Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Anabaptist quotes for a quiet Anabaptist forum...feel free to add more.

"The idolatry of patriotism, believing that any one nation's or people's cause is so worthy that to it human lives-whether "friend" or "foe"-should be sacrificied, must be unveilied not first when it has actually led to open warfare but already when the possibility of such slaughter has been accepted into government plans. Not taking of life, but the idolizing of one's interest which leads finally to killing, is the deepest sin of militarism. Whether or not the sixth commandment forbids all killing is still debated; in any case the first forbids nationalism" [Thou shalt have no other gods before Me]

-John H Yoder (circa 1985)

And an oldie but a goodie:

"Once more, Christ is our fortress; patience our weapon of defense; the Word of God our sword; and our victory a courageous, firm, unfeigned faith in Jesus Christ. And iron, and metal spears, and swords we leave to those who, alas, regard human blood and swine's blood about alike. He that is wise let him judge what I mean."

-Menno Simons Foundation of Christian Doctrine 1539

These are two quotes I have written in the back of my "mennonite bible" [OK it's a Scofield that was given to me after my conversion but I call it my mennonite bible since it's the one I carried when I went to the mennonite church and has all my menno notes in it] , scribbled there sometime in 1988.

<<Next month will be 10 years when I came to CF~~and I was a drifting anabaptist rebounding from a 10 year love affair with Calvinism..my original username was "menno"...a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then but it seems like I'm finding my way back to the anabaptists after time spent with the Calvinists and Baptists and Evangelicals..this thread is a copy of one long since closed from Oct '05.
http://www.christianforums.com/t2256624/ >>

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heresy trial 1527~Michael Sattler's response to this charge:

Ninthly, he has said that if the Turks should invade the country, no resistance ought to be offered them; and if it were right to wage war, he would rather take the field against the Christians than against the Turks; and it is certainly a great matter, to set the greatest enemies of our holy faith against us.

Sattler said:

"Eighthly, If the Turks should come, we ought not to resist them; for it is written: Thou shalt not kill. We must not defend ourselves against the Turks and others of our persecutors, but are to beseech God with earnest prayer to repel and resist them. But that I said, that if warring were right, I would rather take the field against the so-called Christians, who persecute, apprehend and kill pious Christians, than against the Turks, was for this reason: The Turk is a true Turk, knows nothing of the Christian faith; and is a Turk after the flesh; but you, who would be Christians, and who make your boast of Christ, persecute the pious witnesses of Christ, and are Turks after the spirit.

Early Christian Life: Michael Sattler

Anabaptists: Michael Sattler -- Mennonites in Europe and Martyrs Mirror

Upvote 0