Are infinity and non-existence distinguishable from each other?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Infinity means something that cannot be measured, but non-existence means something WHICH DOES NOT NEED TO BE MEASURED. Apples and oranges.
Once again I ask where you get this definition that deals with measurement. The inability to measure infinity is an attribute of the infinite, but infinity simply means it goes on forever without end.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Once again I ask where you get this definition that deals with measurement. The inability to measure infinity is an attribute of the infinite, but infinity simply means it goes on forever without end.
How do you measure something which goes on forever? By definition it is measureless.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you measure something which goes on forever? By definition it is measureless.

Measuring something is similar to experiencing the quality or value of something.

I want to know how tall a tree is so I measure it in order to know. By measuring it, I've experience the quality or value of it's height.

In that sense the only way to measure infinity would be to experience it. IOW, everlasting experience of existence.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟142,115.00
Faith
Agnostic
I´m just pointing out that you have to make up your mind:
Either you want to talk about "infinity" and "non existence" as concepts. In which case they aren´t measurable because that´s what all abstract concepts have in common: they aren´t measurable. You can´t measure the abstract concept "seven", either.
Or you want to talk about them as descriptors of an amount of a measurable [X]. In which case they are distinguishable. No pizza is distinguishable from an infinite amout of pizza. You can distinguish them by measurement: No pizza isn´t measurable - because there´s nothing to measure. With an infinite amout of pizza, you can start your measurements - you just won´t get to finish them. So as soon as you can even start measuring something you can tell that it does not not exist.
Do you feel the need to over complicated things? What do you mean by measuring abstract concepts.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Do you feel the need to over complicated things?
No. I feel the need for language to be used in a way that allows the results to be meaningful, though.
It´s pretty simple: An infinite amount can approached by means of measurements (even though without a final result). Something non-existing can´t be approached by measurement because there isn´t even a point where to put the yardstick (or whatever instrument of measurement you want to use).
So, the two are clearly distinguishable, and they are even distinguishable by means of measurement.
What do you mean by measuring abstract concepts.
Not to be rude, but when you don´t even know the difference between concepts and things, you aren´t prepared to juggle with stuff like "infinity" and "non-existence".
Hint: You yourself pointed out the difference between "reality" and "mathematics". Mathematics is a conceptual system.
You can´t even measure "seven", for example. Rather, "seven X" is a result of measuring (applying a mathematical concept to measure something in the real world).

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟142,115.00
Faith
Agnostic
No. I feel the need for language to be used in a way that allows the results to be meaningful, though.
It´s pretty simple: An infinite amount can approached by means of measurements (even though without a final result). Something non-existing can´t be approached by measurement because there isn´t even a point where to put the yardstick (or whatever instrument of measurement you want to use).
So, the two are clearly distinguishable, and they are even distinguishable by means of measurement.

Not to be rude, but when you don´t even know the difference between concepts and things, you aren´t prepared to juggle with stuff like "infinity" and "non-existence".
Hint: You yourself pointed out the difference between "reality" and "mathematics". Mathematics is a conceptual system.
You can´t even measure "seven", for example. Rather, "seven X" is a result of measuring (applying a mathematical concept to measure something in the real world).
I do, and here a tip, if you think it's rude then don't try to say it. I rarely lurk here as it gives me headache, from all the stupid crap being posted here, so don't try to assume much about me. Frankly I lost interest in the discussion already.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums