Are any of you ... Trekkies?

Cynthia85

Doctor... Captain Picard... Let's make it so!
Jun 21, 2006
Here for a while, heaven for eternity
Visit site
✟8,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oo! Oo! Oo! Me! Me! Me!

I have all of The Next Generation on video (yes, I said videos. They still exist :D). I watch TOS on the internet a lot. I also follow Brent Spiner, Wil Wheaton, and LeVar Burton on Twitter.

And I'm making a Uhura costume.

Definately one of the best Sci-Fi series ever.

Upvote 0

Cozen

Mar 27, 2006
Tswane in Gauteng
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Yip, I’m a Trekkie.
I own TNG and Voyager and some of the TOS movies.
Slowly expanding my collection but it is a bit expensive to import.

If I could ask a personal question: How does the Star Trek Universe worldview, which is mostly atheistic, impact on your Christian walk?

Just curious, not looking for heavy input, just your general opinion if it is OK with the owner of this topic… J

Upvote 0

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My name is Wade, and I am a trekkie.

Crowd: Hello, Wade.

The hallway in my house is lined with trek autographs! I have trek toys, posters, decorations, movies, memorbilia all neatly kept! I quote trek in my normal speech. Trek is wonderful!

I think the utopian idea of the federation (universal harmony amongst all people) is a great thing to strive for as christians!

Trekfan, sure! Love all of the series but Enterprise most of all.
Some trekkies would say that doesn't make you a trekkie. :p (I kid, I kid)

Upvote 0

Cynthia85

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
✟8,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My name is Wade, and I am a trekkie.

Crowd: Hello, Wade.

The hallway in my house is lined with trek autographs! I have trek toys, posters, decorations, movies, memorbilia all neatly kept! I quote trek in my normal speech. Trek is wonderful!

I think the utopian idea of the federation (universal harmony amongst all people) is a great thing to strive for as christians!

Some trekkies would say that doesn't make you a trekkie. :p (I kid, I kid)

... will you be my new best friend?

I mean, I knew you were already cool because you like Drizzt and Deadpool but this... is is nothing less then outstanding.

Upvote 0

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... will you be my new best friend?

I mean, I knew you were already cool because you like Drizzt and Deadpool but this... is is nothing less then outstanding.
Sure thing! ;)

Yeah i went to megacon a couple weekends ago, and I got to meet Levar Burton, Brent Spiner, John Delancie, Robert Picardo, and Nichelle Nichols. I was like a nerd at a sci-fi convention! Wait.... I was a nerd at a sci-fi convention! :p

Upvote 0

The Penitent Man

the penitent man shall pass
Nov 11, 2009
Clarkson, Ontario
✟16,654.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am a closet Trekkie. ;) :D

Not the kind who will dress up in a costume and go to conventions, but a Trekkie nonetheless. I don't own any memorabilia. I don't collect autographs nor have I met any actors from any of the franchises. I have noticed that on every Trek show they kind of go out of their way to bash on religion, a little bit or a lot. But that is part of the genre, I guess.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sure thing! ;)

Yeah i went to megacon a couple weekends ago, and I got to meet Levar Burton, Brent Spiner, John Delancie, Robert Picardo, and Nichelle Nichols. I was like a nerd at a sci-fi convention! Wait.... I was a nerd at a sci-fi convention! :p

I went to Decepticon, but it was just an empty hall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ListenToLogic

Mar 29, 2010
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yep I'm a Trekkie :) I love the TNG, but TOS is my favorite! Mostly becase of Spock :) I am actually surprised that their are christian trekkies. As some one here has already said the star trek universe was created by an atheist and is very atheistic in nature (something I love, the idea that in the future people will stop relying on such beliefs) TNG in particular. What are your veiws on this? Do you simply ignore this? Dismiss it? What? I'm not looking for a fight, more like a discussion. I am honestly curious. Please reply.

Upvote 0

Cynthia85

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
✟8,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep I'm a Trekkie :) I love the TNG, but TOS is my favorite! Mostly becase of Spock :) I am actually surprised that their are christian trekkies. As some one here has already said the star trek universe was created by an atheist and is very atheistic in nature (something I love, the idea that in the future people will stop relying on such beliefs) TNG in particular. What are your veiws on this? Do you simply ignore this? Dismiss it? What? I'm not looking for a fight, more like a discussion. I am honestly curious. Please reply.

Well, do you mean our views that it was created by an athiest? Or that the idea that people stop believing in a higher power?

Well, I'll give you my answer to both. Roddenberry wasn't an athiest, he was an agnostic, so he was open to the idea that there may be a higher power. Either way, it doesn't bother me. He had a tremendous vision and hope for the future, where people recognize the importance of helping each other. Just because he wasn't a Christian doesn't mean that that should be dismissed.

As far as higher powers and God, I think that the one thing that Star Trek gets across is that there's so much that we don't know. The universe is so large and there's so many different types of life (just here on earth) that you shouldn't dismiss the idea of powerful beings (look at Q). I actually don't dismiss the idea that there may be extraterrestrial life forms. I think God is big enough and creative enough to do anything and we shouldn't limit what He could do.

Side note: and could we keep this convo civil? I know things like this can often turn into a debate, and it would be nice if we could just share our opinions and thoughts rather then fight.

Upvote 0

ListenToLogic

Mar 29, 2010
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was refering to the fact that most people stopped believing in a higher power. If I were christian I think that would kinda bug me. And the Q thing was a good point. I appreciate your opinion :) and yes their is a lot we stilll don't know. Btw I didn't want a fight at least not here on a star trek thread lol.
Live Long and Prosper \\//_

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cynthia85

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
✟8,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was refering to the fact that most people stopped believing in a higher power. If I were christian I think that would kinda bug me. And the Q thing was a good point. I appreciate your opinion :) and yes their is a lot we stilll don't know. Btw I didn't want a fight at least not here on a star trek thread lol.
Live Long and Prosper \\//_

Thank you for clarifying :)

Nah, it never really bugged me because I never looked at it that the people of ST stopped believing. Like #1 Nonbeliever pointed out, the Klingons were a very religious people (Kahless) as were the Bajorans.

Upvote 0

ListenToLogic

Mar 29, 2010
✟7,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for clarifying :)

Nah, it never really bugged me because I never looked at it that the people of ST stopped believing. Like #1 Nonbeliever pointed out, the Klingons were a very religious people (Kahless) as were the Bajorans.

True, true. I guess I have always kind of over looked those religions because they were fictional. Are you implying that it is just the act of believing that matters? Or am I reading way to much into that statement lol :)?

Upvote 0