Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I rarely post blogs or things like this, but I found this one rather interesting because of our use of the term "alpha male".

http://www.rd.com/advice/relationships/alpha-male-wolves/#.WKU7avM-csk.facebook

The article discusses wolves, and how we understand the "alpha male" to be one of dominance and aggression.... but....

Excerpt:
Or, as McIntyre put it: “It’s the alpha female who really runs the show.”

Clearly, our alpha male stereotype could use a corrective makeover. Men can learn a thing or two from real wolves: less snarl, more quiet confidence, leading by example, faithful devotion in the care and defense of families, respect for females, and a sharing of responsibilities. That’s really what wolfing up should mean.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟346,909.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wolves are very sociable creatures. They have a dominant male and female, lots of aunts and uncles to look after the young'uns but only the dominant pair are allowed to mate so as to keep the pack strong. Interesting analogy of natural selection of who gets the 'grace' of carrying on.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whenever I hear the term "alpha" in the context of human social relationships, I immediately assume that the author has noting of value to add to my life or knowledge. However, this article actually hits the nail on the head as to why. Our connotations of the term and how it's often used in regards to men, does not reflect at all on what the term actually means in regards to other species being the alpha of the pack or herd. It means leader more than it means dominant.

In almost every human group you are involved with, there's always going to be leader, no group exists without an alpha. We've all been in situations in our lives where have been the leaders in a group, and other times where we were not. That's the closest thing we have in our human species today as having true alpha males and alpha females, and it's something that sort of naturally happens.

I agreed with the part where she said "Which is more likely to survive and reproduce: the one whose members are more cooperative, more sharing, less violent with one another, or the group whose members are beating each other up and competing with one another." This is something that psychologist have used to argue the evolutionary aspect and benefit of altruism, and I personally argue is why we're getting more peaceful and will continue to become more peaceful overtime.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wolves are very sociable creatures. They have a dominant male and female, lots of aunts and uncles to look after the young'uns but only the dominant pair are allowed to mate so as to keep the pack strong. Interesting analogy of natural selection of who gets the 'grace' of carrying on.
I was wondering what you all think....could it be that this line of thinking, although logical for the improvement of humans as a species, be the very thing Hitler was attempting. A type of forced natural selection. If you have a physical disorder, you may be exterminated for the good of the fatherhood

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was wondering what you all think....could it be that this line of thinking, although logical for the improvement of humans as a species, be the very thing Hitler was attempting. A type of forced natural selection. If you have a physical disorder, you may be exterminated for the good of the fatherhood
He was a product of his time. Hitler [may his name be blotted out] was a firm believer in Eugenics. But there was nothing "natural" and EVERYTHING "forced" about the selection process. I suppose one could trace the roots of the movement to Sparta of ancient Greece where the elders of the city inspected every new born and threw out any not deemed to be physically superior. It was widely accepted in Europe and the US in the early 20th century.

In the US it spawned such institutions like Planned Parenthood which aimed at eliminating the blacks, the Natives, Jews, those with mental issues, etc by birth control, forced sterilizations, and (at that time) illegal abortions.

Thankfully it pretty much ended here after world war 2.

For more reading:
America’s Hidden History: The Eugenics Movement | Learn Science at Scitable

The Forgotten Lessons of the American Eugenics Movement

Upvote 0