Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Collecting models of them and drawing them is my hobby.

This thread is for those who enjoy the topic of aviation - military or civilian. I noticed there isn't really any threads here on this topic.

You can share links to articles if you want as long as they don't contain any profanity.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This thread is for those who enjoy the topic of aviation - military or civilian. I noticed there isn't really any threads here on this topic.

You can share links to articles if you want as long as they don't contain any profanity.
I have been privileged to meet some incredibly brave pilots. There was a small private gathering in my state and I was able to meet General Robbie Risner. There were a number of pilots there and they were in awe of him, he performed one of the greatest feats of aerial bravery I am aware of. He was a great promoter of determining the fate of missing pilots. There is a recent outstanding book called "Finding David," Risner was the commander of the missing pilot highlighted in the book.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,780,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We have Air Force veterans in the family. Would love to hear your stories.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While in the Military I was in Missile Systems. We targeted and loaded the launch codes into the Minuteman III missiles in Minot AFB.
I have been looking for a model of the missile for some years. Maybe even the LF (launch facility).
I may end up making my own.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,241,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am a Navy veteran, I actually repaired aircraft. The one in particular that I worked on was the A-6 intruder.
These two aircraft are from the squadron I was in - the VA-128 Golden Indruders.
Intruder wallpaper.jpg

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟292,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I am a Navy veteran, I actually repaired aircraft. The one in particular that I worked on was the A-6 intruder.
These two aircraft are from the squadron I was in - the VA-128 Golden Indruders.
View attachment 310519

I love the photo! it must have been hard, but rewarding, work, working on the Intruders.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,241,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I found it dirty but rewarding to work on the A-6. The A-6 was not a glamor girl like the F-14. The A-6 was old by the time I came on the scene in 1991 after have just finished the A-6 framp school at NAS Whidbey Island. She was a leaky aircraft. I was an Avionics technician. One of my jobs was inspecting the navigation radar - the doppler that was on the underbelly. It folded out in an assembly called the 'birdcage'. I had to wipe out the doppler radome of the oils and hydraulic fluid that puddled there.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I wished I still had the model I built of the Grumman F9F Panther, as a kid I hung it from the ceiling of my room and dreamed of the day I would become a Blue Angel.

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟292,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I found it dirty but rewarding to work on the A-6. The A-6 was not a glamor girl like the F-14. The A-6 was old by the time I came on the scene in 1991 after have just finished the A-6 framp school at NAS Whidbey Island. She was a leaky aircraft. I was an Avionics technician. One of my jobs was inspecting the navigation radar - the doppler that was on the underbelly. It folded out in an assembly called the 'birdcage'. I had to wipe out the doppler radome of the oils and hydraulic fluid that puddled there.

That sounds really messy, and I wouldn't be surprised if the oils and hydraulic fluid stank too. Since the A-6 was old when you worked on her, I'm guessing that the radar was quirky, and tricky to get working right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,241,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Trapping is very hard on a jet.
full

It is a controlled crash. Soon the airframe developed leaks along the seams. We used to say that if she didn't leak she was empty!

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟292,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Ouch! When I watch YouTube videos of carrier traps, I wince at how rough they look! I think that what you said about the jet being empty if she isn't leaking fits for the Tomcat as well as the Intruder, from what I've read.

I've read too about how Navy aircraft have much beefier landing gear and tailhooks, and beefed-up airframes, to handle the stresses of cat shots and traps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I've had that airplane doing circles for the last couple of days and also got that helicopter. You can kind of see in one of the pictures a big dark spot on the bottom of one of the wings. Looks like carbon. I can see it better in other pictures I took. Is that a Herculese?

IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5349.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wished I still had the model I built of the Grumman F9F Panther, as a kid I hung it from the ceiling of my room and dreamed of the day I would become a Blue Angel.
Don't forget Blue Angel Harley Hall, say some prayers for him and for his family. There was a report of a Blue Angel being paraded through the streets of Hanoi, and the government "effort" to find out what happened to him is a disgrace.

Upvote 0

Aquila Super Tomcat

⚡ Soaring Free ⚡
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2022
South Africa
✟292,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I've had that airplane doing circles for the last couple of days and also got that helicopter. You can kind of see in one of the pictures a big dark spot on the bottom of one of the wings. Looks like carbon. I can see it better in other pictures I took. Is that a Herculese?

View attachment 316137 View attachment 316138 View attachment 316139

I'm not very good at ID'ing transport aircraft or helicopters (I'm much better at fighter jets), but I think that plane could well be a Hercules. I think the dark spot on the wing could be the US Air Force roundel in low vis colours:
1280px-Roundel_of_the_USAF_%28low_vis%29.svg.png

Unfortunately, I can't help with identifying the helicopter; sorry!

Upvote 0