Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟128,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, a question- is it scriptural to anoint an unbeliever for healing with anointing oil? I was thinking, if it is scriptural and the person agreed to receive it they might get healed and then come to Christ! I have some anointing oil myself and I have anointed myself with it and I felt something supernatural, I got a burning sensation. If an unbeliever felt that it might be enough for them to believe!

• Love
Reactions: sunlover1

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hmm.

I am not familiar with the general and regular use of anointing [the head] with oil. I know this was done in the OT (and the women anointed Jesus' head with perfume) but as far as a regular practice, I do not know that is merited in the Bible.

However, I have prayed for healing for people in Jesus' name and they were healed and I am unsure if they were a Christian at that time or are today.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟842,699.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, a question- is it scriptural to anoint an unbeliever for healing with anointing oil? I was thinking, if it is scriptural and the person agreed to receive it they might get healed and then come to Christ! I have some anointing oil myself and I have anointed myself with it and I felt something supernatural, I got a burning sensation. If an unbeliever felt that it might be enough for them to believe!
James 5:14-15 is the only reference I can see in the New Testament concerning anointing with oil in connection with prayer for a sick person. James is writing to Christian believers; this is seen in the phrase, "If any among you..." He obviously doesn't include outsiders of the church, therefore there is no facility for unbelievers.

"Burning" sensations and such like seem like New Age stuff to me. If God heals someone through the anointing of oil, the person is healed instantly, and that is the evidence. It is interesting that LDS people sense the presence of God and the "truth" of the Book of Mormon by a burning sensation in their hearts as a confirmation. And yet we know that is not the Holy Spirit at all. Therefore, if, as an elder, I lay hands on someone crippled and in serious pain with arthritis, and anoint him with oil, and immediately the pain disappears, the joints return to normal shape and he regains full mobility, then I can assume that he has been healed by the power of God. I can then expect that a followup Xray will confirm the healing. But if the guy gets some kind a burning sensation, and the arthritis is still crippling him and giving him serious pain, then I would not give any credence that the sensation has anything to do with the Holy Spirit at all.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not going to limit the power and mercy of God. I am going to pray and believe for anyone who asks. I will do it in the name of Jesus and there will be no mistake about what I am doing.

• Love
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not going to limit the power and mercy of God. I am going to pray and believe for anyone who asks. I will do it in the name of Jesus and there will be no mistake about what I am doing.
:cheer:

Upvote 0