth.

Upvote 0