✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
TUESDAYTUESDAYApril 22

What He Taught About Forgiveness
(Matt. 6:12-14)

Of all the words that we might associate with Jesus, forgiveness has to be right there among the top. Jesus and forgiveness go together. Amid the excruciating agony of the cross, and as soldiers and people derided and abused Him, the heartrending words stumbled out through quivering lips: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing" (Luke 23:34, NIV). And in the Sermon on the Mount He went so far as to say that if we do not forgive those who offend us, then we should not expect God to forgive our offenses against Him (Matt. 6: 12,14,15).

What is Jesus teaching about forgiveness in each of the following passages?Mark 2:5-12; Luke 7:36-50; 17:3, 4; John 8:1-11.

The wonderful statements about forgiveness notwithstanding, what cautionary, balancing factors do we find in the following passages? (Matt. 12:31, 32; 18:6; Mark 14:21).

In Mark 14:21, Jesus uttered a woe upon the "man who betrays the Son of Man." But suppose that man were to confess and repent? In this connection, contrast the actions of Judas and Peter following their separate betrayals of Jesus. After witnessing Jesus' condemnation by those who had arrested Him, Judas, "seized with remorse," returned the betrayal money to the authorities; and his words seemed most appropriate: "I have sinned, for I have betrayed innocent blood" (Matt. 27:3, 4, NIV). In contrast to Judas' public display of regret, Peter's tears of penitence were shed in silence; nor did he return to Caiaphas' judgment hall to make amends for his shameful betrayal. Yet, the one was condemned, the other forgiven. What was the crucial difference?

How are we to understand forgiveness in a practical sense?

For instance, a woman can forgive a husband who beats her, but does forgiveness mean leaving oneself vulnerable to more abuse?

How can we forgive while at the same time be wise and prudent enough to protect ourselves and others from those who have violated our trust?

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Tuesday

What He Taught About Forgiveness

Luke 23:34 NIV 34 Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Luke 23:34 NKJV 34 Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." And they divided His garments and cast lots.

Matthew 6:12 NKJV 12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.

Matthew 6:14-15 NKJV 14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 "But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mark 2:5-12 NKJV 5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven you." 6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 "Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?" 8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, "Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? 9 "Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'? 10 "But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" --He said to the paralytic, 11 "I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house." 12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, "We never saw anything like this!"

Luke 7:36-50 NKJV 36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee's house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, "This man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner." 40 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." So he said, "Teacher, say it." 41 "There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 "And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?" 43 Simon answered and said, "I suppose the one whom he forgave more." And He said to him, "You have rightly judged." 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 "You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 "You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 "Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little." 48 Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." 49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" 50 Then He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

Luke 17:3-4 NKJV 3 "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 "And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him."

John 8:1-11 NKJV 1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act.

John 8:5-11 5 "Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. 7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

Matthew 12:31-32 NKJV 31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 18:6 NKJV 6 "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Mark 14:21 NKJV 21 "The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born."

Matthew 27:3-4 NIV 3 When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. 4 "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood." "What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

Matthew 27:3-4 NKJV 3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." And they said, "What is that to us? You see to it!" _________________________________________________

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
WEDNSDAYWEDNESDAYApril 23

What He Taught About Humility(Matt. 20:25-28)

In a 1995 survey, some athletes were asked the following question: If there was a drug you could take that would guarantee you'd receive a gold medal at the Olympics but that would kill you in five years, would you take it? More than 50 percent said yes. It is a commentary on the lure of fame and power on contemporary society. To be "in front of the camera," to hold millions drooling in the palm of our hand, that is the rage of the twenty-first century.

And that same general spirit can invade the church, if we do not remain constantly on guard. The lust for power over others (the drive to be in control, the hunger for the first place) has not diminished with the passing of the years.

Study the following passages in the context of this insatiable struggle for the top:

Matt. 18:1-6

Matt. 20:25-28

Matt. 23:1, 5-12

1 Pet. 5:1-4

The harsh events of history sometimes have sent proud dictators scrambling penniless among refugees, or cowering in solitary confinement, taking orders from third-class prison wardens. There even have been times when a monarch temporarily gives up the throne to make common lot with the marginalized members of society. But all these cases put together, voluntary or coerced, pale in comparison with the magnitude of the condescension we see in Christ. He was "in very nature God," Paul says; that is God of the universe we are talking about here! "But [He] made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." Descending further yet, "he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!" (Phil. 2:5-8, NIV).

In light of the Cross, in light of the amazing condescension of the Son of God, why should all forms of self-exaltation be brought to shame?

How can we protect ourselves from this subtle yet very dangerous form of self-deception?

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wednesday

What He Taught About Humility

Matthew 18:1-6 NKJV 1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 2 Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3 and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 "Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 18:5-6 5 "Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. 6 "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Matthew 20:25-28 NKJV 25 But Jesus called them to Himself and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. 26 "Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. 27 "And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave-- 28 "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Matthew 23:1 NKJV 1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, [/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif] [/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Matthew 23:5-12 NKJV 5 "But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. 6 "They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, 7 "greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.' 8 "But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9 "Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 "And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 "But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 "And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. [/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]1 Peter 5:1-4 NKJV 1 The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: 2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; 3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; 4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away. [/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Philippians 2:5-8 NIV 5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross! [/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Philippians 2:5-8 NKJV 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. [/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]__________________________________________________[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Your brothert in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
THURSDAYTHURSDAYApril 24

What He Taught About Grace-and Faith

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works" (Eph. 2:8, 9, NIV). The words are from the apostle Paul as he reflected on the Christian message of salvation, which he expressed differently than Jesus did. In fact, one might be tempted to ask whether Jesus believed in righteousness by faith. But to ask that question is to grossly misunderstand both Paul and Jesus. Jesus' approach to teaching about grace seemed at times to go in a different direction; one reason, incidentally, that we should not be too legalistic with one another over the exact formulas we each use to describe God's marvelous act of grace in Jesus, and our response to it.

Jesus came as the epitome of grace. He was grace personified. To encounter Him was to encounter grace. "We have seen his glory," John wrote, "the glory of the One and Only, . . . full of grace and truth" (John 1:14, NIV).

In the following passages, what is Jesus teaching about grace and faith?

Matt. 14:28-31

Matt. 20:1-15

Luke 7:36-48

Luke 15:11-31

John 8:1-11

From these passages, we learn something of the many ways Jesus taught about grace, through His parables and through the object lessons of His own life. How could Peter ever forget his utter helplessness in the face of the deadly elements that surrounded him that night on the lake? His only recourse was to cry out to a Power beyond himself. And instantly the response was there! No delay. No need for penance. No complicated formula or requirement. Just three words, coming naturally from his extreme desperation: "Lord, save me!" (Matt. 14:30, NIV). And immediately the hand of Jesus was on him. That is grace.

Of the various accounts listed above, which one speaks to you most powerfully of God's grace?

Having received such grace yourself, how can you be more willing to give it to others just as undeserving as yourself?

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thursday

What He Taught About Grace-and Faith

Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

John 1:14 NIV 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

John 1:14 NKJV 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Matthew 14:28-31 NKJV 28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." 29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!" 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

Matthew 20:1-15 NKJV 1 "For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 "Now when he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 "And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 "and said to them, 'You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.' So they went. 5 "Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did likewise. 6 "And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing idle, and said to them, 'Why have you been standing here idle all day?' 7 "They said to him, 'Because no one hired us.' He said to them, 'You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right you will receive.' 8 "So when evening had come, the owner of the vineyard said to his steward, 'Call the laborers and give them their wages, beginning with the last to the first.' 9 "And when those came who were hired about the eleventh hour, they each received a denarius. 10 "But when the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise received each a denarius. 11 "And when they had received it, they complained against the landowner, 12 "saying, 'These last men have worked only one hour, and you made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.' 13 "But he answered one of them and said, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 'Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 'Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?'

Luke 7:36-48 NKJV 36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee's house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, "This man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner." 40 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." So he said, "Teacher, say it." 41 "There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 "And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?" 43 Simon answered and said, "I suppose the one whom he forgave more." And He said to him, "You have rightly judged." 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 "You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 "You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 "Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little." 48 Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

Luke 15:11-31 NKJV 11 Then He said: "A certain man had two sons. 12 "And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.' So he divided to them his livelihood. 13 "And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living. 14 "But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want. 15 "Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16 "And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything. 17 "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 'I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, 19 "and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants."' 20 "And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. 21 "And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.' 22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. 23 'And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; 24 'for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' And they began to be merry. 25 "Now his older son was in the field. And as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 "So he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 "And he said to him, 'Your brother has come, and because he has received him safe and sound, your father has killed the fatted calf.' 28 "But he was angry and would not go in. Therefore his father came out and pleaded with him.

Luke 15:29-31 29 "So he answered and said to his father, 'Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. 30 'But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.' 31 "And he said to him, 'Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours.

John 8:1-11 NKJV 1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 "Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. 7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

Matthew 14:30 NIV 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Matthew 14:30 NKJV 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
FRIDAYFRIDAYApril 25

Further Study:

According to historian Huston Smith, Jesus' teachings "may be the most repeated in history. 'Love your neighbor as yourself. What you would like people to do to you, do to them. Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.' Most of the time, though, he told stories: of buried treasure, of sowers who went out to sow, of pearl merchants, of a good Samaritan. People who heard these stories were moved to exclaim, 'This man speaks with authority. Never spoke man thus!' . . . The most impressive thing about the teachings of Jesus is not that he taught them but that he appears to have lived them. From the accounts that we have, his entire life was one of humility, self-giving, and love that sought not its own. The supreme evidence of his humility is that it is impossible to discover precisely what Jesus thought of himself. He wasn't concerned with that. He was concerned with what people thought of God. . . . We have seen that he ignored the barriers that mores erected between people. He loved children. He hated injustice, and perhaps hated hypocrisy even more because it hid people from themselves."—The Illustrated World's Religions, pp. 212, 213.

Discussion Questions:
gdq1.jpg
Many issues that have concerned us in recent times Jesus never touched (drug abuse, health reform, homosexuality, slavery, cloning, abortion, etc.). What conclusions should we draw from these omissions?

What conclusions should we not draw?

gdq2.jpg
What role might Jesus' teaching on forgiveness play in issues of international conflict today?

How can Christians bring that teaching to bear upon the resolution of issues in their homes, churches, and communities?

When is forgiveness not the answer to the particular problems faced by nations and individuals, or is it always the answer?

gdq3.jpg
Notwithstanding its universal appeal, the Sermon on the Mount often is ignored when we confront the real problems of life. Why do you think this is so?

And how is it in your own life?

In what ways could you consciously try to apply these principles in your own walk with the Lord?

I N S I D E EI n s i d e Story

The Sidetracked Shuttle
by Homer Trecartin

Pastor Dave Weigley boarded the airport shuttle and sat down, eager to relax a little before his meetings. He thought of the evangelistic meetings he had held in this Florida city a year earlier and wondered how the new members were doing. And what about the people who had come to the meetings but did not make a decision to follow Jesus?

His thoughts were interrupted by a woman's voice. "Please, just drop me off on your way to the hotel." Grudgingly the driver agreed to take the woman to her home.

The shuttle bus wound through traffic and stopped in front of a familiar-looking block of apartments. Pastor Weigley jumped up to help the woman with her bag. "Do you live here?" he asked.

"Yes," the woman said. Excited, Pastor Weigley asked if a certain woman still lived there. The woman eyed him and slowly answered, "Yes, she still lives there."

The shuttle door closed, and Pastor Weigley sat down. This has to be more than coincidence, he thought. What does God want me to do?

The woman he asked about had attended the meetings he had held, but in spite of many visits and prayers, she had not given her heart to Christ. Now God had led him back to her apartment complex. Weigley promised God that he would visit the woman before leaving town.

A few days later Weigley returned to the apartment where the woman lived. As he climbed the stairs he thought, How do I greet someone whose name I don't remember? He knocked on the door, but heard nothing from inside. As he turned to leave, the door opened and the woman exclaimed, "Well, Pastor Weigley. Please come in."

He entered and found the woman had company-a friend and another pastor who Weigley recognized. The women were as surprised as he was. Pastor Weigley told the others about his experience on the shuttle bus. The other pastor explained that he had come to apologize for an incident that had happened years earlier.

The two pastors prayed and invited the women to give their hearts to Jesus. With tears in her eyes, the woman who had attended the meetings knelt and surrendered to Christ. This woman has since been baptized, in part because two pastors had followed the Holy Spirit's leading and found a wanderer ready to come home.

Our mission offerings support outreach-both organized evangelism and personal witness. Thank you for sharing God's love through your offerings.

DAVE WEIGLEY is president of the Columbia Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists in Maryland, U.S.A. Homer Trecartin is planning director for the Office of Adventist Mission at the General Conference.

Produced by the General Conference Office of Mission

Web site: www.adventistmission.org

Your brother in Chrtist,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Enjoy Sabbath School live from Sacramento Centeral Seventh-dy Adventist Church. This weeks SS Lesson will be persented by Pastor Doug Batchelor and the Sac. Centeral Pastoral staff. Just click the link below.
http://www.amazingfacts.org/Televis...2-2008/7/The-Wonder-of-His-Works/Default.aspx

You will also want to stay for the Church at Worship as Pastor Doug brings us The Great Temptation. Here's the link:
http://www.amazingfacts.org/Televis...QT/2-2002/7/The-Great-Temptation/Default.aspx

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
LESSON 6LESSON 5*April 26 - May 2

The Wonder of His
Works

gless05.jpg

dot.gif
SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week's Study: Matt. 4:23-25; 8:25-27; 11:2-6; 12:22, 23; Acts 3:19-21.

Memory Text: "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd" (Matthew 9:36, NIV).

Even the most cursory reading of the life of Jesus as presented in the Gospels reveals an interesting fact: With the exception of the amazing events surrounding His birth, very little of Jesus' childhood and early years are recounted. This gap has led to all sorts of speculation through the centuries about what Christ had done during all those lost years. Nothing, though, comes close to what Ellen G. White wrote in The Desire of Ages ("As a Child").

Instead, the Bible focuses on His adult life, specifically the three and a half years of His ministry. What a three and a half years they were!

The world has experienced nothing like it. His works, always for others, and completely without capriciousness, are presented as evidence of a new day dawning, the birth of the kingdom of God. The moment the Sermon on the Mount ended, the scene changed abruptly, with Jesus immediately plunging Himself into the needs of the people (see Matt. 8, 9). For Jesus it was not just words. He had the works to more than back up the words.

The kingdom of God had arrived, and Jesus was there to inaugurate it.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Lesson 55.*April 26 - May 2

The Wonder of His Works

Memory Text: Matthew 9:36 NIV 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

“Scripture taken from the NEW KING JAMES VERSION”. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson Publishers. Used by Permission.

Sabbath Afternoon

Review The Desire of Ages Chapter (As a Child) pp. 69-83

Read Matthew Chapters 8-9

Your brother in Chrisdt,
Doc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
[SIZE=+1]The Wonder of His Works[/SIZE]
(Matthew 7 & 8, Mark 5)

The Wonder of Jesus: Lesson 5
[SIZE=-1]Copr. 2008, Bruce N. Cameron, J.D. All scripture references are to the New International Version (NIV), copr. 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society, unless otherwise noted. Quotations from the NIV are used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers. Suggested answers are found within parentheses. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Introduction: Last week we studied Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and the kind of attitude it teaches that we should have if we want to be happy. Attitudes result in actions. This week we look at the kinds of actions which Jesus displayed towards us. Are these the same we should display towards others? Are these the natural out-working of the Sermon on the Mount? Let's dive into our lesson and find out!
  1. What Works?
    1. Read Matthew 7:15-18. I firmly believe that we are saved by faith, not works. What does this text teach us about the relationship of works to faith? (It says that a life of faith produces works in line with the faith. Works are evidence of faith just like apples are evidence that you have an apple tree.)
    2. Read Matthew 7:21. What is insufficient for salvation? (Talk.)
      1. Read Romans 10:13. How do you reconcile these two texts?(You should read the entire chapter: Romans 10:1-21. Paul argues that you can have "religious" actions without understanding God. Specifically, you do not understand God if you do not believe in Jesus. Paul instructs us that you have to put your faith in Jesus to be saved.)
    3. Read Matthew 7:22-23. If apples prove we have an apple tree, why do not miracles, prophesy and exorcisms prove these are righteous people?
      1. Read Matthew 12:24-25. How can you reconcile Jesus' statement that demons can only be driven out by the power of God, and His statement in Matthew 7:22-23 that God does not know some who drove out demons? (The whole thrust of Matthew 7 is identifying faithful people by their works. I can only conclude that these people are lying or self-deceived. Jesus calls them "evildoers!" Their lives reflect evil deeds, not God's deeds.)
  2. The Leper
    1. Read Matthew 8:1-3. Jesus just finished the Sermon on the Mount and He came down the mountain to be confronted by a leper. If you were a leper, what kind of an attitude, what kind of outlook would you have on life?
      1. List how you would feel. (I would have no hope or dreams for the future. I would know that life was only going to get worse. I look ugly and that will get worse. I smell bad. No one wants to be around me. No one has respect for me because they think it is my sin which caused my illness. I will never have a full life, instead I'm going to die miserably and alone.)
    2. Can you think of any problem that a person could have in life that would not, in a sense, be a part of the leper's problem?
    3. The leper said, "Lord if you are willing...." Put yourself in Jesus' place. Would you want to help this smelly, ugly fellow? What if you thought that touching the leper might give you leprosy and cause your nose to fall off? What about the problem of making you religiously "unclean?"
      1. Is there any benefit to Jesus in healing the leper?
      2. Is the Lord always willing to heal us?
      3. Which Beatitude is involved in this situation? (Matthew 5:7. Happy are the merciful.)
      4. Do we see at any time in the New Testament where someone came to Jesus and Jesus said, "No, I'm not willing to heal you?"
        1. Does the tree of your life reflect "mercy apples?"
  3. The Centurion
    1. Read Matthew 8: 5-8. What is the positive significance of this man being a centurion? (He was a Roman military officer in command of 100 men. The centurions were the backbone of the Roman army.)
      1. What is the negative significance of this man being a centurion? (He represented the foreign occupation army of God's land. He was a Gentile.)
      2. Do you think that it is unusual for the centurion to be asking Jesus for help for his servant? (I imagine the centurion was uncertain how he would be received by a Jewish teacher. Barclay says that in Roman law a slave was defined as a living tool. He had no rights.)
      3. A Roman writer on estate management recommended that farmers examine their implements every year and to throw out those which are old and broken - and to do the same with their slaves! Here the slave was paralyzed--why not just kill him?
        1. What does all of this say about the character of this centurion? Does he display the character Jesus commends in the Beatitudes?
        2. Or, is this just like the centurion coming to Jesus to get his tractor fixed?
    2. Notice that Jesus offers to come into the home of the centurion and, second, the centurion asks Jesus not to come. What is going on? Lousy housekeeping? (Read Acts 10:28. Here, Peter is talking to a Roman centurion! It was not proper for a Jew to visit the home of a Gentile. Both Jesus and the centurion know this and the centurion is trying to save Jesus from a difficult situation.)
      1. If I'm correct about this, why didn't the centurion bring the slave on a bed to Jesus? Do you think Matthew 5:5 (happy are the meek) has anything to do with this? (Assume that the centurion originally hoped his authority might have some influence. As soon as Jesus gave him a meek answer (instead of a righteous objection), the centurion immediately responded with a meek, face-saving response.)
    3. Read Matthew 8:9-10. Is the centurion modeling one of the Beatitudes here? (It may sound odd, but I think the centurion is modeling Matthew 5:9 - he is a peacemaker. Remember that peacemakers make peace between God and man? They show how Jesus bridges the gap between God and man. This centurion says that I can order people to do things at a distance. Surely God can do such a thing too!)
      1. Did the paralyzed slave have faith? (There is no indication.)
      2. Can you be healed based on the faith of someone else? (Seems so.)
    4. Was Jesus willing to heal the slave? (Yes)
      1. At what point? (Matthew 8:7 shows Jesus decided to heal before He heard the great faith statement of the centurion!)
        1. Why? (I think this is a demonstration of Matthew 5:7. The centurion was merciful to his slave. Jesus then showed mercy to the centurion and his slave.)
  4. The Sick and Demon Possessed
    1. Read Matthew 8:16-17. The reference is to Isaiah 53:4 where the prophet speaks of Jesus carrying our infirmities and diseases. Isaiah also writes of Jesus taking our punishment for sin. What do you understand this to mean? Can we claim physical healing to the same extent we can claim forgiveness from sin?
      1. Or, is Jesus suggesting that He identifies with the diseased, and therefore we sometimes suffer disease as part of our existence here? (I think both are true. When Jesus comes to permanently destroy sin and death He will also destroy disease. In the meantime, part of the human condition is to suffer from disease.)
  5. Ultimate Hope
    1. Read Mark 5:22-24. Put yourself in the place of this father, what kind of state of mind does he have in verse 22 and what kind of state of mind does he have in verse 24?
    2. Read Mark 5:25-32. What kind of state of mind does the father have now? (I would be ready to pop an artery. My daughter is dying, this is an emergency and Jesus is looking around to see who touched Him in the crowd!)
    3. Read Mark 5:33-35. What is the reason for the daughter dying? (Delay.)
      1. What does this tell you about Jesus' sense of priorities? Could He work in a hospital emergency room?
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
  1. Read Mark 5:36. What is the father supposed to believe? His daughter just died because Jesus was fooling around with a non-emergency case!
  2. Read Mark 5:42-43. Does the delay matter now? Would you now allow Jesus to work in a hospital emergency room? (This is one of my favorite stories in the Bible because it is a parable of our lives here. Things happen which make no common sense. God disappoints us sometimes. We think He is not paying close enough attention to His duties (at least with regard to our life). We learn from this story "Don't be afraid; just believe." We must believe that Jesus has conquered death. Time does not matter to Jesus. He will make all things right. When He does, the delay will not matter to you.)
  3. Friend, will you commit today to live without fear? Will part of the "apples" of your life be trust in Jesus even though you cannot see the logic in what is happening?
Next week: The Challenge of His Sayings.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]________________________________________________[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Your brother in Christ,
Doc
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
INTRODUCTION

A Hope Big With Immortality

Of all the people immortalized over millennia upon the pages of history, Jesus of Nazareth had the shortest period of public labor. Only three and a half years.

But what a three and a half years they were!

Socrates taught for 40, Plato for 50, Aristotle for 40, Jesus for not even four. Yet the impact of Christ's short ministry infinitely exceeds that of the combined 130 years of those three Greek giants.

Someone once wrote that "the grandest paintings of Raphael, Michelangelo, and Leonardo da Vinci are but a reflection of Jesus, the Light of the world. Haydn, Handel, Bach, and Mendelssohn gave to the world their best melodies in the symphonies and oratorios they wrote to glorify Jesus Christ. Art, culture, music, philosophy—all have been enriched by His teachings. But Christ offers far more than philosophy, art, and music. These cannot save. Jesus offers light and life and salvation to sinful men."

That statement, however eloquent, falls short of doing justice to the richness of Jesus, for that quote is in the context of the West only; Christ's appeal, in contrast, is universal, transcending all political, ethnic, and cultural borders.

"You should search the Bible," Ellen G. White writes, "for it tells you of Jesus. As you read the Bible, you will see the matchless charms of Jesus. You will fall in love with the Man of Calvary, and at every step you can say to the world, 'His ways are ways of pleasantness, and all His paths are peace.' You are to represent Christ to the world. You may show to the world that you have a hope big with immortality"—Life Sketches, p. 293.

With Jesus at its center, Christianity is also a historical religion, meaning that it revolves around a person whose life and work are amenable to historical study and analysis. Yet, at the same time, we cannot circumscribe Jesus Christ within the confines of history. For the reality of His person is suprahistorical (above history)—there's a point beyond which historical analysis cannot probe. History cannot take us into the mysteries of salvation, or into the wonders of what Christ's death offers the world. For all that history offers, it cannot begin to fathom what Ellen G. White called "a hope big with immortality."

This quarter centers on Jesus, on who He was, on what He taught, on what He did—and on what He is doing now. That last clause, "on what He is doing now", makes all the difference in the world. It is what might be called "the mystery of the present tense," a crucial element that distinguishes Jesus from every other historical figure, for what other historical figure, no matter how great, is doing anything for us now?

Who was this amazing Jesus? What was He like? What did He do while here? What is He, indeed, doing for us now? And finally, why should He be a concern for people in the twenty-first century?

The answers, as we will see, are far from academic. On the contrary, they affect the destiny of every human being.
Roy Adams, a native of the Caribbean, the author of this quarter's Bible study guide, is an associate editor of the Adventist Review, the international magazine of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. He is married to Celia (nee Wilson), and they have two adult children, Dwayne and Kimberly.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SUNDAYSUNDAYApril 27

What Kind of Man Is This?

Read Matthew 8:1-4. What do you find significant about these verses in regard to the reasons for Jesus' coming into the world?

The way Matthew tells it, the healing of the leper takes place as soon as Jesus comes down from the mountain. Fresh from delivering the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus runs smack into the furrow of human need in the valley. And the first challenge He confronts is leprosy, a symbol of our sinful human plight. Jesus touches the leper (what to make of that?), and the leprosy is gone! Such is the power of our Lord.

In what follows in the rest of Matthew 8 and in chapter 9, Matthew would depict Jesus as having power over nature: He calms the storm (Matt. 8:23-27); power over demons: He frees the demoniacs (vss. 28-33); power "over sickness, disease, and infirmity": He heals the paralytic and the woman with a hemorrhage (vss. 1-9, 20-22); and power over death: He brings Jairus' daughter back to life (vss. 18, 19, 23-26). Making it personal, Jesus has power over the storms of our lives, over the demons in our lives, and over the disorders (of whatever description) that plague us.

What lessons can we learn from Matthew 8:23-27?

In certain ancient mythologies, water was regarded as a foe that God overcomes. "To Israel, the raging, unruly waters symbolized the powers which are opposed to God's sovereignty."—The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1962), vol. R-Z, p. 809. The reaction of Jesus' disciples should be ours, as well: "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" (Matt. 8:27, NIV). In a way, their exclamation recalls a statement in the first chapter of Isaiah, where God calls heaven and earth to witness the rebellious determination of His people. "The ox knows his master, the donkey his owner's manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand" (Isa. 1:3, NIV).

Of all creation, His people are the only ones disloyal. So here we may well ask whether we are the only entities of nature to stand in resistance to Jesus. The winds and the waves obey Him. What about us?
Notes:

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sunday

What Kind of Man Is This?

Matthew 8:1-4 NKJV 1 When He had come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed Him. 2 And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean." 3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 And Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."

Matthew 8:23-27 NKJV 23 Now when He got into a boat, His disciples followed Him. 24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. 25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!" 26 But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. 27 So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?"

Matthew 8:28-33 NKJV 28 When He had come to the other side, to the country of the Gergesenes, there met Him two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no one could pass that way. 29 And suddenly they cried out, saying, "What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?" 30 Now a good way off from them there was a herd of many swine feeding.

Matthew 8:31-33 31 So the demons begged Him, saying, "If You cast us out, permit us to go away into the herd of swine." 32 And He said to them, "Go." So when they had come out, they went into the herd of swine. And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and perished in the water. 33 Then those who kept them fled; and they went away into the city and told everything, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men.

Matthew 9:1-9 NKJV 1 So He got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own city. 2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you." 3 And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, "This Man blasphemes!" 4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5 "For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise and walk'? 6 "But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" --then He said to the paralytic, "Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house." 7 And he arose and departed to his house. 8 Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men. 9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, "Follow Me." So he arose and followed Him.

Matthew 9:20-22 NKJV 20 And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. 21 For she said to herself, "If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well." 22 But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, "Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well." And the woman was made well from that hour.

Matthew 9:18-19 NKJV 18 While He spoke these things to them, behold, a ruler came and worshiped Him, saying, "My daughter has just died, but come and lay Your hand on her and she will live." 19 So Jesus arose and followed him, and so did His disciples.

Matthew 9:23-26 NKJV 23 When Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the flute players and the noisy crowd wailing, 24 He said to them, "Make room, for the girl is not dead, but sleeping." And they ridiculed Him. 25 But when the crowd was put outside, He went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose. 26 And the report of this went out into all that land.

Matthew 8:23-27 NKJV 23 Now when He got into a boat, His disciples followed Him. 24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. 25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!" 26 But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. 27 So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?"

Matthew 8:27 NIV 27 The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Matthew 8:27 NKJV 27 So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?"

Isaiah 1:3 NIV 3 The ox knows his master, the donkey his owner's manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand."

Isaiah 1:3 NKJV 3 The ox knows its owner And the donkey its master's crib; But Israel does not know, My people do not consider."

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
MONDAYMONDAYApril 28

The Sheer Marvel of It

It is not often that one pays attention to the paragraph headings in those modern versions of the Bible that have them. But one in Matthew 9 in the New International Version comes close to a comprehensive description of the wonder of Jesus' works of healing, mercy, and power. "A Dead Girl and a Sick Woman," it says. The words depict the challenge constantly confronting the Savior during His time with us; not the kind of challenge one could bluff one's way through. Yet, Jesus confronted it all. That day, the dead girl came back to life; and the bleeding woman, after 12 years of misery, got a brand-new start.

Reflect on the following passages (or at least as many as you are able). Do not write anything. Just simply be amazed by the sheer marvel of it all, at the wonderful Savior we have. (Matt. 9:27-34; 12:22, 23; 14:25-31, 34-36; 15:29-31; 20:29-34; Mark 2:1-12; Luke 6:19).

To grasp the full power of these passages, one must take them slowly, trying to recapture their original setting. In Matthew 12:22, 23, for instance, the man brought to Jesus is both blind and mute. Close your eyes and put a finger over your lips for a while, and try to imagine the condition of that unfortunate soul. In that state you do not know what is around you, and you cannot ask. But the man meets Jesus, and leaves His holy presence with eyes wide open and with his tongue unsealed in praise!

Then how about Matthew 15:30, 31. "Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute and many others, and laid them at his feet; and he healed them. The people were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled made well, the lame walking and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of Israel" (NIV).

(It even got better. Matthew 14:34-36 and Luke 6:19 tell us that people pressed forward to touch the Savior, "because power was coming from him and healing them all" (Luke 6:19, NIV).

Jesus promised that His followers will do greater things than He did. What does that mean?

Why are we not seeing such marvels of healing and restoration today?

Or, in some places, are we seeing it?

How does the church's healing ministry today compare with the example that Jesus set?

How can you as an individual in modern times help continue Jesus' healing ministry?

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Monday

The Sheer Marvel of It

Matthew 9:27-34 NKJV 27 When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, "Son of David, have mercy on us!" 28 And when He had come into the house, the blind men came to Him. And Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They said to Him, "Yes, Lord." 29 Then He touched their eyes, saying, "According to your faith let it be to you." 30 And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them, saying, "See that no one knows it." 31 But when they had departed, they spread the news about Him in all that country. 32 As they went out, behold, they brought to Him a man, mute and demon-possessed. 33 And when the demon was cast out, the mute spoke. And the multitudes marveled, saying, "It was never seen like this in Israel!" 34 But the Pharisees said, "He casts out demons by the ruler of the demons."

Matthew 12:22-23 NKJV 22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could this be the Son of David?"

Matthew 14:25-31 NKJV 25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." 28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." 29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!" 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

Matthew 14:34-36 NKJV 34 When they had crossed over, they came to the land of Gennesaret. 35 And when the men of that place recognized Him, they sent out into all that surrounding region, brought to Him all who were sick, 36 and begged Him that they might only touch the hem of His garment. And as many as touched it were made perfectly well.

Matthew 15:29-31 NKJV 29 Jesus departed from there, skirted the Sea of Galilee, and went up on the mountain and sat down there. 30 Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus' feet, and He healed them. 31 So the multitude marveled when they saw the mute speaking, the maimed made whole, the lame walking, and the blind seeing; and they glorified the God of Israel.

Matthew 20:29-34 NKJV 29 Now as they went out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him. 30 And behold, two blind men sitting by the road, when they heard that Jesus was passing by, cried out, saying, "Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!" 31 Then the multitude warned them that they should be quiet; but they cried out all the more, saying, "Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!" 32 So Jesus stood still and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" 33 They said to Him, "Lord, that our eyes may be opened." 34 So Jesus had compassion and touched their eyes. And immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed Him.

Mark 2:1-12 NKJV 1 And again He entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the house. 2 Immediately many gathered together, so that there was no longer room to receive them, not even near the door. And He preached the word to them. 3 Then they came to Him, bringing a paralytic who was carried by four men. 4 And when they could not come near Him because of the crowd, they uncovered the roof where He was. So when they had broken through, they let down the bed on which the paralytic was lying. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven you." 6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 "Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?" 8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, "Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? 9 "Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'? 10 "But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" --He said to the paralytic, 11 "I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house." 12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, "We never saw anything like this!"

Luke 6:19 NKJV 19 And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and healed them all.

Matthew 12:22-23 NKJV 22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could this be the Son of David?"

Matthew 15:30-31 NIV 30 Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute and many others, and laid them at his feet; and he healed them. 31 The people were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled made well, the lame walking and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of Israel.

Matthew 15:30-31 NKJV 30 Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus' feet, and He healed them. 31 So the multitude marveled when they saw the mute speaking, the maimed made whole, the lame walking, and the blind seeing; and they glorified the God of Israel.

Matthew 14:34-36 NKJV 34 When they had crossed over, they came to the land of Gennesaret. 35 And when the men of that place recognized Him, they sent out into all that surrounding region, brought to Him all who were sick, 36 and begged Him that they might only touch the hem of His garment. And as many as touched it were made perfectly well.

Luke 6:19 NIV 19 and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.

Luke 6:19 NKJV 19 And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and healed them all.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
TUESDAYTUESDAYApril 29

The Motive Behind It (Matt. 4:23-25)

Back in the 1980s, undercover investigators conducted a sting operation on certain American televangelists. Noticing that these preachers would invite people to send in their personal prayer requests to the broadcast, with urgent appeals that they enclose a gift "to keep the program on the air," the investigators wanted to know what happened to those donations and prayer requests. What they discovered shocked them. Staffers for the televangelists would go to the post office, collect the letters sent in by listeners, open them on the spot, fish out the donations, then dump the prayer requests right there in the post office trash bins.

In the key passage above, we read of Jesus traversing the entire area of Galilee, with huge crowds following Him from all across the region. And when Matthew returns to that same theme in chapter 9, he adds a critical dimension that forever distinguishes the motives of Jesus from that of these charlatans of the airwaves.

read Matthew 9:35, 36.

How does it describe the motive that propelled Jesus' ministry?

The word compassion comes from a Greek word (splagchnon) that refers to "the inward parts," "the bowels," considered the seat of the emotions in the ancient world. Compassion goes beyond sympathy (which merely can be intellectual). Compassion comes from the inside, from the heart and even the very gut. That is what Jesus had. For Him, grabbing people's money and dumping their heart-rending prayer requests into post office garbage bins would have been inconceivable. Again and again in the Gospels, the quality of compassion describes His attitude toward the people. A leper begs Him: "If you are willing, you can make me clean." Jesus, "filled with compassion," reaches out to him: "I am willing. . . . Be clean!" (Mark 1:40, 41, NIV); cf. Matt. 20:29-34; Mark 10:46-52).

If you can imagine someone doing all this with never a thought of personal gain, never a thought that what he is doing will be picked up by the press, or at least will look good on a resume-with absolutely no thought of personal gain whatsoever, then you are thinking about Jesus. The single force that moved Him was love, love from the belly, love from the gut. The Gospels call it compassion. To what extent does compassion like this undergird your feelings and actions toward others?

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Tuesday

The Motive Behind It

Matthew 9:35-36 NKJV 35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.

Mark 1:40-41 NIV 40 A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." 41 Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!"

Mark 1:40-41 NKJV 40 Now a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, "If You are willing, You can make me clean." 41 Then Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, "I am willing; be cleansed."

Matthew 20:29-34 NKJV 29 Now as they went out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him. 30 And behold, two blind men sitting by the road, when they heard that Jesus was passing by, cried out, saying, "Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!"

Matthew 20:31-34 31 Then the multitude warned them that they should be quiet; but they cried out all the more, saying, "Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!" 32 So Jesus stood still and called them, and said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" 33 They said to Him, "Lord, that our eyes may be opened." 34 So Jesus had compassion and touched their eyes. And immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed Him.

Mark 10:46-52 NKJV 46 Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging. 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 48 Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" 49 So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, "Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you." 50 And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus. 51 So Jesus answered and said to him, "What do you want Me to do for you?" The blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, that I may receive my sight." 52 Then Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
WEDNESDAYWEDNESDAYApril 30

Sign of a New Day (Matt. 11:2-6)

From his prison cell, John the Baptist sent an urgent message to Jesus: "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?" (Matt. 11:3, NIV).

For the reader of the Gospels, it is a surprising and unexpected question. Was this not the same John who so confidently announced the Messiahship of Jesus at the Jordan (John 1:29-36)? And why would he raise the question precisely after he had "heard in prison what Christ was doing" (Matt. 11:2, NIV)? What is important for our study here, however, is Jesus' response: "Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor" (vss. 4, 5, NIV).

Jesus' coded message to John was that His ministry was the sign of a new day dawning; the Messiah had, indeed, arrived. Surely in the back of Jesus' mind as He spoke were the glorious Messianic prophecies in the book of Isaiah, among others.

Read Isaiah 29:18, 19; 35:5, 6; 61:1-3.

How do these passages relate to Jesus' ministry?

Why do you think John and others were so slow to catch on?

The idea of Jesus' ministry as a fulfillment of prophecy and the dawning of the Messianic age comes through clearly in Matthew's own interpretation of events, in the way he anchors Jesus' activities in the broader, Messianic context: "This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: 'He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases'" (Matt. 8:17, NIV; citing Isa. 53:4). We see this same idea playing out in Matthew's summary description of Jesus' overall ministry: "Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd" (Matt. 9:35, 36, NIV; see also Matt. 4:23-25).

Looking back, we marvel at how John and others could have been so slow to see who Jesus was. Of course, hindsight is always very clear.

What about us today?

How might we be just as blind to what should be obvious truths?

More important, how can we change?

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wednesday

Sign of a New Day

Matthew 11:3 NKJV 3 and said to Him, "Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?"

Matthew 11:3 NIV 3 to ask him, "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"

John 1:29-36 NKJV 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 "This is He of whom I said, 'After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.' 31 "I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water." 32 And John bore witness, saying, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' 34 "And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God." 35 Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples. 36 And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, "Behold the Lamb of God!"

Matthew 11:2 NIV 2 When John heard in prison what Christ was doing, he sent his disciples

Matthew 11:2 NKJV 2 And when John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples

Matthew 11:4-5 NIV 4 Jesus replied, "Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

Matthew 11:4-5 NKJV 4 Jesus answered and said to them, "Go and tell John the things which you hear and see: 5 "The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them.

Isaiah 29:18-19 NKJV 18 In that day the deaf shall hear the words of the book, And the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity and out of darkness. 19 The humble also shall increase their joy in the LORD, And the poor among men shall rejoice In the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 35:5-6 NKJV 5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, And the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. 6 Then the lame shall leap like a deer, And the tongue of the dumb sing. For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness, And streams in the desert.

Isaiah 61:1-3 NKJV 1 "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, 3 To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."

Matthew 8:17 NIV 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: "He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases."

Matthew 8:17 NKJV 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: "He Himself took our infirmities And bore our sicknesses."

Isaiah 53:4 NKJV 4 Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted.

Matthew 9:35-36 NIV 35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

Matthew 9:35-36 NKJV 35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.

Matthew 4:23-25 NKJV 23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people. 24 Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them. 25 Great multitudes followed Him--from Galilee, and from Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and beyond the Jordan.

Your brother in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0