• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Am I destined to get cancer?

alliswell

Dec 6, 2013
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
My mom passed away 4 months ago with pancreatic cancer. She passed away 3 weeks after being diagnosed. However, the surgery she had to "cure" it is actually what killed her. It was the worst experience I have ever been through in my life. My dad passed away 10 years ago with esophageal cancer. Died 9 months after diagnosis. My grandpa on my mom's side died with lung cancer. My grandma on my dad's side died with stomach cancer..she also had breast cancer. My dad's sister had breast cancer and he also had two aunts that died from ovarian cancer. feel doomed. I am 42 and have a 39 year old sister. We pray that we will never get cancer, but there is so much of it in our family it's hard not to worry about it. Anyone else struggling with this? Thanks.

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've had quite a few relatives die from cancer, too. I just don't dwell on it and try to live as healthy a life as possible. You have a 10% higher chance of having cancer and that's not really that much. I understand your concern, though, and will pray for you.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First the spiritual- I believe people, including Christians, often reap what their ancestors have sown. In Deut. 11:26-32, God speaks to Israel concerning curses if they fail to obey. Certain sins bring curses that are passed down from generation to generation. In Deut. 27, there is an entire list of curses that God warned the Israelites about directly tied to their personal conduct. Deut. 23:2 for example.

Now we know from Galatians 3:13 that Jesus served as our curse and that through Him, curses can be broken. However, I don’t believe all curses are broken simply by accepting Jesus as our savior. Some things need a bit more than that. Keep in mind that God may have forgiven your sins, but not necessarily the sins of your forefathers. We also pray for sins to be forgiven, but hardly to break the curses that accompanied them. Curses aren't forgiven. They need to be broken.

Galatians 6:7 says, “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”

Galatians 3:[10]- “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.[11] But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.[12] And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”

Now consider verses 10 and 12. If we do not subject ourselves to the Law of Faith at any given moment, then it seems that we’re living under the Law. If Jesus serving as our curse in Galatians 3:13 was automatic, then Christian women would no longer be subject to the whims of their husbands and would no longer have great pain and sorrow during childbirth. But we find this is not so.

I venture to say that women who are walking after the Spirit, and not the flesh, would be covered under the promise in Galatians 3:13 and be set free from the Law of sin. This requires a lot more than just saying the sinner’s prayer. While Jesus provided a way for us to be set free, it doesn’t come automatically. Walking in the Spirit is an ongoing thing. Therefore, we find ourselves being subject to the Law and its punishments.

There was a gal in my church years ago prayed for God to lift the curse of Eve during childbirth. She testified that the birth of her child went very fast and easy and she hardly felt any pain at all. We believe God lifted the curse of Eve, at least for that one instance.

Having said all this, many Christians have been set free by praying for curses to be broken over their lives. They specifically addressed these curses and asked God to forgive the sin of their ancestors and to cancel the iniquity, claiming the blood of Jesus. I highly recommend this.

Now, the physical- Be aware of the food and drink you consume. Families in certain regions may be subjected to contaminated water and other things they consume. Diet also plays a role in cancers. Diets high in processed foods and sugars encourage cancers. We can go on and on, but I think you were more interested in the spiritual aspect.

Godspeed

Upvote 0
B

Bulan77

I wonder the same thing about cancer that runs in my family, namely colon cancer. It is scary, for sure, and I struggle with health anxiety. Some days are better than others.

But on my better days, I research how I can fight the odds with things like diet and lifestyle, and I plan how to make those changes in my life.

I also stay vigilant about changes in my body, and I don't mind bugging the doctor with 'one too many' visits. I'm prevention-oriented, and I take my health into my own hands. If that means getting a second or third opinion, so be it.

I'm also having to face my fear of dying head-on. It has unearthed some long-buried questions in me, specifically spiritual questions. I find myself reading works by Christian philosophers, theologians, scientists and other apologists, as well as listening to their talks and watching debates on YouTube. I'm driven to find answers to my spiritual questions so that if/when I do face a serious illness, I can be ready to fight it, but with peace and confidence.

Meanwhile, I try to fight my health anxiety by remembering what my passions were, what used to make me feel alive, and what brought me joy and a sense of anticipation. I try to discipline my mind to focus on those things as much as possible. Right now, for instance, that includes reading the books in my 'to read' pile, planning my garden for the year, making memories with my son, and sitting down with my Grandparents to record their memories.

I don't want to sound like I've got this all figured out, because I don't. Health anxiety, specifically about cancer, is a daily battle for me. But these are the things I'm using to giving me direction and hope these days. Maybe one of these ideas can be of help to you as well... :)

Reactions: RuthD
Upvote 0