Are we being scared on a schedule with reports of deadly virus and bacteria? Zika! The new one.

MoonofIsaiah

LET YOUR SMILE CHANGE THE WORLD NOT VICE VERSA
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟16,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Uganda's Zika Forest, birthplace of the Zika virus

By Brent Swails and David McKenzie, CNN

Updated 1124 GMT (1924 HKT) February 3, 2016

160128185001-zika-mutant-male-mosquitos-mclaughlin-pkg-00020830-large-169.jpg

I think it was east Africa that was the birth place of the ebola virus. Now this is west?
Don't forget anthrax.
The picture of the mosquito with that red belly full of blood of this guy who I overheard talking years ago about HIV/AIDS.
Mosquitoes are flying hypodermics, he said. Imagine if the CDC and others made an announcement that HIV/AIDS spread through mosquito bites that transfer infected blood to new hosts. And the rebuttal that the infected viral HIV/AIDS blood doesn't live long enough in a mosquito to let that happen when offered as a dismissal of such a thought is actually a lie. So that chaos and panic don't ensue in wake of the truth.

I haven't checked, does anyone know the windows of time that occurred between first announcement years ago about anthrax? And then the following announcement of the fear of Ebola spread?
What's the period between Ebola and this?

I'll look too and update if I find it.

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The media blows up every time there is a new disease out there. It's a sensation machine. Fear sells.

This does not take away from the fact that new diseases are being discovered, rediscovered, and that old ones crop up in new ways all the time. This also doesn't take away from the fact that some of these diseases cause problems in humans and people need to be aware of the dangers, and need to be told how to protect themselves.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟396,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zika is mostly harmless unless you're either pregnant or getting pregnant.
From the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/zika/about/index.html
The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week after being bitten by an infected mosquito. People usually don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital, and they very rarely die of Zika. For this reason, many people might not realize they have been infected. Once a person has been infected, he or she is likely to be protected from future infections.

ETA:
More people will Die from the Flu than the Ziki Virus.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟334,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yet people will still flat out refuse the flu vaccine every year.
I haven't have time to get a flu shot. They seem to cost money. I haven't refused. I just have been to busy to check it out. I know when they first started with vacs on them. They were only recommending older people, pregnant people and kids. So I just stop paying attention. When I was in the hospital. They never even brought it up.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My company sent out an email that notified us that, in an effort to combat the Zika virus, there is going to be mosquito repellent in all the break rooms.

It's still winter. There aren't any mosquitoes around. We don't live in a region that has the mosquitoes that carry the virus.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I haven't have time to get a flu shot. They seem to cost money. I haven't refused. I just have been to busy to check it out. I know when they first started with vacs on them. They were only recommending older people, pregnant people and kids. So I just stop paying attention. When I was in the hospital. They never even brought it up.

I wasn't talking specifically about you, I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I know many people who have insurance that covers the flu shot (or it's offered for free with at their place of employment), who refuse to get the shot. These are people who work in jobs where they have a lot of contact with customers, so they are at high risk of catching and spreading the flu.

I work in customer service, so I think it's extremely important for me to get vaccinated against it. Even if I didn't work here, I'd still get the shot because I don't feel like being extremely sick. A person can spread the flu virus before they even start showing symptoms, so that makes it even more dangerous, especially if someone doesn't realize they are sick and they visit people who are at risk.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
My company sent out an email that notified us that, in an effort to combat the Zika virus, there is going to be mosquito repellent in all the break rooms.

It's still winter. There aren't any mosquitoes around. We don't live in a region that has the mosquitoes that carry the virus.
I wonder if they were serious, even if they did provide those things, was it more funny of them to offer mosquito repellent in the winter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Is your break room prone to be warm with standing water?:doh:

Upvote 0