Visit site
✟8,865.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey, out of curiosity...does anybody else in here write Christian musicals?

Part of why I'm asking, I'll admit, is because I'm going to be starting a touring music theater company in Australia within a few years and will shortly be looking for scripts for evangelistic musicals... :)

FireRock

Call me a dreamer of the seemingly unattainable...
Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow! That's awesome! I hope all goes well with your preparations and all.

I have not written any musicals for the simple fact that I have no musical ability/understanding/talent. I believe God gave it to Mozart or Keith Green or Joy Electric.

I have tried though. My latest effort has been trying to write a rock opera...which is futial at best, I'm afraid.

I would be very interested in looking at what other christians have written in this arena as well.

Many kudos to those who have the ability and have succeeded with it!!!

Upvote 0

Godssong

Veteran
Sep 4, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟8,865.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wow! That's awesome! I hope all goes well with your preparations and all.
Well, thanks very much!!! :)

I have not written any musicals for the simple fact that I have no musical ability/understanding/talent. I believe God gave it to Mozart or Keith Green or Joy Electric.
well, not everybody can...I'm still having doubts about my own abilities... ;)

Upvote 0

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hahaha...well you're attempting, which in itself can be very rewarding, even through failure. :thumbsup:

Have you studied music in school at all (writing, notes, instruments, tecnicalities, etc.)? I never did, which lends to my inability to write anything. :p I have a few friends who have, so I figure that I could just bounce things off of them if anything ever got off the ground.

By the way, have you found anything yet along the lines of evangelistic or christian-based musicals? I would be very curious in reading something like that.

I was in a musical when I was young once and it was about representives from different states coming together and talking about how God and the founding fathers had made this nation (America) great. It was an Independance Day musical that a church I had gone to did. More just a medley of songs than an actual musical from what I remember.

I also saw a rock opera at a christian music festival I went to the summer before this past one. It was about a woodsman giving his life to save his daughter from an evil prince or something. I don't remember it fully (mostly because I got there after it had started) but it parralled the story of Christ's sacrifice for us, his children. The group that put it on was called Divebomb or Divebomber...I know they have a website. *shrug* I suppose if you're looking they might be a place to ask questions.

Upvote 0

bronzebender

Jan 19, 2007
✟15,169.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'd love to try to write one. This seems like something that is definitely for me and my God-given gifts, so I'll try to make one for you. :)

BTW, if you don't care whether or not there is music or not, my dad was in End Time Harvesters, a drama group that toured America. He shared some his plays with me he used during evangelism. I could share them if you want, of course you'd have to find the original author and whatnot, as I don't know who the original source of the play was.

Upvote 0

bronzebender

Jan 19, 2007
✟15,169.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ah! I got an idea for your musical and a bunch of songs. I'll try to write it but I think a collaboration would be great. :) A quick synopsis:

The play is called On Whitehorse Street. It revolves around the main character Don who one day decides he will do anything God tells him to do. So God tells Don to go evangelise to the people on Whitehorse Street. Don rejects the idea because the people On Whitehorse Street [Main Song] are all kinds of negative things and no way will they ever listen to me. But God tells Don what HE thinks about the people On Whitehorse Street [God's Reprise]. So Don goes and he meets all kinds of people (an athiest, a pleasure seeker, someone that's been hurt by the church, so on) are being fed lies by the evil postman (the devil). They don't listen to Don, as Don thought and each Whitehorse Street resident has their own song. However, just as he is about to give up, Don notices the postman coming by. As he comes by, he sees all the people immediately head to their mailbox and read their lies. The people on Whitehorse Street then sing about the wonderful "truths" they have received, such as God hates you, God is not real, God won't judge you, etc. The funny thing is that all the "truths" contradict each other. If God isn't real, how could he hate you? If God hates you, then he can't possibly not exist? This sends the people in an uproar as they search for THE TRUTH. Don takes the opportunity to blast these lies with God's word and is able to change the people and show them the truth. Then they sing for the last time about how On Whitehorse Street [Ending Reprise] how everyone is going to change and stop living sinfully.

So what do you think?

Upvote 0

FireRock

Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That...is...awesome.

I would have so much fun watching that musical. I'm not even kidding. Freaking brilliant, Bronze!!

As I read through the synopsis, i could picture the stage in my mind and see kind of how everything went and where everyone was.

Grand idea. Simply grand.

Everyone on Whitehorse Street singing about their sins reminded me of the musical "Cats" where each cat sings about who he/she is. The character of the postman/Devil would be a lot of fun to work with. It would be great watching Don grow throughout the story as things change (or stay the same) around him. Watching his determination and resolve grow.

Upvote 0